2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting also is in consideration. She was the only American skater to make the top ten overall numbers for ladies in the jgp (I saw a set of comparison on the Russian ladies thread). She’s the current junior lady closest in contention. I mean Alysa is amazing, but she’s not even junior eligible yet.

Ting has a ton of potential. I suspect the coaching change and a large move disrupted her focus during her competitions. But when she nailed her SP it was clear if she could rival anyone in the world with the exception of the Eteri girls. I think her combos are still new and she's not confident in them as she was in her combos last season when she posted a 3Lz+3T+Eu+3S+Eu+3S+Eu+3S+Eu+3S before JW. I think after she's had time to adjust as realize those scores are standard for her quality of skating she'll start attacking these programs again.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ting seems to have the fast-rotator type of body (narrow frame and thin). If she trains well, she is very promising because she appears to be very elegant on ice.
I remember she had a very good SP last year at her first JGP event, but bombed the LP too. At that time, it just looked she was getting familiar with her program.

Did she originally contact Rafael instead of Tom but was refused? There was a "rumored" Twit on her possibility of moving to Rafael from TSL in May.

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting seems to have the fast-rotator type of body (narrow frame and thin). If she trains well, she is very promising because she appears to be very elegant on ice.
I remember she had a very good SP last year at her first JGP event, but bombed the LP too. At that time, it just looked she was getting familiar with her program.

Did she originally contact Rafael instead of Tom but was refused? There was a "rumored" Twit on her possibility of moving to Rafael from TSL in May.

That was just a rumor. All that was confirmed was that she left Vincent and went to Tom. I think it's a good fit. There my be a 3A in her future.

katymay

Medalist
That was just a rumor. All that was confirmed was that she left Vincent and went to Tom. I think it's a good fit. There my be a 3A in her future.

Ting is capable of a quad/3A. The quad Lutz is the easiest to rotate, but the most difficult to do with any consistency. I do not think there are any men who have ever had a consistent quad lutz. (closest being Boyang). She is going to need one or the other, and that goes for all the women in this quad.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Why did Karen withdraw from Helsinki :cry::cry::cry: I wanna support her so badly since she's clearly so talented and people seem to have written her off already, but so many problems plague her and I fear a clean performance from her is like a Hail Mary.... why?!?!?!

(ok I know it's boot troubles but really)

macy

Record Breaker
Why did Karen withdraw from Helsinki :cry::cry::cry: I wanna support her so badly since she's clearly so talented and people seem to have written her off already, but so many problems plague her and I fear a clean performance from her is like a Hail Mary.... why?!?!?!

she's been injured, so this isn't surprising. I don't know if there's any info out there on the cause of her injury or if it was linked to boot problems. She was able to get back on the ice just recently, so obviously she hasn't been able to train for competition.

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting is capable of a quad/3A. The quad Lutz is the easiest to rotate, but the most difficult to do with any consistency. I do not think there are any men who have ever had a consistent quad lutz. (closest being Boyang). She is going to need one or the other, and that goes for all the women in this quad.

Do ladies really need a Quad? Things have been moving at lightening speed since JW. I guess training a quad/3A for ladies is going to be standard soon.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
she's been injured, so this isn't surprising. I don't know if there's any info out there on the cause of her injury or if it was linked to boot problems. She was able to get back on the ice just recently, so obviously she hasn't been able to train for competition.

Yeah, she just started training again October 4th. Give her some time. She’s still scheduled for Russia so fingers crossed she’s there.

andromache

Record Breaker
Ting isn't going to need a 3A or a quad. Like, that's ridiculous. Maybe to beat Trusova, sure, but she's not even there yet. She doesn't even have a JGP event medal. And that's not because of not having a 3A or quad - it's because she makes a lot of mistakes.

What she needs to do is focus on going clean in both program, improving her skating skills and presentation. Working on a 3A and/or a quad will be good for her, sure, but she doesn't need one in competition, especially where she's at right now in her skating. Don't put the cart before the horse. (I do think that long-term, a 3A could be in her future. Her 2A gets incredible height, and Tom Z. teaches great 3As, and is working with the Korean girls on 3As as well.)

Alysa is clearly a prodigy and she's laser-focused on being able to compete with the Russians when she's finally able to skate in juniors. Good for her - but I am worried about her getting injured and her jump technique long term. Still, it will be interesting to have a US lady on the JGP circuit who is competitive.

Pooja is developing slowly and steadily, and that seems to be working for her.

I hope to see Ting and Pooja at Junior Worlds this year.

ETA: Btw, no way in hell is Gracie going to have a real 3A in competition. She's spent months re-learning her jumps. At one point she was doing a 3A in a harness, and that practice seemed to really improve her technique on her 2A. Seriously, look at her 2As in Sochi versus her 2As in 2015-2016. Her 2A improved dramatically, which I think happens from training a 3A.

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting isn't going to need a 3A or a quad. Like, that's ridiculous. Maybe to beat Trusova, sure, but she's not even there yet. She doesn't even have a JGP event medal. And that's not because of not having a 3A or quad - it's because she makes a lot of mistakes.

What she needs to do is focus on going clean in both program, improving her skating skills and presentation. Working on a 3A and/or a quad will be good for her, sure, but she doesn't need one in competition, especially where she's at right now in her skating. Don't put the cart before the horse. (I do think that long-term, a 3A could be in her future. Her 2A gets incredible height, and Tom Z. teaches great 3As, and is working with the Korean girls on 3As as well.)

Alysa is clearly a prodigy and she's laser-focused on being able to compete with the Russians when she's finally able to skate in juniors. Good for her - but I am worried about her getting injured and her jump technique long term. Still, it will be interesting to have a US lady on the JGP circuit who is competitive.

Pooja is developing slowly and steadily, and that seems to be working for her.

I hope to see Ting and Pooja at Junior Worlds this year.

I wasn't saying right away, I meant in the future. You're right she needs to focus on skating clean. For a non-Eteri skater that's a process that takes time. I think what will help her be clean and nail a good short and Free program is focusing on the combos and training the back half more of her FS. She also needs to get more mileage on her programs. I think she'll be good around Nationals.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do ladies really need a Quad? Things have been moving at lightening speed since JW. I guess training a quad/3A for ladies is going to be standard soon.

IMO....No! A couple of well executed 3/3's and I'm a very happy Man. Give me quality skating with deep edges, good spins, and performance quality.

princessalica

Final Flight
So I was reading an article about ALysa from January and it said she had the second highest US ladies junior score ever. I thought that the record holder might be Gracie. I was wrong. Its Amber Glenn. She scored higher as a junior than she does now. If only we could get her to skate to her potential, she could do great things!

RobinA

On the Ice
So I was reading an article about ALysa from January and it said she had the second highest US ladies junior score ever. I thought that the record holder might be Gracie. I was wrong. Its Amber Glenn. She scored higher as a junior than she does now. If only we could get her to skate to her potential, she could do great things!

I think history has pretty much proven that juniors is not seniors.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ting needs to skate clean first, before attempting 3A or any quad. Many say nerves got her at the recent JGP event in her LP, but she got almost an identical score in the LP as in her previous JGP event, where she scored significantly less in her SP. Landing a 3A but fall on other jumps or lose levels on spins and steps is not going to help.

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting needs to skate clean first, before attempting 3A or any quad. Many say nerves got her at the recent JGP event in her LP, but she got almost an identical score in the LP as in her previous JGP event, where she scored significantly less in her SP. Landing a 3A but fall on other jumps or lose levels on spins and steps is not going to help.

It wasn't just nerves. It was getting a 70 for her SP. I've seen it a thousand times, massive SP score, crap out at the FS. It's so distracting! That score was higher than all other Juniors except for the Eteri ladies. Even bigger than Yelim! There are girls that back loaded 3Lz+3T combos that didn't come close to a 70! That score was massive, I don't blame her for being off.

The next thing is Tom is adjusting her technique of her jumps. She's doing a rippon Lutz and Rippon toe combo. Last year only her 3T+3T where rippons. There's also a clear change in technique with her Euler Sachoq combo. Last year she could stick on on any jump. Which is exactly what she did at JW when she missed it on her 3Lz, she stuck it on a 3F. (Super impressive.) This year she looks almost like she is about to step out of her flip. The edge just doesn't look at stable as before. When she fell on her Euler combo I knew she wa thinking about putting it on either her lutz or flip. Not surprisingly, those were the jumps she fell on. I don't think she realized she needs to be super trained for that moment.

So no it's not as easy as saying she needs to focus on skating clean. She has to focus on elements that distract her from skating clean. Last year she bombed in her FS at the JGP, then she was amazing at JW. She just needs more time to focus on her technique and get more experience the increased difficulty of her elements.

But that doesn't mean she shouldn't train a 3A or quad. There's plenty of time to improve the consistency of her elements as well as a few minutes each day to train a few hard jumps for fun.

bubblecherry

Final Flight

She was injured for like 3 months, off ice completely for about 2 months, and just got back on ice a week or two ago.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, I agree. Any US woman landing a 3 triple SP and 7 triple LP would have made the World or Olympic team in the last 12 years (at least). These skaters are getting ahead of themselves to be relevant internationally, but they still have to skate solid, point-earning programs at the national level before worrying about anything beyond.