2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

andromache

Record Breaker
As if Kaetlyn hasn't been ridiculously overscored at Skate Canada this season lol

Top ladies want to avoid SkCan, CoR, and SkAm unless they are from those countries (probably not so much SkAm anymore, since all the US ladies are very beatable by the top Canadian, Russian, and Japanese ladies).

Top pairs from other countries want to avoid SkCan, CoR, and CoC - though without D/R, SkCan will be much more open.

No top ice dancers not from Russia want to go to CoR.

NHK is really safe for pairs and ice dancers, less safe for men and ladies. The overscoring of Japanese men and ladies isn't so bad, but the fields will always be super stacked (but Japanese crowds are great so people still like to go). CoC is usually weaker overall because skaters don't like going there. IIRC, Jenny Kirk said you can tell when a US lady is out of favor with the federation, because they'll be sent to CoR or CoC.

TdF seems like one of the fairest fields overall, and the (over)scoring of European skaters isn't as high as it is at CoR. Sure, someone who actually has a chance of beating P/C won't want to go there, but that doesn't seem really relevant next season. Now that J/C have really broken through, we will probably see their closest competition try to avoid this though?

Without Patrick, SkCan will be a very friendly competition for all the men. None of the top men will want to go to SkAm though, where the scoring for Nathan will be huge.

All of this is to say that top contenders all have "good" GPs and "bad" GPs - for most of them, it all shakes out pretty evenly at the end, especially among the top seeds. As usual, skaters from small feds have a harder time, but there's still always "friendly" competitions for them. For many years, CoR was a very friendly GP for Carolina Kostner, for example, because the Russian ladies were weak at the time. Similarly, CoR was very good to Javi for years.

Barb

Record Breaker
Top pairs from other countries want to avoid SkCan, CoR, and CoC - though without D/R, SkCan will be much more open.

No top ice dancers not from Russia want to go to CoR.

Without B/S, I think Rostelecom is not much problem for top ice dancers.

saphire

On the Ice
Actually Yuzuru has compete in NHK 5 times, 6 if you count last year. So I don´t think it is a problem, for him...

But maybe JSF would like to give Shoma some home advantage...

I wasn't implying that it would be a problem. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think it would be first choice.

andromache

Record Breaker

That's fair. Depends on the team - I think Canadian teams and US teams outside of the top 2 might be vulnerable to S/B, however. Depends on how much the rest of the ISU goes along with the huge push that S/B are going to get, I guess.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

S/B were very highly marked at last year's CoR, and I think there will be a strong push in their favour next season with B/S gone.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For Papadakis and Cizeron, certainly, but I don’t think any of the others (save maybe H/D and the Shibs) are outside the range where they’d be vulnerable to a favourably-judges S/B.

Barb

Record Breaker
For Papadakis and Cizeron, certainly, but I don’t think any of the others (save maybe H/D and the Shibs) are outside the range where they’d be vulnerable to a favourably-judges S/B.

Yes, but I don´t think will be so scandalous. Just the usual national inflated score as every other country. Depends on how prepared they are next season, if they continue with their technical deficiencies but at least get good programs, maybe the RusFed think it's worth making a greater effort.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Shibs beat B/S handily last year, but they won't be seeded this year, and I doubt the Russian fed will invite them.

Papadakis / Cizeron won't want to do two GPs back-to-back, so they won't choose CoR. Hubbell / Donohue probably won't want CoR either, so Weaver / Poje could get their wish.

If Cappellini / LaNotte have retired, Stepanova / Bukin become the #6 seed---that means no Chock / Bates or Gilles / Poirier.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibs beat B/S handily last year, but they won't be seeded this year, and I doubt the Russian fed will invite them.

Papadakis / Cizeron won't want to do two GPs back-to-back, so they won't choose CoR. Hubbell / Donohue probably won't want CoR either, so Weaver / Poje could get their wish.

If Cappellini / LaNotte have retired, Stepanova / Bukin become the #6 seed---that means no Chock / Bates or Gilles / Poirier.

Why? , H/D will chose SA, so Shibs won´t want SA, P/C NHK and France, so those discard, Skate Canada, I think W/P who will be more pushed by Canada Fed than S/B by Rus Fed. So I guess Maia and Alex would prefer Russia to Canada, I guess they would get China and Russia

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As invited skaters, the Shibs have no say as to where they will go---except maybe SA.

As I said, Russia won't want to invite the Shibs because they are likely to beat S/B.
USFS probably won't pick the Shibs for SA because there's no point having H/D and the Shibs competing against one another.
SC probably wouldn't pick the Shibs because they want W/P to win their gold and ensure a spot at the GPF.

The French Fed has no need to fear any other ice dance team, so the Shibs will probably end up at CoC and TDF or CoC and NHK back-to-back but at least in the same geographic area.

Barb

Record Breaker
As invited skaters, the Shibs have no say as to where they will go---except maybe SA.

As I said, Russia won't want to invite the Shibs because they are likely to beat S/B.
USFS probably won't pick the Shibs for SA because there's no point having H/D and the Shibs competing against one another.
SC probably wouldn't pick the Shibs because they want W/P to win their gold and ensure a spot at the GPF.

The French Fed has no need to fear any other ice dance team, so the Shibs will probably end up at CoC and TDF or CoC and NHK back-to-back but at least in the same geographic area.

If USFS see that Maia and Alex only options are against P/C, so it is the same to having them with H/D at SA.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If USFS see that Maia and Alex only options are against P/C, so it is the same to having them with H/D at SA.

The Shibs have nothing to lose by going up against P&C. Only something to gain. My guess is that if the Shibs compete next season, they would go up against P&C at NHK. Japan likes to invite the Shibs and the World Champions. This is the first time in three years when there would be no conflict there as the Shibs aren't seeded.

If USFSA pits its top two dance teams against each other right off the bat at SA, then someone loses the first event of the season & heads into the rest of it ranked #2 in U.S. dance. It's a bad idea, IMO.

I'd be very surprised if France invites the Shibs. France has never invited the Shibs. Not with 8 seasons on the GP. Maybe because Maia & Alex started off their international career by defeating Pechalat & Bourzat at Worlds and have followed it up by splitting results with Papadakis & Cizeron in 2014-2015 and then being seeded & finishing internationally back-to-back with P&C the past three seasons. The last time the Shibs competed in France, they defeated P&C in the SD at the GPF.

But--hey--what the heck. The Shibs have won four different GP titles. They've never had a crack at the French one. Internationaux de France would be a challenge. Could be fun.

Though I don't think it's likely.

Of course, if the Shibs don't go to SA (which is still possible despite the fact that I don't like the idea), there's a pretty good chance they would have their first GP event against Hubbell & Donohue anyway at Cup of China. (Shrug). Thus is U.S. ice dance. Also, there's something to be said for competing early on the GP, having time to respond to feedback, and then competing late. So I can see an argument for having Maia & Alex at SA too.

Whatever happens with GP Assignments, it will be more exciting if the Shibs choose to skate.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibs have nothing to lose by going up against P&C. Only something to gain. My guess is that if the Shibs compete next season, they would go up against P&C at NHK. Japan likes to invite the Shibs and the World Champions. This is the first time in three years when there would be no conflict there as the Shibs aren't seeded.

I was only thinking about chuckm saying that those competitions are back to back, I mean, travel to another continent with competitions back to back, just to get max a secure 2nd place against P/C at one of the competitions :eek:hwell:, in that case if possible, stay at USA and avoid all the travel and jetlag, and the Shibs don´t hurt to sell tickets at SA, more americans skaters, more audience. But I see you are thinking more about Shibs at SA and NHK anyway. By the way, we have already the dates of each GP?

Ziotic

Medalist
I was only thinking about chuckm saying that those competitions are back to back, I mean, travel to another continent with competitions back to back, just to get max a secure 2nd place against P/C at one of the competitions :eek:hwell:, in that case if possible, stay at USA and avoid all the travel and jetlag, and the Shibs don´t hurt to sell tickets at SA, more americans skaters, more audience. But I see you are thinking more about Shibs at SA and NHK anyway. By the way, we have already the dates of each GP?

They are listed on Wikipedia.

Andrea82

Medalist
IBut I see you are thinking more about Shibs at SA and NHK anyway. By the way, we have already the dates of each GP?

Oct 19 - Oct 21, 2018 Skate America
Oct 26 - Oct 28, 2018 Skate Canada
Nov 02 - Nov 04, 2018 Cup of China
Nov 09 - Nov 11, 2018 NHK
Nov 16 - Nov 18, 2018 Rostelecom Cup
Nov 23 - Nov 25, 2018 whatever the French one is called this year
Dec 06 - Dec 09, 2018 GPF Final

https://www.isu.org/decisions-of-the-isu-council/15290-isu-communication-2124/file

irriya

On the Ice
Oct 19 - Oct 21, 2018 Skate America
Oct 26 - Oct 28, 2018 Skate Canada
Nov 02 - Nov 04, 2018 Cup of China
Nov 09 - Nov 11, 2018 NHK
Nov 16 - Nov 18, 2018 Rostelecom Cup
Nov 23 - Nov 25, 2018 whatever the French one is called this year
Dec 06 - Dec 09, 2018 GPF Final

https://www.isu.org/decisions-of-the-isu-council/15290-isu-communication-2124/file

whatever the French one is called this year ~ you're so funny hhahhaha :laugh2: I think it's IDF

BTW, SC and GPF were already on sale. SA just started pre-sale and will be open to public tomorrow.

Andrea82

Medalist

mudav

Rinkside
I found the document and really the dates have been switched!
Could it possibly be done so Yuzuru could go to both NHK and French cup (as Dedier has told)...