2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I guess some people are used to corruption and don't care. I guess that's why it continues.

Mistake in judging (characteristic for all humans cognitive systems btw) is not the same as corruption. To make that equal is a paranoid thinking :biggrin:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OMG CellarDwellar your avatar!!

That's +5.00 GOE trolling if ever I saw it! :laugh2:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Like the "mistakes" at SLC Olympics? Lol Ok comrade.

Knowing how medias work, i'm pretty sure thats the story media pushed just to be watched/read. To be fair, nobody confirms it was a 'real' turn of events. Which doesn't mean it cant happen, but i wouldn't believe in stories media create :biggrin:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mika Saarelainen, who was a judge at Finland gp, sometimes is a commentator at Eurosport. He has interesting views. He has said quite often it world be hard to be a judge, and says he is happy to be just commentator because it is so close if the jump id underrotated or not, because they are not at all allowed to see slow motions and time is so limited.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:( There are two reasons why that would never happen. The first is the structure of the ISU as an assembly of national federations. The ISU would essentially have to vote itself out of existence to get rid of nationalism.

The second is figure skating's identification as an Olympic sport. How many medals did my country win -- what else is there?

Blimey guv'nor, here ya' go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G95vcrzAGk

Ah when I saw it on Broadway, if I had to hear "Master ov the 'ouse" one more time I was gonna stand up and start shrieking, IT'S FRANCE! IT'S FRANCE! VIVA LA FRANCE!

rain

Record Breaker
How many of Alina's jumps were under rotated? The lutz/loop were called but the toe loop and second 2A look questionable.

More problematic I thought (very, very late to this party, sorry. Just had a chance to watch the ladies FS), was positive GOE on the painfully flailing, horrible posture, slow as all get out footwork sequence. And then there is the horribly inflated PCS. Zagitova should not be anywhere near the 9s, not when she's bent over at the waist through the entire program. Seriously, does she ever stand up straight? That's bad technique, which the judges are ignoring. She deservedly won this competition, what with so many errors from so many others, but come on. And the choreography is the usual flailing, overly cluttered, pedestrian stuff. Nothing new to see here folks. It's sad because I think Zagitova actually has potential, but she's never going to work on her glaring weaknesses if the judges continue to ignore them.

I liked Konstantinova, though there's a lot to still work on there. Again, positive GOE for that painfully slow footwork? No. But she's clearly expressing something with the music, even though it's not my cup of tea.

Kaori Sakamoto should clearly have won the free program. Great skate, though I don't think the program concept is entirely realized yet. She doesn't quite get the build with the music yet. But here's an example of the unexpected in choreography. The spirals right into the jump, several other beautiful moments as well where it catches you by surprise. So that's two program to The Piano that I like this year, Sakamoto's and Mariah Bell's.

Overall I thought they were VERY generous on the marks for the flying sit spins. I saw several that were middling to awful get positive GOE.

gioccia

On the Ice
Why are people constantly criticising Alina and trying to undermine her strengths and show off her weaknesses? Why is it so hard to just love this sweet young lady who works harder than anyone does in the current senior circuit, who is gifted, humble and so attractive, has the whole package, has the hardest TES content... Who has the same TES, the same contistency and transitions in and out of elements? We all like Asian style of skating but not many of them are consistent or have decent jumps, which they are fairly punished for. If we had a Marin Honda with Alina's TES, transitions and consistency, we could have compared... but we don't have one... I can't say that Alina's skating skills are weaker, she's different and that's all... There's no need to hate her for being different... after all... her skating is far more superiour to that of Bradie or even Zhenya (no insult meant). It's like comparing P.Chan and Hanyu, Chan moving across the ice is a masterpiece, but it's Hanyu or even Nathan I want to watch. Apparently you can't have it all. You Na and Mao also had their issues, people are just harsher on contemporary athletes, they tend to forget how harder the layout of the program has become...

rain

Record Breaker
Why are people constantly criticising Alina and trying to undermine her strengths and show off her weaknesses? Why is it so hard to just love this sweet young lady who works harder than anyone does in the current senior circuit, who is gifted, humble and so attractive, has the whole package, has the hardest TES content... Who has the same TES, the same contistency and transitions in and out of elements? We all like Asian style of skating but not many of them are consistent or have decent jumps, which they are fairly punished for. If we had a Marin Honda with Alina's TES, transitions and consistency, we could have compared... but we don't have one... I can't say that Alina's skating skills are weaker, she's different and that's all... There's no need to hate her for being different... after all... her skating is far more superiour to that of Bradie or even Zhenya (no insult meant). It's like comparing P.Chan and Hanyu, Chan moving across the ice is a masterpiece, but it's Hanyu or even Nathan I want to watch. Apparently you can't have it all. You Na and Mao also had their issues, people are just harsher on contemporary athletes, they tend to forget how harder the layout of the program has become...

I don't think anyone hates Zagitova. But it's more than fair game to point out her flaws, just as you did in your post with other skaters.

I do not find Zagitova particularly enjoyable to watch because of her bad technique, which causes her to be bent at the waist at all times, and her bad choreography, which is frantic, flailing and unoriginal.

The Asian ladies you talk about are fairly penalized for jumping issues. The problem is that Zagitova is not being penalized for her weaknesses, and therefore has no incentive to correct them. She is given marks she has not earned. To me, Zagitova is not the whole package, but she is being marked like she is.

Everyone should be marked for the things they do well, and the things they don't do well, in a consistent manner. That's not happening.

Like you say, she seems to be a very hardworking and dedicated skater, and I have to think that some of her issues are less down to her than to her camp. The undeserved scores are frustrating to watch, yes, but so is the fact that I think Zagitova is a skater with a lot of potential that they're not even attempting to realize or develop.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Why are people constantly criticising Alina and trying to undermine her strengths and show off her weaknesses?

if we don't address the medical aspects, in many cases it's something like trolling.
Most of them go to my ignore list.
Just today I saw a suitable post.

When people talk about skating skills without explaining, I always remember that user on russian forums that was bashing Alina's skating skills. Then, someone made a gif of the feet, and that user went on a whole rant of how terrible the skating skills. Turns out the feet belonged to Kostner.