2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kevin Aymoz just became one of my favorite skaters! What a brilliant blend of contemporary dance with skating. His ability to move within his space with numerous level changes and "floorwork", innovative moves, and spread eagles is stunning. For me, it truly deserved that one 9.00 in composition in two 9.00s in interpretation.

cell

On the Ice
Does anyone else really dislike Hanyu's FS music? Plushenko used it in the past I guess? I really don't like this composer...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So cool to see folks on the Kévin Aymoz train:cool:

Of course, he had those same performance chops in juniors. But everything else was horribly, horribly inconsistent. Now everyone knows I don’t care about jumps, but the French fed did, so even when Aymoz was winning hearts, they sent skaters who in the French fed’s humble estimation were better positioned (read quads, more than one, on more tha one comp) to win.

Maybe they (FFSG) will change their minds. Maybe they won’t. So keep yours eyes open while you can;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Protocol question: One of Junhwan's combos is written as a 3F+1Eu+3S<. I may have been in the dark about some of the new rules, but are they writing half loops this way now? If so, why?

Yeah. Dumb rule change. Classic ISU fixing stuff that isn't broken. It's stupid, everyone knew what was meant when you write 3F-1Lo-3S. It just creates an additional headache for the tech panel and data person. Dumb dumb dumb. As you can probably tell by the fact that I have stubbornly continued to type 1Lo in my PBPs. I expect this change will go the way of the 2p/3p in the combo spins a couple of years ago; quietly disappeared after one season.

Does anyone else really dislike Hanyu's FS music? Plushenko used it in the past I guess? I really don't like this composer...

It's Nijinsky! (Well actually the piece is called Art on Ice). Hanyu's arrangement is super weird though.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, I have Cha on my 2022 Olympic podium. But his current free skate caused both my boyfriend and my mother to laugh out loud, which makes hyping him difficult.

I would love love LOVE to see him there... and you don't know, three years from now, he could be Brian's next golden one. Even if not, I like him more and more every time I watch him, and will keep my fingers cross (for three years... ouch, that will make typing fun)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So cool to see folks on the Kévin Aymoz train:cool:

Of course, he had those same performance chops in juniors. But everything else was horribly, horribly inconsistent. Now everyone knows I don’t care about jumps, but the French fed did, so even when Aymoz was winning hearts, they sent skaters who in the French fed’s humble estimation were better positioned (read quads, more than one, on more tha one comp) to win.

Maybe they (FFSG) will change their minds. Maybe they won’t. So keep yours eyes open while you can;)

I know. I've liked him for 2 years, and thought he should of had more exposure. :biggrin:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the videos of the men's skate. I must say, I thought the women gave a better show, however, there were bright spots.

Loved Yuzuru's program, but was surprised at the mistakes. It's early in the season, so I know they'll be fixed, but it was just surprising to see.

My fave program of the night was Kevin Aymoz's. Amazing! The Amazing Aymoz! LOL I just thought he skated it wonderfully.

Sorry to see what went down with Jason. I'll say it again, I'm glad the ponytail is gone! I just hope he can put it together for future competitions.

The R&J disco program.............I'm still scratching my head over that one. I'm giving away my age away with this (LOL) but when I reading the posts of "disco R&J" I immediately went here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSXglmg1ig

That is a 4 minute edit......the full musical experience was on an album done in five 'acts' and the total running time was over 33 minutes. :eek:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Metis, who is on your ladies 2022 podium?

Probably this. I don’t expect much.

You haven’t done this properly. The acceptable deviation on any individual element is 2.5, with 7.0 deviation points being allowed for all elements together in SP, and 12 in the FS (one per element). And you need to use the average raw GOE mark of all the judges, not the factored and trimmed score in the GOE column. (The GOE range used to be 1.50... they made an error in this report by re-using their old examples for the +/-3 range, which would no longer trigger evaluation.)

Anyways, he actually was outside the corridor on the 4Lo in the FS, and also the first spin, but not the TR mark. In the SP the 3A mark was fine, but he was outside the corridor on the 4T+3T. And for both programs, his total deviation in GOE marks was outside the corridor while PCS was well within.

I don’t know how he scored others, comparatively. I’ve noticed it’s a lot more common for judges to be outside the corridor on GOE, probably because the PCS corridor is massive (plus this season, nobody seems sure how to even use the new GOE system). All the other judges managed to stay within the corridor on every mark, though.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted but while I was AFK (that I needed to calculate the entire average and take the deviation from there). I mean, the fact that ISU couldn’t even update their examples for the new +/- 2.50 range kind of says it all in terms of how much they actually care. (I found it amusing, anyway. But I also read ISU communications when bored.)

The US judge seemed to be trying to score lower-BV elements up in terms of GOE, while staying more negative on the jumps, hoping the overall deviation total would come out a wash. At least, that’s what it looked like he did to me. Apparently he was recently suspended as well? His marks for the others seemed reasonable enough, but he had some really stand-out “don’t drink and judge” moments in Hanyu’s protocols. Hope he’s removed as a judge for being an awful person and incompetent.

I don’t really have complaints about final scores and I think everyone should chill when we hear the numbers, but I’m not optimistic about the new system. Not sure how I feel about negative and positive scores going through when the range broadens beyond -1 to +1. If someone has -1 and other judges have +3 and +4, that... seems wrong, somehow. So does a -2 and +2 split. An element can’t be both below and above average simultaneously.

cell

On the Ice
It's Nijinsky! (Well actually the piece is called Art on Ice). Hanyu's arrangement is super weird though.

OK, I think it was Totmianina and Marinin who used this arrangement as well. I hate it.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
OK, I think it was Totmianina and Marinin who used this arrangement as well. I hate it.

Would you rather he paid tribute to Plushenko with “Sex Bomb”?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Loved Yuzuru's program, but was surprised at the mistakes. It's early in the season, so I know they'll be fixed, but it was just surprising to see.

Not only is it totally Yuzu for his first competition :laugh: we do have to also remember that, part from that little February stint with painkillers, grit and oh yes, Olympic gold, he hasn't been in a competition since November. I'm just grateful that for the second time, he hasn't taken said gold and waved goodbye...

cell

On the Ice
Would you rather he paid tribute to Plushenko with “Sex Bomb”?

LOL. Hmmm, no. But yeah I hate Edvin Marton's arranegments, he used to be really in vogue with Russian skaters circa 2006. And I really don't like Otonal as well. it's extremely monotonus. Kind of a big step down from Chopin IMO.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL. Hmmm, no. But yeah I hate Edvin Marton's arranegments, he used to be really in vogue with Russian skaters circa 2006.

We can't listen to them with the same ears/mind as that tiny awestruck boy Yuzuru is unabashedly channelling and indulging this year :) but having listened to the two pieces for Origin about a billion times since media day... yeah, I'll love it.

katymay

Medalist
Kevin Aymoz just became one of my favorite skaters! What a brilliant blend of contemporary dance with skating. His ability to move within his space with numerous level changes and "floorwork", innovative moves, and spread eagles is stunning. For me, it truly deserved that one 9.00 in composition in two 9.00s in interpretation.

Agree. He was the highlight of the competition for me. He is unusual and innovative to say the least.

katymay

Medalist
And I was waiting for the TCC podium sweep. :roll9:

I've never really understood the appeal of Jason, but he completely sold me with his SP. But this just confused me. I was just expecting more after how much I liked the SP.

I love Jason, but this I didn't like. I disliked the music-so slow and sleepy- thought the program was empty and boring. Nothing about this program was innovative or interesting. (IMO). I like Simon and Garfunkel, but not this particular rendition. It just seemed to meander on and on and go nowhere.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I can't get over the R&J voiceovers (JULIET!!!!!!) and random techo. Cha...what a masterpiece you have

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I can't believe I missed Junhwan getting a silver (and by god, a better score in the FS than Yuzuru), just finished catching up. Thoughts:

- Roman Sadovsky deserved that bronze, beautiful skate (minus that fall in the 3A) with beautifully edited music, that's how you do that people. Not a fan of his costume though, it doesn't go with the beatiful music.

- First reaction on seeing Yuzuru's costume: :eeking: I thought we had moved on from that... look... since Evangelion... You may be Hanyu Yuzuru and have gorgeous body lines, but that is just... :palmf: Overall impression: was a letdown, to be honest. I absolutely love Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky, and as everyone knows it's a program known for an amazing step sequence with jaw-dropping footwork and beautiful choreography throughout. I didn't see much of any of those. Sure, there were nice moments (like the hydroblade right on cue with the music), but overall I didn't get the feeling that he was performing. It just seemed like skating to music, not expressing emotions and sentiments. Also, after that hard fall, he just seemed drained of energy. His jumps didn't have the power and ease he's known for, and his spins were not up to standards. I was not expecting to be like :eek:hwell: after watching Yuzuru, I hope he refines the program to have that energy and finesse he and the music deserves.

- Another disappointment: Jason Brown. Pops and step-outs aside, where is that connection to the music and heartfelt performance that makes him special? He was just doing his job, period. This was the first time since I've started following figure skating that I wasn't engrossed in his performance. Bland choreo and subpar music cuts don't help either. I want 4CC Jason Brown back, with or without the ponytail.

- Oh, Junhwan, you know I love you senseless and I was ecstatic about your medal, but I just can't get behind this program. You were great technically (just that step-out on the 4S and the underrotated 3S, and they weren't that much of an eyesore) and as always your musicality shined, but you deserve better than this. For the music, I have been freaked out ever since listening to it at practice, and I still kind of want to throttle the person who thought that TECHNO in ROMEO AND JULIET WAS A GOOD IDEA, not to mention Leonardo SCREAMING "JULIET!!!!!!!!!!!" BELONGED IN THE PROGRAM. Also, Shae-Lynne Bourne have made many great programs, but this isn't one of her best work. And love, your musicality is smooth, elegant, and subtle, while this program is big, dramatic, and demanding of a larger-than-life personality. You are a gust of wind that makes the river ripple and the trees sway, not a tempest that roars like a beast at one moment and quiets down to a soft drizzle the next on a whim that this choreography requires. I know you'll be working on it throughout this season to make it better and better (and I love you for it), but I don't think I'll ever be able to love this program. (Off topic, but this is the same situation with darling squirtle Eunsoo, both with a lovely SP and a FS that doesn't let them show their best sides...) But to end on a bright note, both Ted and Debbie acknowledged that Junhwan is a cute, good-looking darling :laugh:

hortensja

On the Ice

Me. I really don't like this type of artists, like Marton, Vanessa Mae, Bocelli. And I really hated when Plushy skated with him on ice. And yes, a tribute to Plush"s "Sexbomb"? why not :D It would be more authentic ;)