2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was complaining about Jun's horrific music cuts (and they still are that) but he clearly loves it. It makes him move and makes him confident, so all is forgiven and I will gladly watch his LP all throughout the season. Wonderful performance Jun!

Looks like Jason lost the confidence in his jumps after the pop on the sal, and it kind of unwound. The first half of his LP is a little too empty for me, and I've never said that before about Jason. Love the way the LP ends. There's the SP that was solid so I hope he only remembers that. :luv17:

Yuzu was exactly how I expected him to be at this time of year, conditioning-wise. :biggrin: Both his programs this year are going to blow the roof off when he gets them right. I'm so grateful he's decided to stay one more season (and beyond?) what a treat for us fans. :love:

Last edited:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I admittedly did the math in my head, but I counted the US judge’s deviation points in Yuzu’s free skate, and he is above the 12 allowed. And just to be sure... yeah, he’s well-above the allowed margin for the short as well. He also has a mark that’s greater than the +/- 2.5 allowed in both Yuzu’s skates. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

pearly

Record Breaker
I admittedly did the math in my head, but I counted the US judge’s deviation points in Yuzu’s free skate, and he is above the 12 allowed. And just to be sure... yeah, he’s well-above the allowed margin for the short as well. He also has a mark that’s greater than the +/- 2.5 allowed in both Yuzu’s skates. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Please explain? I'm not familiar with this.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My thoughts on this competition. I really enjoyed it. My favorite is Aymoz, his skate was captivating. Jun - I love the R&J , it's great. Hanyu 's program will be a masterpiece. Finally, Jason is on the right path; the FS needs the first half tweeked, love the second.

skateflake

On the Ice
Love the podium pics. Suitably autumn colors on the bouquets, but what on
earth is the medal supposed to be?

Metis

Record Breaker
Please explain? I'm not familiar with this.

Everyone, let’s open our hymnals to ISU communication 2194.

Short version:
1. The acceptable variance for the GOE of an element is no more than +/- 2.5. If a judge is more than 2.5 (plus or minus) off the average, that GOE mark is automatically flagged for evaluation.
2. Total deviation points: the total amount a judge can miss the average is equal to the number of elements performed. (For Yuzu’s short, that’s 7; for the free, it’s 12.) The ISU calls the gap between the calculated average of the judges and a judge’s individual marks Deviation Points.
3. Negative and positive values do not cancel each other out when totaling Deviation Points. So if a judge was -1.5 from the average on one element and +2 on another, that’s a total of 3.5 Deviation Points, not 0.5. The absolute value of how much a judge missed the average on each element matters, not in which direction.
4. If an element is invalidated and given NO VALUE (as in Yuzu’s short), the total amount of Deviation Points remain (7, since there was an attempt at the element), but all judges are given a 0 in Deviation Points for that element.
5. The procedure for calculating acceptable variance in programme component marks is different and outlined in the communication linked.

So let’s look at J2 (the US Judge) during Yuzu’s free: for the first element, the 4Lo, the average is 2.10, while J2 gave -1. That’s 1.1 Deviation Points. You can keep adding the variance for each element. It’s more than the allowed range.

What I’m basically saying is that, regardless of what I think of Yuzu’s scores (they’re fine), the American judge (who gave Yuzuru a +1 on his 3A) is, per ISU’s standards and assuming I understand them fully, out of consensus beyond what’s considered reasonable. When I saw his 7.75 in TR, I wanted to see if he actually was scoring Yuzuru weirdly or if it was just that +1 on the 3A from the short. It wasn’t a one-off.

Doesn’t really leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about the upcoming rest of the season.

skateflake

On the Ice
Speaking of shapes, that reminds me. I think it was Julian Yee who had a fantastic
gold ice skate charm on his necklace.

Metis

Record Breaker
I couldn't stop laughing to JUUULIEEETT! Admittedly, I've forgotten about the skating since it caught me off guard. :laugh2:

[emoji23]

I legit will never understand how this cluttered mess came to be when Cha trains with Hanyu, and his R&J1 will forever remain one of my all-time favourite programmes (and does a lot of work getting people who don’t know anything about skating into it). I love Cha, but the programme itself is so distracting that I can’t even appreciate what he’s doing, and there’s just entirely too much going on.

Maybe he can borrow Hanyu’s R&J costume, though? The purple is fab, but it doesn’t connect with the programme for me.

livingonedges

Spectator
True, I think we will see Jun growing a lot this season.

Although, I do believe his podium potential will be high in the future like in the grand prix (2019/2020). That's my mini prediction (and hopefully better music)!

Metis

Record Breaker
Oh, I have Cha on my 2022 Olympic podium. But his current free skate caused both my boyfriend and my mother to laugh out loud, which makes hyping him difficult.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
[emoji23]

I legit will never understand how this cluttered mess came to be when Cha trains with Hanyu, and his R&J1 will forever remain one of my all-time favourite programmes (and does a lot of work getting people who don’t know anything about skating into it). I love Cha, but the programme itself is so distracting that I can’t even appreciate what he’s doing, and there’s just entirely too much going on.

Maybe he can borrow Hanyu’s R&J costume, though? The purple is fab, but it doesn’t connect with the programme for me.

Metis, who is on your ladies 2022 podium?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Everyone, let’s open our hymnals to ISU communication 2194.

... ... ...

So let’s look at J2 (the US Judge) during Yuzu’s free: for the first element, the 4Lo, the average is 2.10, while J2 gave -1. That’s 1.1 Deviation Points. You can keep adding the variance for each element. It’s more than the allowed range.

What I’m basically saying is that, regardless of what I think of Yuzu’s scores (they’re fine), the American judge (who gave Yuzuru a +1 on his 3A) is, per ISU’s standards and assuming I understand them fully, out of consensus beyond what’s considered reasonable. When I saw his 7.75 in TR, I wanted to see if he actually was scoring Yuzuru weirdly or if it was just that +1 on the 3A from the short. It wasn’t a one-off.

Doesn’t really leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about the upcoming rest of the season.

You haven’t done this properly. The acceptable deviation on any individual element is 2.5, with 7.0 deviation points being allowed for all elements together in SP, and 12 in the FS (one per element). And you need to use the average raw GOE mark of all the judges, not the factored and trimmed score in the GOE column. (The GOE range used to be 1.50... they made an error in this report by re-using their old examples for the +/-3 range, which would no longer trigger evaluation.)

Anyways, he actually was outside the corridor on the 4Lo in the FS, and also the first spin, but not the TR mark. In the SP the 3A mark was fine, but he was outside the corridor on the 4T+3T. And for both programs, his total deviation in GOE marks was outside the corridor while PCS was well within.

I don’t know how he scored others, comparatively. I’ve noticed it’s a lot more common for judges to be outside the corridor on GOE, probably because the PCS corridor is massive (plus this season, nobody seems sure how to even use the new GOE system). All the other judges managed to stay within the corridor on every mark, though.