2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yes. Why would they have a harder time if they've been adapting to new rules every time the ISU changes them? the ISU changes rules like every 2yrs. Old fans should be used to rules changing. Logically new fans who aren't used to the rules should be the ones confused: "why are the rules not the same as they were last year? :confused:" :laugh:

Well that makes perfect sense too :laugh2:

See....I’m learning :yahoo:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I’m happy for Stasya. A lot of vocal support here for other skaters but she’s often overlooked and even used as somewhat of a punching bag. Good for her to get a silver at her first GP event. She seems to have the ability to put together a good FS which really pays off big in an event like this. It would be cool to see her sneak into the GPF and it wouldn’t be all that shocking TBH.

I thought she did very well today. Extremely well for her GP debut!

Agree with the punching bag thing. This is my first time seeing her, so my "knowledge" came from those critiques.

I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. :agree:

leoleo

Medalist
Lmao so far the ladies GP has been RUS - JPN - RUS - JPN - RUS - JPN! RIP every other country :drama:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Lmao so far the ladies GP has been RUS - JPN - RUS - JPN - RUS - JPN! RIP every other country :drama:

Well in addition to the "Old Guard" :laugh:, there have been some great GP debuts by RUS and JPN.

AND Rika Kihira is waiting patiently for her debut!

frida80

Record Breaker
She knows people have high expectations and she is also a perfectionist. Even with a clean skate, she knows she made mistakes, could have been better. It's not enough for her, which is good, but only if she's strong enough to not let it get to her and disrupt her when she really needs to deliver. She made a great comeback today so we know she can stay focused enough to deliver when it's needed.

I think I wouldn't be so upset if she had an expression slightly like McKayla after she missed the vault in London. Angry and disappointed with herself. Alina looks like she wants to cry! It's hard to watch her like that. :cry:

lusk8

Record Breaker
I love this podiums. The hexagonal shape is awesome. Nice colors. Just think just a few weeks before we see the French disco wobble podiums.

On the plus side: will we see that pink acrylic star again?

It will be quite an upgrade on the acrylic coasters the GPs have been using so far.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This is what is almost impossible to see on computer or tv, because often the screen and voice usually are not at synchro exactly: Alina's every move are planned to music and she does everything very accurately. I am impressed.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Selfishly loved seeing the ceremony because Alina and Kaori together during happier times = such a contrast to yesterday!

But please tell me those are place holder medals or something :drama:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Selfishly loved seeing the ceremony because Alina and Kaori together during happier times = such a contrast to yesterday!

But please tell me those are place holder medals or something :drama:

I was just running here to say the same. I looked at a podium picture and thought they were invisible...yikes. I think they just say 1st/2nd/3rd place on them.

Taking back all of my petty critiques of the Skate America and Skate Canada medals now.

EdRoz

Record Breaker
Always going to be disagreements when it comes to figure skating.

But one thing I think everyone will agree on....

I hope after this competition, we will NEVER see that foot ad again!:palmf:

Ok , for your choice — Foot or Durex :laugh:

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
A silver for Stasya... yes, this event is cursed :dev3:

At least she deliver it, but Kaori's FS it's almost a different sport.

SXTN

Final Flight
I love the scoring today. I think it was very fair.

I do think Kaori deserves more credit in SS because she is so fast with deep edges and some of her jumps deserve a little more GOE too.

Alina is of course the transition queen: except for the two Lutz combos every element came out of difficult entries. And every movement is designed to highlight the music. From the beginning on I felt that her ChSq is very weak though (DQ was so much better) and rightfully the judges rewarded it with a +2 only on average. I hope they will change it.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Alina is a fighter and I’m kinda happy she got called by the panel, then she can improve even more.

Stasya was, umm... underwhelming, even clean. Her performance at Nats was waaayyy better. She filled the quota of one clean performance per season too early.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Okay, I've watched the event and glanced at the protocols and one thing is clear to me - Kaori absolutely should have had the highest PCS of this comp IMO. Alina should win the transitions mark, though not by a huge margin, and Kaori should win the rest. I don't think their final placements are wrong (I would have had Stanislava 3rd, but it was close); it's just that the one thing that constantly challenges me as a fan is just how much reputation matters to your PCS and GOE.

frida80

Record Breaker
From what I can tell, her practices were spectacular so I think it is nerves. She always struck me as the nervy type. She is the most talented senior lady IMO, but may still have some confidence issues. I think keeping her Don Quixote for Olympic season was a genius decision by her coaching staff. You could tell she was so comfortable skating it, even Olympic pressure couldn't get to her. I suspect we will see a much more confident Carmen as the season progresses. She was tight and slower today, but when she is more comfortable with the program, I think she will be on fire.

I guess that’s why her two best competitions (Euro and the Olympics) were when Zhenia was competing with her. Maybe she thought Zhenia would when and she could skate freely. Sigh... I thought she was getting more confident at nebelhorn.

bennorii

On the Ice
Here are some thoughts:

Stanislava's jumps look a lot less labored, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Good on her for a great GP debut. Also, I forgot she's 18! I don't have to worry about her losing her jumps as a result of puberty then I guess...
Kaori is a trooper! In general, I don't understand when people say Kaori's style is less artistic or sloppier than the other JPN ladies. Maybe it's just me, but I find her very flow-y. Need I mention those amazing jumps that cover half the rink?
I think it was here that it was shown that Alina can be beaten if someone else goes clean. That doesn't mean Alina isn't still at the top, because I definitely think she's still there.
It was nice to see Yuna skate clean programs!
The ordinals turned out super messy, but it was overall a very interesting event.

Orlov

Medalist
And actually, it‘s quite logical: Every sport that has a somewhat subjective part of the score - PCS in this case - can easily be manipulated. It‘s always been like that. It‘s humans who are judging after all, not machines.

And therefore, people need to collect in a special organized systems that will systematically repress people’s bias. These are 9 international judges. Different countries, different cultures. Calculate not average, but truncated average score (this is already a strong method of dealing with fluctuating bias). These people are under the scrutiny of the public and are responsible. They are specially trained and certified. Their activities are governed by clear regulations. For them, this is work, even often boring, which also brings perception to another level (they obviously not that type who leave the room when their fav is skating). They have a lot of experience in detailed, close viewing of skaters of little interest to them, which very seriously increases the skills of evaluating elements and skating.

These 9 person are not people here. This is a specially created tool. Yes, human bias, human subjectivity is not completely suppressed in this measuring instrument. So, it's instrument with a certain error. Like all measuring devices. But random cries from the crowd can not be a measuring instrument, at all. This is what I meant when I said - "For me, reality is what the judges decided."

Orlov

Medalist
You have a lot to learn.

By the way, I made a typo I meant May 2017. For a year and a half, I am not too bad guided.

But most important, I'm talking about fundamental issues, but not about any nuances in figure skating.