2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
whatever the French one is called this year ~ you're so funny hhahhaha :laugh2: I think it's IDF

BTW, SC and GPF were already on sale. SA just started pre-sale and will be open to public tomorrow.

Wait, what? Is not Eric Bombard or Trophée de France? And why do they continue changing the name?

irriya

On the Ice
Wait, what? Is not Eric Bombard or Trophée de France? And why do they continue changing the name?

I think the name changed because the sponsorship changed. Same as Rostelecom Cup used to be called COR. IDF are financially difficult now unfortunately :palmf: It used to in Paris mostly. and now they can't afford that anymore.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I think the name changed because the sponsorship changed. Same as Rostelecom Cup used to be called COR. IDF are financially difficult now unfortunately :palmf: It used to in Paris mostly. and now they can't afford that anymore.

Boy, the heck is happening in France skate association... Maybe is time to move on GP to another country... England or Germany could be nice... (And Didier´s head would explode is they move it to Germany)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Boy, the heck is happening in France skate association... Maybe is time to move on GP to another country... England or Germany could be nice... (And Didier´s head would explode is they move it to Germany)

Or Italy and Germany in alternate years? Keep it in Europe but share both the work/expense and the glory. Assuming they want it, of course.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Dance . . . so here is a projected top 24 after the scrub:

ICE DANCE

1 VIRTUE / MOIR (RETIRED)
2 PAPADAKIS / CIZERON
3 HUBBELL / DONOHUE
4 BOBROVA / SOLOVIEV (RETIRED)
5 SHIBUTANI / SHIBUTANI
6 CAPPELLINI / LANOTTE Retired?
7 CHOCK / BATES
8 WEAVER / POJE
9 GUIGNARD / FABBRI
10 HAWAYEK / BAKER
11 STEPANOVA / BUKIN
12 GILLES / POIRIER
13 MURAMOTO / REED
14 ZAGORSKI / GUERREIRO
15 FOURNIER-BEAUDRY / SORENSEN ineligible for GP - changed country
16 KALISZEK / SPODYRIEV
17 PARSONS / PARSONS
18 McNAMARA / CARPENTER
19 LAURIAULT / LEGAC
20 NAZAROVA / NIKITIN
21 WANG / LIU
22 CARREIRA / PONOMARENKO
23 SKOPTCOVA / ALESHIN
24 HURTADO / KHALIAVIN
25 POGREBINSKY / BENOIT (split)
26 SMART / DIAZ
27 ABACHKINA / THAURON
28 SINITSINA / KATSALAPOV
29 MIN / GAMELIN

Thank you for doing this. Abachkina & Thauron have reportedly split. Also, just a reminder for posters who don't know, athletes who retire or split remain on the World Standings list. You still have to be top 24 on this list to be guaranteed a spot via World Standings.

Plumededragon

Medalist
It’s a mess as usual... and just for Diduer’s head to explode, I’d LOVE to see the GP going to Germany, lol! :laugh: Didn’t Germany used to host a GP in early 2000’s?

I found the document and really the dates have been switched!
Could it possibly be done so Yuzuru could go to both NHK and French cup (as Dedier has told)...
Oh, I thought if Yuzu goes to NHK, I doubt he’d go to IdF as they’re back to back. Or if it did happen, JSF could ask to have P/C at NHK... I have my doubts about FFSG not wanting them at IdF. Though, they’d still have J/C for headlines.

But if it has changed, then yes Yuzu going to IdF and NHK is more doable.
Well, even without the switch, Yuzu could still go to NHK, depending on what JSF will do regarding Shoma. They once managed to negotiate Daisuke and Yuzu at NHK 2012, even though they were 2-3 at Worlds because the event was in Sendai. But Yuzu being injured, there won’t be need for negotiation to have him with Shoma at NHK. But not sure if JSF will do it or if they’ll have “only” one of the two, which is more probable.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It’s a mess as usual... and just for Diduer’s head to explode, I’d LOVE to see the GP going to Germany, lol! :laugh: Didn’t Germany used to host a GP in early 2000’s?

Oh, I thought if Yuzu goes to NHK, I doubt he’d go to IdF as they’re back to back. Or if it did happen, JSF could ask to have P/C at NHK... I have my doubts about FFSG not wanting them at IdF. Though, they’d still have J/C for headlines.

But if it has changed, then yes Yuzu going to IdF and NHK is more doable.
Well, even without the switch, Yuzu could still go to NHK, depending on what JSF will do regarding Shoma. They once managed to negotiate Daisuke and Yuzu at NHK 2012, even though they were 2-3 at Worlds because the event was in Sendai. But Yuzu being injured, there won’t be need for negotiation to have him with Shoma at NHK. But not sure if JSF will do it or if they’ll have “only” one of the two, which is more probable.
Japan almost ever has at least 2 entries, until 3 in 2014.

The year that Yuzuru and Daisuke were together at NHK was 2012, and in the previous championship they have been 1st and 3rd in JC

Edit.

Yuzuru´s was also in NHK with Daisuke in 2010. His first year as a senior

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Or Italy and Germany in alternate years? Keep it in Europe but share both the work/expense and the glory. Assuming they want it, of course.

I remember pitching an article on measuring European integration via Eurovision songs... were this to happen, it would likely lead to an equally amusing data set, however. [emoji23]

Plumededragon

Medalist
Japan almost ever has at least 2 entries, until 3 in 2014.

The year that Yuzuru and Daisuke were together at NHK was 2012, and in the previous championship they have been 1st and 3rd in JC

Edit.

Yuzuru´s was also in NHK with Daisuke in 2010. His first year as a senior
I know all that, but even if he were the JWC at this time, Yuzu was still a new skater in senior back in 2010. Whereas Yuzu and Shoma are Japan Ace Men, so JSF may not want them both at the local GP. Of course, this is only supposition at this time. JSF may very well want them together for the coming season.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Oh, I thought if Yuzu goes to NHK, I doubt he’d go to IdF as they’re back to back.

They are not, it's NHK --> CoR --> IdF so there's a bit of room there. If he requires more time, then doing those two would be all right, even with the iffy travelling. In that case though, I could see both Shoma and Zu being at NHK.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
How do the seeded skaters choose their events?

Using men as an example, does Chen choose an event first, then Uno chooses an event, then Kolyada chooses an event, then repeat the process for fourth, fifth and sixth events? Or does Chen choose two, Uno chooses two, and Kolyada gets what is left over?

Do the skaters seeded fourth, fifth and sixth go through the same process as the skaters seeded first, second and third?

Does this happen before any other considerations, i.e. invitations issued to skaters seventh to twelfth (tenth for pairs and dance), host pick assignments?

Just trying to figure out in what order these things happen.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How do the seeded skaters choose their events?

First, the host countries choose their three athletes/teams. If they have a top-three seeded skater, they can choose that skater. If they have two or three top-three seeded skaters, the host may choose 1 of them. The host country may also set aside spots without naming the athletes who will fill them.

Next, rumor has it, the #1 skater's two requests among the remaining countries are honored. Followed by skater #2's requests. And skater #3 goes to the two open spots. (It could easily be the skater's federation that decides where their athlete will go rather than the skater. Who knows?)

Using men as an example, does Chen choose an event first, then Uno chooses an event, then Kolyada chooses an event, then repeat the process for fourth, fifth and sixth events? Or does Chen choose two, Uno chooses two, and Kolyada gets what is left over?

Chen chooses two, Uno chooses two, Kolyada gets what's left over. (But probably Chen gets picked for SA as one of SA's three host athletes first. And Japan has to decide what to do between Hanyu & Uno for which will go to NHK, provided both skate next season).

Do the skaters seeded fourth, fifth and sixth go through the same process as the skaters seeded first, second and third?

Kinda sorta. Host countries have an order of selection. The first country selects an athlete from 4th/5th/6th, then the next country, then the next country, until the 4-6th place teams have been selected. (Some may have been selected by their own country to skate there prior to this happening). Skaters can let their federation know where they would like to skate. And federations can discuss it or try to make arrangements in advance. But ultimately, you go to whichever host countries select you first during the draw.

Does this happen before any other considerations, i.e. invitations issued to skaters seventh to twelfth (tenth for pairs and dance), host pick assignments?
Just trying to figure out in what order these things happen.

All the 4-6th placed teams must be assigned their events prior to selections for the 7-10th place skaters. Then all of those skaters must be assigned their events prior to any further invitations.

At that point, still going in the order of host-country selection, all non-seeded skaters on the top 24 SB and top 24 World Standing List must be selected for their one guaranteed spot.

After that, host countries may fill any remaining openings by inviting whoever they want. They are supposed to follow some criteria--invite athletes who have the minimum scores and prioritize high ranked athletes on the SB list. But, really, they have a lot of leeway there. They can select athletes who are well known and sell tickets. They can select athletes who train close to home and are cheaper to host. They can invite athletes they think are more likely to lose to their own host athletes. They can make arrangements in advance to trade invitations with other host countries that need an event for one of their own athletes/teams.

Once all the spots are full, all the spots are full.

Last season, at that point, there was a 10 athlete/team replacement list based on the next 10 athletes without 2 spots and who had the highest SB scores from the previous season. If a spot opens up due to an athlete/team withdrawing, the host country is supposed to invite another athlete from the replacement list.

But no one enforces it, and sometimes athletes ranked below the replacement list receive invites. Especially if the opening occurs late and it is easier to invite an athlete who lives close.

aless

Rinkside
if Hanyu ends up really going to IdF... how the -- does one get to Grenoble :rolleye: they really needed to put it right in the mountains, huh?

Aglae

On the Ice
Well, it's 3H from Paris by train (1H30 from Lyon)... there's also a small airport... it's not the most complicated city to get to in France (granted it's not as practical as Paris, Lyon or Marseille...)

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
First, the host countries choose their three athletes/teams. If they have a top-three seeded skater, they can choose that skater. If they have two or three top-three seeded skaters, the host may choose 1 of them. The host country may also set aside spots without naming the athletes who will fill them.

Next, rumor has it, the #1 skater's two requests among the remaining countries are honored. Followed by skater #2's requests. And skater #3 goes to the two open spots. (It could easily be the skater's federation that decides where their athlete will go rather than the skater. Who knows?)

Chen chooses two, Uno chooses two, Kolyada gets what's left over. (But probably Chen gets picked for SA as one of SA's three host athletes first. And Japan has to decide what to do between Hanyu & Uno for which will go to NHK, provided both skate next season).

Kinda sorta. Host countries have an order of selection. The first country selects an athlete from 4th/5th/6th, then the next country, then the next country, until the 4-6th place teams have been selected. (Some may have been selected by their own country to skate there prior to this happening). Skaters can let their federation know where they would like to skate. And federations can discuss it or try to make arrangements in advance. But ultimately, you go to whichever host countries select you first during the draw.

All the 4-6th placed teams must be assigned their events prior to selections for the 7-10th place skaters. Then all of those skaters must be assigned their events prior to any further invitations.

At that point, still going in the order of host-country selection, all non-seeded skaters on the top 24 SB and top 24 World Standing List must be selected for their one guaranteed spot.

After that, host countries may fill any remaining openings by inviting whoever they want. They are supposed to follow some criteria--invite athletes who have the minimum scores and prioritize high ranked athletes on the SB list. But, really, they have a lot of leeway there. They can select athletes who are well known and sell tickets. They can select athletes who train close to home and are cheaper to host. They can invite athletes they think are more likely to lose to their own host athletes. They can make arrangements in advance to trade invitations with other host countries that need an event for one of their own athletes/teams.

Once all the spots are full, all the spots are full.

Last season, at that point, there was a 10 athlete/team replacement list based on the next 10 athletes without 2 spots and who had the highest SB scores from the previous season. If a spot opens up due to an athlete/team withdrawing, the host country is supposed to invite another athlete from the replacement list.

But no one enforces it, and sometimes athletes ranked below the replacement list receive invites. Especially if the opening occurs late and it is easier to invite an athlete who lives close.

Great explanation! Just one question - by "order of selection", do you mean they choose in schedule (event) order?