2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

princessalica

Final Flight
I’m excited to see Nathan, Vincent, and jimmy ma compete. I’ve been concerned because Alex, who has shown lots of potential(I also think scored much lower at nationals because he was battling illness) has not scored well this year. I know he’s coming back from a serious injury, but I’m still concerned. We do have a pretty consistent group of men coming up through juniors.

century2009

On the Ice
the hype on this thread is kind of die down because poor performance from many US men in challengers. Only Jimmy Ma medaled, and its not the best performance. Even Nathan struggled in JO, but his SA practice is better tho. idk how US men will do except Nathan can win for sure. Vincent might sneak to podium but if he got < a lot then nope. Jimmy in top 5?

It is was like that for other years. The US didnt give their best performances in the beginning, which is probably a good thing.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Suppose most interest in US men goes to their fan threads, right? I'm sure some of it could be of interest in this thread. You can't follow them all.

I miss Adam, Max, Grant and Ross competing, but excited to watch Nathan, Vincent and Jimmy at Skate America. I guess Jimmy will be the most relaxed and perhaps the guy to enjoy. Nathan in Yale and Vincent with back problems might fight for their performances. We'll see :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Suppose most interest in US men goes to their fan threads, right? I'm sure some of it could be of interest in this thread. You can't follow them all.

I miss Adam, Max, Grant and Ross competing, but excited to watch Nathan, Vincent and Jimmy at Skate America. I guess Jimmy will be the most relaxed and perhaps the guy to enjoy. Nathan in Jail and Vincent with back problems might fight for their performances. We'll see :)

What!!!! Is this a Joke!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Update on Emmanuel Savary:

He won Southwestern Regionals today with 210.75 (65.52 SP + 145.23 FS).

(The only other entry was Krasnozhon, whose total score was 189.19.)​

Good luck to Jimmy, Vincent, Nathan at Skate America. :yay:

Who is Emanuel Savary? That's a big score for this early in the season. Surprised to see Alexei score that low.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Who is Emanuel Savary? That's a big score for this early in the season. Surprised to see Alexei score that low.

One of my favorite Emanuel clips

He got some buzz when he was younger but was hampered by injuries and missed several years of the JGP actually. But a few years back he showed up back on the scene and clearly wanting to fight and go farther. He recently moved to TomZ.

I can pick what style you would like best so

If you like Latinish (think Spanish guitar) click here

If you like martial arts inspired programs click here

If you want to see him do smooth jazz click here.

If you would like to see a more classic piano and operatic skate click here.

In short... he is an underappreciated gem that has gotten lost in the shuffle but I hope to see gain some love.

mrrice

Record Breaker

One of my favorite Emanuel clips

He got some buzz when he was younger but was hampered by injuries and missed several years of the JGP actually. But a few years back he showed up back on the scene and clearly wanting to fight and go farther. He recently moved to TomZ.

I can pick what style you would like best so

If you like Latinish (think Spanish guitar) click here

If you like martial arts inspired programs click here

If you want to see him do smooth jazz click here.

If you would like to see a more classic piano and operatic skate click here.

In short... he is an underappreciated gem that has gotten lost in the shuffle but I hope to see gain some love.

OMG.....He's so cute! I look forward to seeing him this year.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, I really don’t know what’s happened to this thread.

I’m just one person, but I really like men’s skating and I’d love for this to be a place where we can talk about how US guys are skating and doing competitively.

I'll shut up. Well, I already had shut up, but that's okay.

I feel that every part of figure skating contributes to every other aspect. The performance aspect is a big part of men's expression on ice; it's a performing sport. Costume and hair are very minor parts, but they can be part of expression and performance, so I don't see why they can't be legitimate parts of a discussion of "how US guys are skating."

My previous post tied Nathan's costume and hair to his expression and performance of "Nemesis," and how that impacted some, and may have impacted other audience members. I believe many figure skaters have said, and many others would say, that audience response in turn motivates them to perform better. And it gives them energy, which impacts performance of jumps, spins, etc. It's that divine circle (i.e. as opposed to "vicious circle") which makes up the whole.

ETA: Oops. I guess I should say now I'll shut up. :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly US men feel a bit boring this year. It feels strange not to be talking about Adam, Max, Grant, Ross being in the mix.

*sad sniff* times 3. I miss Adam most of all and his soulful poetry on ice, but I miss Grant and Ross too. Whether they were medal threats or not.

I was also thinking about Ross while reading posts about what's ok to talk about. If performance, connection, emotion count at all, then Ross's New York State of Mind was one of the great men's skates of the last few years. For those of us for whom skating skills, jumps, etc. just aren't the whole story, I mean, is it ok to post in this thread? A lot of what I'm interested in discussing needs a broader scope than Fan Forums. For one thing, I've always thought they're relevant to competitions and competitive threat.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Is Vincent 100% Healthy? He looks a bit slower than last year and not quite as "In Shape"

Vincent has had back problems but he says he fine now. According to the planned program sheets Vincent has the most ambitious jump layouts in the competition.

oly2018

Final Flight
Vincent may have the most ambitious layout, but from Jackie's practice reports, it seems like he is still having rotation issues. What happened to not focusing on quads?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone, for responding to my post - hope we can keep the conversation going.

@concorde, I think the prohibition on competition talk is only during the actual competition- like no discussing results or wuzrobbing. My understanding is that it’s always fine for us to talk about how skaters are doing, comment on practice videos, worry about their rough starts to the season, etc.

(This part of my post is general, not directed at Concorde): I also miss the guys who aren’t skating, and am disappointed that to this point in the season, US senior men haven’t been brilliant in competition. But to me that’s something to discuss. I think it’s a little weird to say US men are boring or not living up to their hype - after all, they’re not hyping themselves, and I’m sure all of them are out there working their butts off - but that’s just me. It also discounts the junior US men who did great on the JGP, and who may skate senior domestically, vie for medals at Nationals, and potentially make the World Team.

And I find it really odd - sad, really - that out of all of today’s posts, not one person mentioned Jason, who had a brilliant SP and an awful FS at ACI, and who will be competing at Skate Canada next week. So let me be the first. I’m excited to see whether his FS - and jumps - have improved. Sadly, there’s apparently no hope for the costume. :devil:

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
I think Vincent has healed from his back injury, but perhaps not at 100% fitness level yet?

He definitely has the most ambitious planned layouts at SA. Nathan is planning on ‘only’ one quad in the SP.

Good luck to Nathan, Vincent and Jimmy tonight!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason will have the spotlight all to himself next weekend cause he’ll be the only us senior man competing! :biggrin:

(there are some cutie pies ar Golden Bear too!)

Good luck to Nathan, Vincent and Jimmy!

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
@concorde, I think the prohibition on competition talk is only during the actual competition- like no discussing results or wuzrobbing. My understanding is that it’s always fine for us to talk about how skaters are doing, comment on practice videos, worry about their rough starts to the season, etc.

@Tavi... Just to clarify. The original GS policy was on anything related to a on-going competition. Early on I got snagged in the US Ladies thread for posting a very generic comment after the short, something to the tune of "US lady was in XX place and I hoped she would do better in the long." The organizers deleted it and I was given an infraction, which was later switched to an warning, which was later reversed.

My point - Tread carefully if you are going to post anything during on on-going competition that is specifically related to the competition. From what I understand, the intent is for all real-time competition specifics to be in that in the specific competition thread.

I think things have been relaxed but I am not 100% sure.