2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I just finished watching the top men's performances - some good, some not so good!

-Roman: I love how high and strong his jumps are. They have really improved in their power as he has grown into his adult body. It's nice to see a tall, powerful skater maintain (and improve, really, in this case) his jumps. I loved the interesting combination of the two pieces of music, and thought that he performed the program well with his body, but I would like to see more passion and 'face'. He has lovely spins and great skating skills.

-Jason: It was really hard to get a feel for this program since the music was muted for all but the last song. He seemed really nervous, and this was a rough outing for him. I thought that the first part of the program seemed pretty empty, with long set-ups for the jumps. I really liked his footwork though, and his spins are always beautiful. I'm not sure what to make of his costume.

-Kevin R.: I am definitely a 'no' on the new hairstyle - It's to the point of being distracting. I really liked his costume though, and I always enjoy his interesting music choices. He seems well-connected to the program. Hopefully he will be able to fix his underrotations and work on his speed. At some points, I wanted to reach through the screen and give him a push!

-Junhwan: Like many of you have mentioned, this program was a big 'what the heck' [apparently the other acronym is not permitted :p] moment for me - voiceovers, techno music, Desree, etc. It was the weirdest, most off-putting hodge-podge of music, and certainly gives Alina a run for her money for weird, stuck-together programs! :p He's a great skater though. I really like his -3Lo combination. His top was also quite nice.

-Yuzuru: I was not enthralled with his SP, but I found this program to be much better, even with all the errors. He looked much more committed to performing in the FS than he did in the SP, and I was engaged to see where the program would go. He has some interesting movements that I think will be quite effective once the program is cleaned up.

cell

On the Ice
Me. I really don't like this type of artists, like Marton, Vanessa Mae, Bocelli. And I really hated when Plushy skated with him on ice. And yes, a tribute to Plush"s "Sexbomb"? why not :D It would be more authentic ;)

It's kind of like "bad mass-produced pseudo classical music", right? Except it's not good at all.

cell

On the Ice
Kevin Aymoz's program drama reminded me a little of Misha Ge.. definitely some innovative stuff in there

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
It's kind of like "bad mass-produced pseudo classical music", right? Except it's not good at all.

I’d also count myself as “not a fan,” with the occasional exception. I’m okay with like one Vanessa Mae track because it reminds me of my misbegotten youth. 🤣 And I can handle the Plushenko tribute — but I’m still waiting for Yuzu to take me up on my dream of a Satie programme.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I can't believe I missed Junhwan getting a silver (and by god, a better score in the FS than Yuzuru), just finished catching up. Thoughts:

- Roman Sadovsky deserved that bronze, beautiful skate (minus that fall in the 3A) with beautifully edited music, that's how you do that people. Not a fan of his costume though, it doesn't go with the beatiful music.

- First reaction on seeing Yuzuru's costume: :eeking: I thought we had moved on from that... look... since Evangelion... You may be Hanyu Yuzuru and have gorgeous body lines, but that is just... :palmf: Overall impression: was a letdown, to be honest. I absolutely love Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky, and as everyone knows it's a program known for an amazing step sequence with jaw-dropping footwork and beautiful choreography throughout. I didn't see much of any of those. Sure, there were nice moments (like the hydroblade right on cue with the music), but overall I didn't get the feeling that he was performing. It just seemed like skating to music, not expressing emotions and sentiments. Also, after that hard fall, he just seemed drained of energy. His jumps didn't have the power and ease he's known for, and his spins were not up to standards. I was not expecting to be like :eek:hwell: after watching Yuzuru, I hope he refines the program to have that energy and finesse he and the music deserves.

- Another disappointment: Jason Brown. Pops and step-outs aside, where is that connection to the music and heartfelt performance that makes him special? He was just doing his job, period. This was the first time since I've started following figure skating that I wasn't engrossed in his performance. Bland choreo and subpar music cuts don't help either. I want 4CC Jason Brown back, with or without the ponytail.

- Oh, Junhwan, you know I love you senseless and I was ecstatic about your medal, but I just can't get behind this program. You were great technically (just that step-out on the 4S and the underrotated 3S, and they weren't that much of an eyesore) and as always your musicality shined, but you deserve better than this. For the music, I have been freaked out ever since listening to it at practice, and I still kind of want to throttle the person who thought that TECHNO in ROMEO AND JULIET WAS A GOOD IDEA, not to mention Leonardo SCREAMING "JULIET!!!!!!!!!!!" BELONGED IN THE PROGRAM. Also, Shae-Lynne Bourne have made many great programs, but this isn't one of her best work. And love, your musicality is smooth, elegant, and subtle, while this program is big, dramatic, and demanding of a larger-than-life personality. You are a gust of wind that makes the river ripple and the trees sway, not a tempest that roars like a beast at one moment and quiets down to a soft drizzle the next on a whim that this choreography requires. I know you'll be working on it throughout this season to make it better and better (and I love you for it), but I don't think I'll ever be able to love this program. (Off topic, but this is the same situation with darling squirtle Eunsoo, both with a lovely SP and a FS that doesn't let them show their best sides...) But to end on a bright note, both Ted and Debbie acknowledged that Junhwan is a cute, good-looking darling :laugh:

Both of Yuzuru’s costumes seen in person are actually beautiful IMO. They read well when you’re sitting a bit farther away as opposed to seeing closeups on a feed - you see the ornamentation more as a design. Same as costumes made for a big theater or opera house.

Jason was very, very nervous. He’s in a new training environment with new coaches who are completely redoing his jump technique. And this is his first competitive program in years which wasn’t choreographed by Rohene. And it’s only 4 minutes now. He did a great though not flawless SP. The FS obviously showed that he’s a work in progress. Have patience.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Yuzu. Wow. Can't wait to see this performance live. What a treat that was. And Junwhan!!! Team Orser is flying again.:yahoo:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
At this early point of the season it´s too early to form a definite opinion of many programs as most of the freeskates are still a work in progress. I´m sure that later they´ll look just great as the choreography will be final and the skaters are feeling comfortable with their programs.

Congratulations to Hanyu for winning the gold medal, Cha for winning the silver & freeskate (I just love his program already now and I'm glad that in him Hanyu has a great training partner after Fernández) and for Sadovsky for winning the bronze medal!!!

MeineKatze

On the Ice
Just watched Cha Junhwan’s Program and got startled at the “Juliett!!” Lol but I quite liked the techno part, his arms and body move so beautifully during it!
As for Yuzuru I like both his sp and lp and his costumes~ and I’m so glad to see his 4Lo again (although it had a Shoma landing [emoji14])

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Both of Yuzuru’s costumes seen in person are actually beautiful IMO. They read well when you’re sitting a bit farther away as opposed to seeing closeups on a feed - you see the ornamentation more as a design. Same as costumes made for a big theater or opera house.

Jason was very, very nervous. He’s in a new training environment with new coaches who are completely redoing his jump technique. And this is his first competitive program in years which wasn’t choreographed by Rohene. And it’s only 4 minutes now. He did a great though not flawless SP. The FS obviously showed that he’s a work in progress. Have patience.

I was watching from a screen so you may be right on Yuzuru's costume being better when seen in person, but since I love his SP costume while being very much against his FS costume, I think it's more a matter of taste. For me, his SP costume is frilly and heavily decorated without being over-the-top or messy while his FS costume crosses over into "That is too much" territory. To be fair, my taste in costumes in general is summed up as "Simple is Best", so my definition for "too much" is probably different from most people's. I still adore Yuzuru regardless of costume choices, and who knows, as the season goes on I might warm up to it.

I think the fact that I very much enjoyed Jason's SP was one of the reasons I was disappointed in the FS. Knowing what magic he can produce and having seen that magic just a day ago raised my expectations quite a bit. I do hope that as he polishes off the program he'll give it that spark that draws the audience in, and I know he is very much capable of doing that.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
aymoz got a new fan...me!:biggrin: but he's not the only one...also the user Karne got me as a fan :laugh: i totally enjoyed his/hers fashion/tech reports. changing dubject, : now I got a problem. Cha’s one of my favourites wich means I have to listen too often to that pastiche (for lack of a better word) of rj themed music with voiceovers and di caprio screaming...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
aymoz got a new fan...me!:biggrin: but he's not the only one...also the user Karne got me as a fan :laugh: i totally enjoyed his/hers fashion/tech reports. changing dubject, : now I got a problem. Cha’s one of my favourites wich means I have to listen too often to that pastiche (for lack of a better word) of rj themed music with voiceovers and di caprio screaming...

That music cut is going to become the guiltiest of pleasures this season. JULIEEEEET!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The 1996 R+J soundtrack is always a great choice for any :biggrin:skating program imo, Hanyu already used it to great effect. I like it. Hanyu's music choices and costumes are great this season, I'm glad he finally has two new programs and I guess he really wanted to satisfy me. :biggrin: My favourite Weir and my favourite Plushenko program music. And he's going to do it even better, I have no doubt. He's only just getting started.
Jason Brown has a nice SP, but the FS is downright boring.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I fell asleep yesterday after spilling guts in SP thread, here are some belated thoughts on FS.

Jason's FS is obviously a bit work in progress for me...Him being very nervous (it showed clearly even from the starting pose and after that spooked 4S) and still adjusting to this new concept of non-Rohene choreography and new training environment makes the program unfinished per se for me, so it is quite difficult to judge my feelings about it as for now. It's just too much emphasis of getting the job done right now as for executing this particular program, in that form and choreography, not like performing it, feeling it with full attention. I'm waiting for Jason to fill out the music and the movement with his charisma, his connection with audience to give this FS a proper look. I'm not a fan of this costume though, that's for sure - it is a major let-down for me, very basic in the worst sense, that shirt has to go quickly; I do think that such music is not an easy one to pick up an outfit that will match, but won't be to crazy/too dull, I just hope that at least these kitchen curtain stripes will disappear. As for music choice and how choreography goes with it - I think that this is a challenge for Jason to have a bit of 'vintage' music like that, but to make a modern, 'current' program, performance of it that will have an impact now; gauging from his nervousness about layout/quad, it was visibly difficult for him to get past that and to go into the music and performance deeper like he used to many times. I won't cross that FS yet as I think that Jason's personality and attitude could make it work once he get used to all novelty; more sense of 'familiarity' and stability can give him the right push, not stressing too much in advance.

Junhwan and that tripped version of R&J - I mean like I said in SP thread, for me this is a concept of Romeo being off his meds, going into club searching for Juliet:laugh:. It is definitely a major OUT THERE moment and I applaud him for pulling this off like he did, because well, he really was feeling himself from how it looked like for me - he moved confidently and looked like had a good time there. Maybe because he was very solid as for execution, I kind of bought this tripped concept? I don't know. If he wants to channel and embrace weirdness of these cuts, voiceovers, techno bits I would go even further with costume. I smiled a lot during this program, cringed with eyeroll at that 'JULIETTTTTTTTT!!!' voiceover of good 'ole Leo DiCaprio, but never got bored. I think that this program will be either hated or loved, but never leaving audience indifferent and it may put Junhwan on the map, because it will be difficult to ignore 'this', especially with such execution. It is a lot musically to take, there's this weirdness of techno bits, but somehow I felt that choreography and Jun's crispness in movement cooled it down. I have to say that both programs are 'out there' and I did not expect them to look like that after choices were announced AND having them for Junhwan of all skaters - but it is a challenge and a push in some direction, a new opening, it will be interesting to see how these programs will fit in the season.

Speaking of challenges and/or statements...I think that Yuzuru's FS poses a certain challenge to him and to the audience - this Nijinsky piece with Marton's arrangement is a) not everyone's cup of tea musically and b) is very strongly associated with Plushenko, but like I said for SP even from this first performance there is a sense of purpose/vision and 'creation's feel' in Yuzuru's take on that theme, even with mistakes. It feels for me like does not want to cross out Plushenko's presence and impact from the piece, but build his interpretation of that moment, creating his version, his moment out of it - the aesthetic is pretty dramatic, 'big' and ornamental and I feel that Yuzuru wants to integrate all aspects together (costume, expression, layout, musicality, Plushenko's influence, vibe of the piece etc.) to produce a bit of this 'art in motion' moment that will encompass motion, act, emotion together. I really like certain 'heaviness' in how he accentuated music, this decisiveness in movement, but with these spread-eagle movements that kind of prolonged the moment, held the tension, it was a bit like his costume (which I really liked, kind of reminisce of old era's costumes a bit, but looking sophisticated, rich, exactly what I expected for that program, black & gold always look good for me): black as for this strong movement, but with details as for golden accents. I feel that this piece comes with history, legacy Yuzuru himself looks up to (hence the choice), but right mileage and development could really make his own piece others will look up to; he is really at this point of being free to make statements like these SP & FS in my opinion, to reflect past in his current work. For me, both programs have this 'vintage' notion and air about them, but in interesting way of seeing these already performed pieces through Yuzuru's sensibility loaded with his personal sentiments. And I like how subtlety in SP contrasts with richness of FS.

And the FS that stole my heart - Kevin Aymoz did that again in free! This was indeed like watching a contemporary dancer performing routine on ice, where blades did not limit him, but gave additional flow to his movement. I've watched it probably 10 times already and every time I see something new, expression, gesture, movement of hand or head - the program alone looks like one, giant impression of the musical moment enclosed in motion, but with how Kevin interpreted it, with such dose of emotion in his whole body, it made such an impact on me from various perspectives: artistic experience, figure skating experience, performance level...He produced such complex wholesome by that program and performance of it - from the very first move the atmosphere was set and he just flowed with the music towards climax, I just loved the purity of movement, the focus on its beauty, musicality in choreography (kudos to Zimmermann & Co. again:bow:), it looked like his whole body sang the song. His expression and movement perfectly gave out the fragility and power of that music: from affection on his face, through sliding motions to aerial moves, every step held the moment, prolonged the impression. I love how consummated he was within this program, this intensity was just infectious. He really looks like a new skater this season due to this repertoire, both programs are bringing an artist from him, make his body a part of the music to express.