2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Miller

Final Flight
Each GP gets one host pick or more?

Yes, up to 3, though for the purposes of my calculations a 'Host Pick' is a spot a skater wouldn't otherwise get i.e. 1 spot rather than 0, or 2 rather than 1, hence why it varies above between 1 and 3 depending on the country.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So when will Grand Prix assignments be announced? Is it May or in June?

FWIW: "Competing athletes will be announced July 2018," according to official Skate America website.

ETA: btw, the public on-sale for Skate America all-event tix will begin on Thursday, March 29.​

I believe Firus is retiring as well

Yes -- meaning Liam Firus (not brother Shane). :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

mudav

Rinkside
I've been trying to guess possible ways of assignments and I need your opinion)) What do you think, who would Japan pick this year for NHK: Yuzuru or Shoma? For several previous years Yuzuru was picked but this year I think Shoma can be picked as he has done so much in Worlds... What do you think?

curious

Final Flight
NHK and Rostelcom don't want Kaitlyn for the same reason she doesn't want them: they have top skaters that don't want to meet her / she doesn't want to meet.

The seeding is supposed to prevent top skaters from meeting at GP events, but this year it's weird because Medvedeva and Zagitova would be top seeds based on the Olympics, but aren't because the seeds are based on Worlds. They're still top skaters, despite their seeding, and it isn't in anyone's interest to have top skaters meeting at GP events. Unfortunately one of the top seed is going to have to meet one or more of them at Rostelcom. And if they're at a lot of different events, at other events as well.
You think med and zag are afraid of osmond :laugh:lol

nekun

On the Ice
I've been trying to guess possible ways of assignments and I need your opinion)) What do you think, who would Japan pick this year for NHK: Yuzuru or Shoma? For several previous years Yuzuru was picked but this year I think Shoma can be picked as he has done so much in Worlds... What do you think?
Yuzu I think, coz he is the Olympic Champion and He's not compete at Japan since NHK 2016.
Seniority also coming to play, I remember in the 2013/2014 season Yuzu didn't get NHK eventho he was the National Champion and placed better at both Worlds and 4CC than Daisuke Takahashi,

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hanyu, as he’s still the king, at the end of the day.

Though of course, he’ll win wherever he goes, so there’s no great need for strategizing. It’s purely a prestige thing, and they’ll want him putting on a great show before the home crowd.

aless

Rinkside
Hanyu going to NHK is kind of at odds with the rumors that he's going to TdF though, as they are back to back and it's a long distance. Then again those rumors are only that so far, and I think they'd probably really want him at NHK so who knows.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Worlds is also in Japan next season, so they will see him either way. (+Nationals, I bet he's burning to be back!) And perhaps Yuzuru wants to grab one of those medals he doesn't have yet, and he's won NHK plenty of times.

mudav

Rinkside
Thank you very much for your replies!!!

I have prepared a table of possible assighments considering that #1-3 can't take part in the same competition and Nathan Chen and Kolyada will have one of the competitions in home countries and Yuzu will be picked for NHK, what do you think?
https://ibb.co/jsSP9n

aname

On the Ice
Hanyu, as he’s still the king, at the end of the day.

Though of course, he’ll win wherever he goes, so there’s no great need for strategizing.
Except Skate Canada, apparently. He's a 3-time silver medalist in that event. ;)

But hey, maybe next season he'll finally get the SC & 4CC golds that have eluded him! :laugh:

Ziotic

Medalist
Thank you very much for your replies!!!

I have prepared a table of possible assighments considering that #1-3 can't take part in the same competition and Nathan Chen and Kolyada will have one of the competitions in home countries and Yuzu will be picked for NHK, what do you think?
https://ibb.co/jsSP9n

There is no reason that yuzuru and Shoma can’t both be at NHK.

Countries have done it before, Canada last year with D/R and I/M

Ziotic

Medalist
You think med and zag are afraid of osmond :laugh:lol

I think the atrocious over scoring of Russians is really why Kaetlyn wouldn’t want to go. They would likely score their Rus #3 ahead of a clean Osmond.

It really goes to show how smart S/M were for not going to Euro in Russia. I still feel bad for what they did to J/C.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I think the atrocious over scoring of Russians is really why Kaetlyn wouldn’t want to go. They would likely score their Rus #3 ahead of a clean Osmond.

As if Kaetlyn hasn't been ridiculously overscored at Skate Canada this season lol

Ziotic

Medalist
As if Kaetlyn hasn't been ridiculously overscored at Skate Canada this season lol
She may have been, but she was rightfully the winner based on those performances. Also the year before when Med was there they didn’t underscore her.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
She may have been, but she was rightfully the winner based on those performances. Also the year before when Med was there they didn’t underscore her.

So you don't think Medvedeva rightfully won Rostelecom this year, with Carolina and Wakaba as 2-3? Bc based on the performances, it was a fair podium too. Med might have been slightly overscored in her FS but she was still the rightful winner by a mile.

Ziotic

Medalist
So you don't think Medvedeva rightfully won Rostelecom this year, with Carolina and Wakaba as 2-3? Bc based on the performances, it was a fair podium too. Med might have been slightly overscored in her FS but she was still the rightful winner by a mile.

I completely agree with Med winning. Wakaba should have been a been second.

The bigger issue was with dance/pairs and men this year.
Kolyada wiped the ice and got seasons best PCS and they propped up S/B and their third pairs team.

saphire

On the Ice
I don't know if Yuzuru or Shoma would choose NHK. They don't seem to like compete in Japan, a lot of pressure.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I don't know if Yuzuru or Shoma would choose NHK. They don't seem to like compete in Japan, a lot of pressure.

Actually Yuzuru has compete in NHK 5 times, 6 if you count last year. So I don´t think it is a problem, for him...

But maybe JSF would like to give Shoma some home advantage...