2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Free Skate

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Protocol question: One of Junhwan's combos is written as a 3F+1Eu+3S<. I may have been in the dark about some of the new rules, but are they writing half loops this way now? If so, why?

LaArdilla

Medalist
Protocol question: One of Junhwan's combos is written as a 3F+1Eu+3S<. I may have been in the dark about some of the new rules, but are they writing half loops this way now? If so, why?

They changed it into Euler, Eu for short, this season. Just to be fancy I guess. There was a German skater named Euler apparently.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I guess apparently a half-loop is called a Euler -- and some old school people at ISU thought it should be called that.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay Junhwan. Now, that was just fantastic. I loved watching that skate. Of course Yuzu is more skilled in the skating and the overall view of a programme, but I dearly love Junhwan here. Sorry about Jason, loved the new French guy - so creative. It's a pity there were two great competitions at the same time, making me switch from the one to the other all the time. Still, getting to see Yuzu early on is a joy, while getting to see the great Junhwan (Yes, I'm already calling him that) was great.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Now I have to catch up with Ondrej Nepela, no idea how it all went down over there. What a crazy weekend, I'm almost happy Sunday will be skating-free :D Thank God next week we have only one Challenger, but then there is a JGP in Ostrava and French Masters, for those who want to see P/C new programs.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now I have to catch up with Ondrej Nepela, no idea how it all went down over there. What a crazy weekend, I'm almost happy Sunday will be skating-free :D Thank God next week we have only one Challenger, but then there is a JGP in Ostrava and French Masters, for those who want to see P/C new programs.

Same. I gotta study for a quiz that's on Monday.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I guess apparently a half-loop is called a Euler -- and some old school people at ISU thought it should be called that.

Well, in Europe (ot at least in Poland) it was always called Euler :) Just Like Loop is called Rittberger.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, in Europe (ot at least in Poland) it was always called Euler :) Just Like Loop is called Rittberger.

Yes, that's my understanding that it was the European term, so it doesn't surprise me that ISU went with it.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Hanyu’s team needs to work on those spins— that’s three invalid sit positions in one competition. I’m liking the program so far, although I know that he can perform with a lot more abandon during the steps and ChSq than he did today.

Congrats to Junhwan! I loooove the cyber R&J... but please, can they just double down on it? Make that the entire program. None of this narrator nonsense. I’m loving the 3Lz+3Lo, too.

I haven’t paid attention to Aymoz before but he was really spectacular. Incredible performer.

rinkside_user

On the Ice

They changed it into Euler, Eu for short, this season. Just to be fancy I guess. There was a German skater named Euler apparently.

It was/is also called a Thorén after Per Thorén to keep things fancy but not simple.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The more I stare at protocols, the less sense they make, so some fun stuff:

Yuzuru, Andrew Dodds, and Adonis Wong are the only ones to make it through the FS without a UR call. Or any other technical call — no e or ! calls. Kevin Aymoz got a UR call on the Euler and a wrong edge call on the flip, so even without the UR, he still wouldn’t have avoided a mark. Both of Bennett’s quads were called UR. Yuzu and Roman both had two clean quads (Cha got a UR on the 4S), which is the most anyone managed.

-1 to +3 on an element is a five point span and the fact that it ranges from “not even a good element” to “good quality element” bugs me. It also means Yuzu and Aymoz split the “Judges Be Drunk” trophy, as both have a five-point split in GOE for one element — Yuzu’s 4Lo (-1 to +3) and Kevin’s 4T (0 to +4). Congrats?

Roman’s 3A-1Eu-3S sequence was the highest-value element of any skate. Highest GOE awarded was +3.99, for Yuzu’s 4T.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So we ended up with 6 successful, no UR landed quads, it looks like
Yuzu and Roman had 2 each, Jun had 1, Kevin had 1. Everyone else fell, UR or popped on their attempts.

Ted wins the prize for his guess of 10.

Last edited:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
So we ended up with 6 successful, no UR landed quads, it looks like
Yuzu and Roman had 2, Jun had 1, Kevin had 1. Everyone else fell, UR or popped on their attempts.

At first I read Kevin as Kevin Reynolds and was about to say “Wait, since when did he add to the quad count?” but now we have two Kevins. [emoji23]

18 Attempts, 6 Successes. So a one in three success rate overall, but of the guys who tried three or more quads, Yuzu and Roman went two for three, while Kevin R. went 0-3. Statistically meaningless, but it was fun to keep track!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not this time.
But he continues his streak of getting 260s for his score at this event for the third year in a row though so I guess the consistency is there :slink:

Not only that, but starting off slow (the WR last year was an anomaly...) but ph noy is it a beautiful program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
At first I read Kevin as Kevin Reynolds and was about to say “Wait, since when did he add to the quad count?” but now we have two Kevins. [emoji23]

18 Attempts, 6 Successes. So a one in three success rate overall, but of the guys who tried three or more quads, Yuzu and Roman went two for three, while Kevin R. went 0-3. Statistically meaningless, but it was fun to keep track!

Maybe I should call him French Kevin or something to distinguish him from Kevin Reynolds. Or Kevin with the mustache.