2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Her planned content was supposed to be two 3A like before. It seems she changed her content to add in her 4Lz. I wonder if the JGP attempts by Shcherbakova and Trosova pushed into trying it today.

princessalica

Final Flight
That was shortly after Liza T landed her at worlds. It was on the harness and nothing has been said of it since.

She mentioned it in 2017 that she wanted to work on it. I’m not saying it will happen, but she might now that’s she’s skating for herself.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
The real question is who has a video of Alysa liu‘s skate? People are saying she landed a clean 4lz during the warmup and I’d like to see that as well. The quad revolution really has begun!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The real question is who has a video of Alysa liu‘s skate? People are saying she landed a clean 4lz during the warmup and I’d like to see that as well. The quad revolution really has begun!

The on-demand video will probably be up in a few days, though I don’t know if they will include the warm-ups.

frida80

Record Breaker

I'm hoping a fan post a video later. If not we have to wait until she has a streamed competition again.

natsulian

Final Flight
I've only begun to intensely follow figure skating this year and I am so happy for the US ladies and the prospects of the US figure skating's future. My eyes are set on Alysa and Ting as of this moment (and Bradie). Alysa seems to be a medal contender for Nationals and with a Quad and Triple Axel, she's poised to take over and lead the US ladies for, hopefully, many years to come.

As always, her mental and physical health is of the utmost importance and I would rather see a clean, beautiful performance than a performance void of emotion and filled with threatening jumps. For a moment it seemed as if US figure skating for the ladies was in a rut but a Alysa and the the upcoming junior and novice girls are NOT playing around.

Question: what's Alysa's possible high-end score for a CLEAN performance? With all her combos, level fours, and the Quad and two Triple Axels?

frida80

Record Breaker
I've only begun to intensely follow figure skating this year and I am so happy for the US ladies and the prospects of the US figure skating's future. My eyes are set on Alysa and Ting as of this moment (and Bradie). Alysa seems to be a medal contender for Nationals and with a Quad and Triple Axel, she's poised to take over and lead the US ladies for, hopefully, many years to come.

As always, her mental and physical health is of the utmost importance and I would rather see a clean, beautiful performance than a performance void of emotion and filled with threatening jumps. For a moment it seemed as if US figure skating for the ladies was in a rut but a Alysa and the the upcoming junior and novice girls are NOT playing around.

Question: what's Alysa's possible high-end score for a CLEAN performance? With all her combos, level fours, and the Quad and two Triple Axels?

I'll have to redo my calculations, but my guess is really really big. She was already sitting at 200+ without the quad. But doing 3 3A and a quad at nationals is a lot of pressure. No shame in trying though.

sheetz

Record Breaker
With a 3A in the short and 2 quads + 2 3As in the long Alysa would be competitive with anyone in the world.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It's good to see Alysa is training to be the best in the world. But, her jumps seem to be of average height relative to her height. The success of her jumps so far relies on her super fast rotation. So I am not sure without the necessary height, how she can do a quad. If you look at Anna and Sahsa, both jump very high for their quads, in addition to fast rotation.

frida80

Record Breaker
It's good to see Alysa is training to be the best in the world. But, her jumps seem to be of average height relative to her height. The success of her jumps so far relies on her super fast rotation. So I am not sure without the necessary height, how she can do a quad. If you look at Anna and Sahsa, both jump very high for their quads, in addition to fast rotation.

Two years ago, Alysa was attempting a super hard program at novice which resulted in nearly all of her jumps being underrotated. The next year she was jumping higher and won nationals. I think once she gets more confidence and experience with the jumps she'll start adding more height and speed.

But jumps aren't everything. I hope she's developing herself artist ally as well. Many girls failed to challenge because judges are looking more for the complete package. And heading to a top choreographer to "fix" the issue is not a solution. Look at poor Pooja for why that could go wrong.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

Sasha jumps pretty high but I would say Anna’s relies mostly on fast rotation.

leoleo

Medalist
Sasha jumps pretty high but I would say Anna’s relies mostly on fast rotation.

sasha's jumps have both height and fast rotation!

I am mind blown by how gutsy Alysa is. And trying a quad lutz in the second half after popping the first one? that is crazy! i cannot help worrying for all the girls attempting quads but worrying will do nothing so i'm just gonna watch and be stunned. i am curious to see a good footage of it to see how good her technique too. Next year's JGP is gonna be so exciting

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Her planned content was supposed to be two 3A like before. It seems she changed her content to add in her 4Lz. I wonder if the JGP attempts by Shcherbakova and Trosova pushed into trying it today.

Alysa was 15 points ahead after the SP at Regionals despite a popped element in her short program. Seems like a good place to try out a new element in the free. Gutsy.

As she didn't fully rotate it or land it, I don't think I'll set my expectations on seeing it in major competitions yet; but it's exciting to see how determined she is. I really have no concerns about Alysa as a performer. That is why I fell in love with her skating in the first place, long before she introduced a triple axel or I knew if she would get credit for rotating her jumps.

Pooja has done just fine, IMO, for her experience level and how she has been progressing. I still feel that she should have been given a 2nd JGP in order to gain that experience before being thrown into a senior Challenger. I'm happy that she received one, but she could have been given a late-season one, which is the norm for JGP athletes with top scores in their first event and which I assume is what will happen with Ting. Pooja could easily be one of our ladies at Junior Worlds this year, and I think more experience at the junior level would serve her well. Someone else could certainly earn the spots at JWs as well, of course.

I'm not for comparing Pooja to Alysa. Alysa's current set of goals and trajectory are quite unique.

frida80

Record Breaker
Alysa was 15 points ahead after the SP at Regionals despite a popped element in her short program. Seems like a good place to try out a new element in the free. Gutsy.

As she didn't fully rotate it or land it, I don't think I'll set my expectations on seeing it in major competitions yet; but it's exciting to see how determined she is. I really have no concerns about Alysa as a performer. That is why I fell in love with her skating in the first place, long before she introduced a triple axel or I knew if she would get credit for rotating her jumps.

Pooja has done just fine, IMO, for her experience level and how she has been progressing. I still feel that she should have been given a 2nd JGP in order to gain that experience before being thrown into a senior Challenger. I'm happy that she received one, but she could have been given a late-season one, which is the norm for JGP athletes with top scores in their first event and which I assume is what will happen with Ting. Pooja could easily be one of our ladies at Junior Worlds this year, and I think more experience at the junior level would serve her well. Someone else could certainly earn the spots at JWs as well, of course.

I'm not for comparing Pooja to Alysa. Alysa's current set of goals and trajectory are quite unique.

I think Pooja is developing just fine. I was saying how awful her choreography was for her SP and previous FS. I think the choreography for her new FS is much improved.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I also hope she does not just focus on jumps. Her performance so far is pretty good.

I also noticed that she slows down significantly right before her 3A (based on her Asian Open LP video), which does not seem to be a very good technique. But I think Liza T. and Mao also tend to slow down before their 3A takeoff. Maybe 3A is a jump that requires precision rather than speed??

Two years ago, Alysa was attempting a super hard program at novice which resulted in nearly all of her jumps being underrotated. The next year she was jumping higher and won nationals. I think once she gets more confidence and experience with the jumps she'll start adding more height and speed.

But jumps aren't everything. I hope she's developing herself artist ally as well. Many girls failed to challenge because judges are looking more for the complete package. And heading to a top choreographer to "fix" the issue is not a solution. Look at poor Pooja for why that could go wrong.

princessalica

Final Flight
Ting also is in consideration. She was the only American skater to make the top ten overall numbers for ladies in the jgp (I saw a set of comparison on the Russian ladies thread). She’s the current junior lady closest in contention. I mean Alysa is amazing, but she’s not even junior eligible yet.