2018 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs SP

berry8

Final Flight
I have just watched some videos of the competition... Wow... So many spectators [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Not even a B event

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A somewhat unrelated questions, but how come no pairs do change hand death spirals anymore? I was looking at some older programs from Sochi and there were a few, but I haven't seen one for ages, except maybe a Junior Team who I don't remember the name of.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I know this is top score for US pairs?? That is really due to the absence of many top teams that would other wise be there. They should thank the skate Gods it' n Olympic year. They skated well, they all did but with the top 6 or 7 teams in the World actually there the scores would look a lot differently spread out so it is misleading to give them that moniker that is some added pressure for next year when everyone is there and they are not so high? Everyone knows no one is there so just enjoy the good skating don't give them pressure. That said what would the scores be if the 6 or 7 of the top teams in the World were there at this competition too?? 80's to 70's? SO the 1st place would not be the top score Internationally for USA. That said when given a gift by the skate Gods and no pressure to speak of take it and make the best and they all did. Bravo USA and AUSSIE and KOREA who I would have had higher place. Also I would have the Aussies in first and Lubov Dillon up some places, otherwise all is good. This is a good competition after all.

skatemouse

On the Ice
A somewhat unrelated questions, but how come no pairs do change hand death spirals anymore? I was looking at some older programs from Sochi and there were a few, but I haven't seen one for ages, except maybe a Junior Team who I don't remember the name of.

Good question I miss that:( Apparently it doesn't bring extra points like some other things do and is not worth it but maybe someone knows more technically why?

aname

On the Ice
The change of hand used to be a level feature, so pretty much everybody who could do it did it. It isn't anymore, so very few pairs do it.

I think the rule change came the season after Sochi.

Bcash

Final Flight
The changing-hand death spirals were the worst, just visually very awkward with most of the men twisted into ugly positions and the women loosing speed barely haing on.

Glad the rules changed.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Yes, they must, they are only human and Canadian Nationals was barely more than a week ago. And Dylan did mention having some sort of accident in December. The levels and non-jumping elements haven't been as strong for them this season as they have been in the past. A missed lift level for a team that is typically great at lifts is unfortunate. But I give them credit for coming to this event, and they still could win, who knows. It's very close.

I heard (from reliable source) that it was an accident that included a concussion, lacerations and a pretty big cut on the palm of his right hand (see Cdn Nat'ls videos where it was wrapped).
He looks a lot better than he did a week or so ago.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I know this is top score for US pairs?? That is really due to the absence of many top teams that would other wise be there. They should thank the skate Gods it' n Olympic year. They skated well, they all did but with the top 6 or 7 teams in the World actually there the scores would look a lot differently spread out so it is misleading to give them that moniker that is some added pressure for next year when everyone is there and they are not so high? Everyone knows no one is there so just enjoy the good skating don't give them pressure. That said what would the scores be if the 6 or 7 of the top teams in the World were there at this competition too?? 80's to 70's? SO the 1st place would not be the top score Internationally for USA. That said when given a gift by the skate Gods and no pressure to speak of take it and make the best and they all did. Bravo USA and AUSSIE and KOREA who I would have had higher place. Also I would have the Aussies in first and Lubov Dillon up some places, otherwise all is good. This is a good competition after all.

Well, the top 6 or 7 aren't all invited to this event. But I agree they would be behind the Chinese who would have been there.

slider11

Medalist
I am heart-broken for Luba and Dylan. Really hoping for a great LP. This may be the last time we seem them competitively but I hope they might stick it out.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have just watched some videos of the competition... Wow... So many spectators [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Not even a B event

It will be interesting to see if "the powers that be's" plan to put it in Anaheim next season bears fruit to up attendence. Wish the GPF were there.....
If Hanyu and Asada could be bribed to show up, I guarantee good attendance! :yahoo:

noskates

Record Breaker

I don't think anyone believes this is a top=rated competition during an Olympic year but don't minimize some of the skaters. This gives them a chance to compete on the international level and is almost an extension of the Grand Prix series. It allows some of the skaters on the bubble to get confidence in a high pressure (for them) environment.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Well, the top 6 or 7 aren't all invited to this event. But I agree they would be behind the Chinese who would have been there.
If it wasn't an Olympic year it would look a lot different and so would the point spread. Scores are higher for lower level teams as the top teams are not there. They were probably invited but did not accept as their athletes are going to the Olympics and the turn around is too fast. Obviously. Was the meaning. Thank you skate Gods. Look at 4CC in 2016, 2015 or ? Are there not normally three Canadian top team there?and three Chinese teams there? The other USA team? or other Countries teams that score in the top? That is several top teams gone....it makes it more interesting to have lower tier teams all in a battle and very good them also.

Fs should be very good everyone at same/close points.

TO clarify I am not saying it is not great opportunity for all skater and they are all rising to occasion. Just keeping it reality in putting the scores out as highest of year. Confidence is really good in the bubble of reality. I also said it makes an otherwise dull competition way more of an interesting moment. Here's to a great FS.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Impressed with teams don't remember seeing before, Aussie team, Korean team strong, and Deanna American Pair.

slider11

Medalist
I heard (from reliable source) that it was an accident that included a concussion, lacerations and a pretty big cut on the palm of his right hand (see Cdn Nat'ls videos where it was wrapped).
He looks a lot better than he did a week or so ago.

I'm pretty sure this is it for Dylan. He's in his 30's and I think has made it known that he needs to get on with his life; this is why Kirsten MT ditched him for Michael M. But Luba, I think, is in her mid 20s and is a terrific pairs skater EXCEPT for SBS jumps. She worked so hard to get her Canadian citizenship. I wonder if there's another Canadian male pair skater in the wings that could pair with her. She's very petite so size should not be the issue. Luba needs to go to "jump" camp first but there must be someone out there for her!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
But Luba, I think, is in her mid 20s and is a terrific pairs skater EXCEPT for SBS jumps. She worked so hard to get her Canadian citizenship. I wonder if there's another Canadian male pair skater in the wings that could pair with her. She's very petite so size should not be the issue. Luba needs to go to "jump" camp first but there must be someone out there for her!

Yes, Mervin Tran. He & Marissa just aren't gelling.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is a great event for everyone but I/M Everyone else is being encouraged and have done well. The aussies well I wouldn't say I am surprised they have been considered a top team for the last couple of years and have a jr title. But really the Americans and Aussies and all except I/M should be encouraged.

i/M really need to pull it together. With the oly dream gone this was hopefully a swan song. If they don't win well it will be a further let down. A great upswing for everyone else but not so good for I/M.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure this is it for Dylan. He's in his 30's and I think has made it known that he needs to get on with his life; this is why Kirsten MT ditched him for Michael M. But Luba, I think, is in her mid 20s and is a terrific pairs skater EXCEPT for SBS jumps. She worked so hard to get her Canadian citizenship. I wonder if there's another Canadian male pair skater in the wings that could pair with her. She's very petite so size should not be the issue. Luba needs to go to "jump" camp first but there must be someone out there for her!

Davin Portz?