2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
In general I think I don't have yet a strong opinion about the music choices ... there is diversity that is good ...

I'm appreciating that there have been about five announcements over the past week or two of music I don't know:).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Looks like Alina is skating her FP to Carmen 🤪😏🤣
(Daniils Instaatories)
I would cry if it’s really true... phantom AND Carmen is just too much!!

Wow is Eteri really trying to sabotage her? or Flaunt it in our face!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Wow is Eteri really trying to sabotage her?

I doubt the judges care, but for me personally it's just :hopelessness: So there's been Swan Lake, Don Quijote, now Phantom and Carmen... what's next? Les Mis and Scheherezade? She should be an established skater now, she doesn't need warhorses.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Fun fact: her junior short was Samson and Delilah, but they called it Scheherezade :biggrin:

zounger

Medalist
I doubt the judges care, but for me personally it's just :hopelessness:

Why should the judges care about the music choice? They should care about the execution of the program. Anyway, it may have a candyman T/M effect on her but that's a different story and it's not to the judges to reject it in advance.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I’ve recently rewatched Mamma Mia and it left me craving an ABBA medley program ahahah is there anyone who managed it without being super tacky?

shine

Record Breaker
I doubt the judges care, but for me personally it's just :hopelessness: So there's been Swan Lake, Don Quijote, now Phantom and Carmen... what's next? Les Mis and Scheherezade? She should be an established skater now, she doesn't need warhorses.
Established perhaps in terms of placement, not in terms of artistic development (she's after all still only 16). Warhorses are easier to skate to and easier for the audience to "get" especially when you are such a WIP.

pearly

Record Breaker

I was thinking Bolero and Moulin Rouge for 2019/20.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
For those that might have wondered, yes a skater has used music that has the word "b***h" in the title:

Adrian Schultheiss (SWE) had this group of songs for his FS in 2009-2010:
Teardrop by Massive Attack; Insane in the Brain by Cypress Hill; Smack my b***h up by Prodigy
Had to edit the word even more, even in a quote...I remember this programme very well. He even skated in a kind of straightjacket, and the programme was quite successful at the time. Never knew the songs, except for the second one.

ayame

Rinkside
Established perhaps in terms of placement, not in terms of artistic development (she's after all still only 16). Warhorses are easier to skate to and easier for the audience to "get" especially when you are such a WIP.

My first thought as well, nothing against Alina but I can't see her pull off 'niche' music to the same standard yet (though I did hope to be proven wrong this season :slink:).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Clearly, Alina is saving the out of the box music choice for her yet to be announced gala program...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Clearly, Alina is saving the out of the box music choice for her yet to be announced gala program...
Well, last season she had out of the box music for her ex and people criticized it very heavily. I think she performed it quite well if I'm being honest, but people had such great difficulty looking past her costume that I guess they didn't notice.

To be honest though, I don't get why people want out of the box music. Carmen over anything pop or rock or jazz or blues or whatever any day for me.

shine

Record Breaker
Carmen over anything pop or rock or jazz or blues or whatever any day for me.
Wow, it's great that you love Carmen so much. I really like it too. But it's also not that difficult to understand why people would like more variety in musical choices............... This is a creative/artistic sport after all.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
No. No more Carmen.

And I love Carmen. I love athletes who are capable of skating to Carmen. But even I have had enough Carmen to last a lifetime. My favorite powerful, dramatic, sexy, fantastic, story-telling ladies can bring a million other fabulous programs to life. Enough Carmen.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I tend to be more indulgent regarding recurrent music choices when it’s a more contemporary product and feels legitimately like something the skater just feels enthused about. Contemporary movie musicals, for instance (Moulin Rouge, La La Land, The Greatest Showman), it’s easy to just credit that they know the movie and really wanted to do it.