2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The U-17 cup final was good, Claudia Pina will be quite the player!

From what I've seen of the tournament so far, she already is!

Although Eva Navarro has also caught my eye (although, to be fair, she has been on my radar for a while)

Hey, look at us talking football in a figure skating competition thread! :laugh: (At least it's a Ladies thread ;) :biggrin: )

Right, I'll do the ESP Player stuff first, and the Juniors later on in the day.

CaroLiza_fan

melgirl25

Medalist
I still really enjoy Satoko's performance a lot. She is just a beauty. Rika's music makes me feel like I am floating on a cloud. Did you hear her giggle right at the end of the event going inside on NBC Sports Gold stream? She sounded sweet but more, like I'm coming to getcha!

I think Alina has a cold. She seemed a little like a deer in headlights too.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Watched Liza T, and while her jumps are huuuge (Empress of the Lutz there) and I love her sass, I still believe the bronze position should be Sakamoto Kaori's. Off to watch Sofia Samodurova.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Placements are fair except for Kaori's. I would have had her in third as Liza's program is just not that good and K's jumps were more solid. The FS is going to be suspenseful. Overall I think this was a really good showing for the women. I feel bad for Satoko though. We all know she's much better than this!!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He appears to be drinking too much caffeine every time he choreographs.

Too true. Although the Junior skaters seem able to deal with it better...

He seems like a nice chap and I guess the choreo gets the marks, I just prefer a different kind of skating!

rei00

Rinkside
My thoughts:
1. Rika was overscored on PCS.
2. Kaori Sakamoto was underscored.
3. Satoko somehow has a lower PCS than Rika. It doesn’t make sense. (Sorry Rika).
4. Alina was underscored as well. I had that program at about 79-80.
5. The judges hugely favored Rika Kihira today.
6. The free skate is gonna be a cracker!

When I saw Rika's PCS, I thought - "if they gave THAT to her, what will they give for Satoko and Alina? Probably not much more than that". I was right.

twirlingblades

Medalist
She easily can win bronze still people don't panic. But yes she has be dumped? bumped? passed by Rika. Satoko though is the solid lady in Japan. Last year Kaori looked to be the shooting star. The Wakababy but Satoko was there. After some stutter starts the judges have announced their love of Rika - look at her pcs they rose faster than anything.

I would feel most sorry for Liza. She probably won't medal after fighting so hard to get back. But these ladies are fierce. Good for Alina for not totally giving up. But I am surprised Rika got such amazing pcs and even tes - because didn't she miss a level or two on spins?

Rika got one level 2 on a spin, but everything else was level 4.

neusw

On the Ice
When I saw Rika's PCS, I thought - "if they gave THAT to her, what will they give for Satoko and Alina? Probably not much more than that". I was right.

PCS has really just become a substitute for flavor of the season. Next year Sasha's PCS will shoot up to 36/72 and Alena's 38/76 as soon as they win a couple GP events. Unfortunately it's how judges have decided to use this system.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Placements are fair except for Kaori's. I would have had her in third as Liza's program is just not that good and K's jumps were more solid. The FS is going to be suspenseful. Overall I think this was a really good showing for the women. I feel bad for Satoko though. We all know she's much better than this!!

I totally agree!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alina has been overscored the entire season. Other than her TR deserving 9's, her other components are not that great. Hunched posture is not a sign of good SS. Her CO mark with that SP of incoherent music cuts and purpose should be max. 7's and IN shouldn't be that much higher. Moves are rushed and unfinished. The 36-37 she has received this season are quite inflated.

I wouldn't even begin to say Rika was overscored in PCS considering this.

rei00

Rinkside
Clean Rika getting PCS equal or more than Satoko and Satoko losing them in case of mistake was expected. Still painful to watch... especially when recalling a certain someone getting sky high pcs after disastrous sp.
No pcs cushion for Satoko.

Danny T

Medalist
Aaaaaaaaa, super duper stoked for both Rika and Kaori. The short hasn't exactly been their best moments this season, I'm so glad they got it together here at the Final :yahoo:

Relative to Satoko, sure, I'd say Rika's PCS is a bit high. Even tentative Satoko should have a slight edge over Rika, triple axel and all.

But saying Rika is overscored and Alina is underscored? :rofl: You must have had whatever Daniil G. had when he put together those music cuts. Do send us some :biggrin:

twirlingblades

Medalist
Alina has been overscored the entire season. Other than her TR deserving 9's, her other components are not that great. Hunched posture is not a sign of good SS. Her CO mark with that SP of incoherent music cuts and purpose should be max. 7's and IN shouldn't be that much higher. Moves are rushed and unfinished. The 36-37 she has received this season are quite inflated.

Agreed. If anything, Alina’s jumps being shaky might lead to her PCS falling back to earth.

I like Alina a lot, but her hunched over-ness kills me. I want to glue a hockey stick to her back. It makes her skating look labored.

Rika was hands down the best today, no questions.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
But shouldn't PCS also be judged on the day? I don't know if I believe Satoko should always have the highest PCS if her performance was below her usual standard.

Plisskin

Medalist

THANK YOU. After that beautiful SS and her interpretation today I can't believe anyone could say her PCS is "overscored". It's crazy.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Mishin just does not have enough pupils to kick out. If you have only one or two elite skaters, you'd better "develop" them. But don't forget Liza 2.0 was not doing so well and left him.
Yes, you have a point, but one thing you can say about Mishin: his skaters tend to have careers that last longer than your typical Pact with the Devil. Just saying.

badknees

Medalist
There are no Russian coaches specializing in teaching strong skating skills except Turenko and Panova, who do not have much political power, so there are really no good options.

Is Alexei Urmanov still coaching?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just realised that we have a Hyōgo - Udmurtia Top 4! :jaw:

1. Rika Kihira - Nishinomiya, Hyōgo
  2. Alina Zagitova - Izhevsk, Udmurtia
  3. Liza Tuktamysheva - Glazov, Udmurtia
  4. Kaori Sakamoto - Kōbe, Hyōgo

What an achievement for these two areas!!! :bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Will the outsiders manage to infiltrate tomorrow?

CaroLiza_fan

freeman21

On the Ice
PCS has really just become a substitute for flavor of the season

Most underrated comment I've read in a while.

It's not even about reputation as initially thought, it's actually about "who's trending this season"... wait a minute, is PCS actually a social media/hype rating? :think::unsure:

rei00

Rinkside
PCS has really just become a substitute for flavor of the season. Next year Sasha's PCS will shoot up to 36/72 and Alena's 38/76 as soon as they win a couple GP events. Unfortunately it's how judges have decided to use this system.

I think it's more like the last 4-5 years, just slowly getting worse