2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just catching up (internet issues most of today so only caught a few performances live). Congratulations to the well-deserved medalists! Alina’s performance obviously wasn’t her best, but she’s so impressive in how she fights through, and I think her Carmen is coming along nicely. Super happy Kaori got on the podium, there’s a quality about her skating that’s so refreshing and light and delightful, and I love that she doesn’t hide her emotions in the k&c. And finally, I’m so pleased for and proud of Stasya for her performance. I do think she was a bit less emotive than I’ve seen her perform this program previously, but I still enjoyed it and I’m happy she performed it well technically.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This is what is almost impossible to see on computer or tv, because often the screen and voice usually are not at synchro exactly: Alina's every move are planned to music and she does everything very accurately. I am impressed.
I think you see it on the screen as well. Her timing is very good, she is very musical and she did execute this choreography quite well (extensions and posture could be better).
But I know now what I don't like about this Carmen choreography - it's way too literal for my taste. There's no unexpected movement. You think, knowing the music, that next she could do twizzles. Twizzles you get. And it happens again and again and agian. That's not Alina's fault. Her team is trying to showcase her strengths and there is nothing wrong with that of course, but it's just not a very good program because of that, it's only adequate.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
On what basis do you accuse judges of impropriety?

I think, it's a usual "wuzrobbed" talk which happens here after each competition for years. In my opinion no matter how close we study the calls and scores the placements here are absolutely correct. Stasya skated her best ever and was clean may be for the first time in her international career. Yuna's skating is ultimately boring. Kaori is very good but she bombed the short program. Alina was not perfect but she was better than everybody else. No reasons for complaints.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I watched them on 3 different languages. I watched them with British euro commentary with Tat commentary. Tat really has no filter and I hope Panenkova don't get traumatized by her comments. I don't know whether Yuna was held down for Kaoris sake, if the calls are fair it looks like everyone is on their deserved place, one of the commentators had doubts on Konstantinova second Lutz, but I trust to be clear. Congratulations on Stanislava. When she skates without errors she is a joy to watch. Alina made only one mistake and it was scored accordingly, the same with Kaori who had edge call. It's normall Alina to have higher Pcs because the things she does are the most difficult, the program is well done on the music, she has tons of transitions, she has good ss,good steps, she performs it well, always on the music, she is good jumper and good spinner,yes she can be more emotive, but this is subjective, the technique is not. I hope Kaori makes it to the Gpf because she deserves to be among of the best. Really a fighter going from 7th to 3-rd. I also hope Stanislava has grown up and is stronger mentally because this is what stops her, also hope the attention positive and negative don't get too hard for Alina to cope. She came last year as a warrior, hope she survive this one. Next year the competition will be totally different. Japanese and Russian nationals will be heartbreaking.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And therefore, people need to collect in a special organized systems that will systematically repress people’s bias. These are 9 international judges. Different countries, different cultures. Calculate not average, but truncated average score (this is already a strong method of dealing with fluctuating bias). These people are under the scrutiny of the public and are responsible. They are specially trained and certified. Their activities are governed by clear regulations. For them, this is work, even often boring, which also brings perception to another level (they obviously not that type who leave the room when their fav is skating). They have a lot of experience in detailed, close viewing of skaters of little interest to them, which very seriously increases the skills of evaluating elements and skating.

These 9 person are not people here. This is a specially created tool. Yes, human bias, human subjectivity is not completely suppressed in this measuring instrument. So, it's instrument with a certain error. Like all measuring devices. But random cries from the crowd can not be a measuring instrument, at all. This is what I meant when I said - "For me, reality is what the judges decided."

What they really should do is get rid of nationalism. Let each skate compete individually. That would eliminate a whole host of problems with the judging.

It'll never happen but a skating fan can dream, right?

Nika09

On the Ice
Probably unpopular and unexpected even for me myself, opinion: I really like Alina's FP StSq.

And the whole second part of Kaori's FP is beautiful. Especially her last 3Lo, it's always gorgeous. I don't like the beginning of this program though.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just caught up on the ladies!

Kaori was amazing! What a comeback! :biggrin: I wonder if she'll make the GPF?

I like Stasya! Congrats to her! I thought her jumps were quite good honestly, but I can never spot under-rotations. :laugh:

Alina, I enjoy her skating, her FS is definitely less choppy music-wise then the SP! It's good to see she's holding up well against the pressure. :) I don't really feel Carmen in her program, except for the beginning. Her costume is growing on me though, did she always have those red cuffs on the gloves? I noticed them today, nice touch!

Yuna S had a lovely skate! She has such a pretty smile and such fluid skating! It does seem unfair she ended up in fourth :( The British Eurosport guys certainly felt that she deserved more (also Simon or is it Chris? can't count) . It's pretty bad if the judges actually did fudge their numbers because of some backroom deal, I sure hope it's not true. Someone should go undercover in the ISU and get evidence of any sheninigans.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I think you see it on the screen as well. Her timing is very good, she is very musical and she did execute this choreography quite well (extensions and posture could be better).
But I know now what I don't like about this Carmen choreography - it's way too literal for my taste. There's no unexpected movement. You think, knowing the music, that next she could do twizzles. Twizzles you get. And it happens again and again and agian. That's not Alina's fault. Her team is trying to showcase her strengths and there is nothing wrong with that of course, but it's just not a very good program because of that, it's only adequate.

I agree with your assessment. I've also been trying to figure out why I'm not in love with her Carmen FS, and I think there are a couple reasons: the Habenera sequence (which is lovely and my favorite part) is in the very beginning, and the rest of the program feels a bit one-noted to me. Most Carmen programs place the Habenera sequence in the middle as it provides a nice contrast to the the faster paced, high tension music. I also think Zagitova is not used to performing show stopping footwork sequences, like some of the other skaters (who jump first, then save their footwork sequence for last). She can probably improve on this, and just make her footwork sequence more dynamic and crisp. If she could channel Daisuke Takahashi skating the footwork sequence, then she'd be perfect.

All in all, these are very minor issues. Overall, she has both a great SP and FS that showcase her strengths. But, I do hope she works with other choreographers in the future. I actually think Averbukh would be a great choice as he seems to be very skilled at highlighting a skater's strengths in the program. Contrary to popular belief, he is not all about miming and esoteric themes. That was just what he chose for Evgenia and it sure worked well for her. For Lena Radionova, he did much more dynamic programs that emphasized Elena's dancing ability, such as the tango to JLo (SP) as well as her Frida FS (from her final junior season) which are probably my favorite programs for her.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
this competition was wild, seriously! :biggrin: i'm usually able to predict singles but this season is surprising me event after event

congratulations to all the medalists! sakamoto had a great comeback, zagitova wasn’t perfect but she didn’t give up on nerves and got the job done. now that i could watch her fs in a good quality i have to admit i like it. kostantinova surprised me with probably the best skate of her career. a special shout out to hendrickx, she’s a powerfull energetic skater, I find this kind of program suits her better than the sp. She won’t be in the finals but I wish her a podium finish at Europeans.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Just caught up on the ladies!

Kaori was amazing! What a comeback! [emoji3] I wonder if she'll make the GPF?

I like Stasya! Congrats to her! I thought her jumps were quite good honestly, but I can never spot under-rotations. [emoji23]

Alina, I enjoy her skating, her FS is definitely less choppy music-wise then the SP! It's good to see she's holding up well against the pressure. :) I don't really feel Carmen in her program, except for the beginning. Her costume is growing on me though, did she always have those red cuffs on the gloves? I noticed them today, nice touch!

Yuna S had a lovely skate! She has such a pretty smile and such fluid skating! It does seem unfair she ended up in fourth :( The British Eurosport guys certainly felt that she deserved more (also Simon or is it Chris? can't count) . It's pretty bad if the judges actually did fudge their numbers because of some backroom deal, I sure hope it's not true. Someone should go undercover in the ISU and get evidence of any sheninigans.
There have been books written about it by former officials. It's common knowledge how corrupt skating is. After the SLC scandal instead of getting rid of the corruption and rotten people they just changed the system to make the cheating harder to prove. Its rotten from the top down. Unfortunately skating is such a fringe sport in so many countries not enough people really care to get anything really done about it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
^^^
I'm pretty sure 'corrupt skating' is only in the minds of cold war fellas and Yuna's die hard fans. Common figure skating fans i know don't even think in that way and they are fine with it (that judges sometimes just make mistakes, like in every other sport).

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Les Miz always just cracks me up. When I saw it I said to my sister, Why are all the poor people singing with a Cockney accent? Aren't they in France? Did the touring company of Oliver wander in and figured, what the hell, we're in, start singing.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

melgirl25

Medalist
How many of Alina's jumps were under rotated? The lutz/loop were called but the toe loop and second 2A look questionable.

Joekaz

On the Ice
^^^
I'm pretty sure 'corrupt skating' is only in the minds of cold war fellas and Yuna's die hard fans. Common figure skating fans i know don't even think in that way and they are fine with it (that judges sometimes just make mistakes, like in every other sport).
I guess some people are used to corruption and don't care. I guess that's why it continues.

What they really should do is get rid of nationalism. Let each skate compete individually. That would eliminate a whole host of problems with the judging.

It'll never happen but a skating fan can dream, right?

:( There are two reasons why that would never happen. The first is the structure of the ISU as an assembly of national federations. The ISU would essentially have to vote itself out of existence to get rid of nationalism.

The second is figure skating's identification as an Olympic sport. How many medals did my country win -- what else is there?

Weak Ankles said:
Les Miz always just cracks me up. When I saw it I said to my sister, Why are all the poor people singing with a Cockney accent? Aren't they in France? Did the touring company of Oliver wander in and figured, what the hell, we're in, start singing.

Blimey guv'nor, here ya' go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G95vcrzAGk

Last edited: