2018 JGP Canada: ISU Info | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Canada: ISU Info

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Excited that Miku and Tyler not only get a JGP, they make their debut on home ice. Those two improve at such a pace that I could see them making a bid for the national junior title once Marjorie and Zach have moved on.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I believe in my Anya and Nastya to carry through and take a 1-2 sweep!
although RusFed needs to start listing all the girls as subs, now they couldn't sub Sasha here if they wanted to

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Excited that Miku and Tyler not only get a JGP, they make their debut on home ice. Those two improve at such a pace that I could see them making a bid for the national junior title once Marjorie and Zach have moved on.

Yes, so much potential! There's a chance they can podium behind Lajoie/Lagha and Konkina/Vakhnov.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, so much potential! There's a chance they can podium behind Lajoie/Lagha and Konkina/Vakhnov.

Anything can happen---the GREENS were newbies last season and won two bronze medals. But:

MAKITA / GUNARA finished behind D'ALESSANDRO / WADDELL at Minto and behind GUNTER / WEIN at Lake Placid.

JGP SVK bronze winners GROPMAN / SOMERVILLE scored 10 points higher than what M/G scored at Minto.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Anything can happen---the GREENS were newbies last season and won two bronze medals. But:

MAKITA / GUNARA finished behind D'ALESSANDRO / WADDELL at Minto and behind GUNTER / WEIN at Lake Placid.

JGP SVK bronze winners GROPMAN / SOMERVILLE scored 10 points higher than what M/G scored at Minto.

you are correct Chuck... At the time BillNeal posted his enthusiasm for M/G though, Bruce and Nathalie were not supposed to be at JGP Canada... they were added in after Corey Circelli's injury. So yeah... at this point, it would tough for M/G to make the podium but gosh, they are exciting to watch... Their twizzles in particular are so sharp and fast...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is one HUGE problem with this competition. It directly conflicts with the US FS Classic Challenge in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake is in Mountain Time, but unfortunately, most if not all the events occur at the same time as the JGP event in Canada.

On Thursday, the JGP Ladies SP is OK. SLC Pairs SP overlaps the start of the JGP Dance RD. But the two Men's SPs completely overlap.
On Friday, the JGP Pairs SP overlaps the start of the SLC Dance RD. The JGP Ladies FS completely overlaps the SLC Ladies SP and Pairs FS. The JGP FD overlaps the SLC Men FS.
On Saturday, the JGP Men FS is OK. The JGP Pairs FS overlaps the SLC FD. The SLC Ladies FS is OK.

I can try to watch both, with the risk of becoming schizophrenic. The US Classic is on NBC Sports Gold while the JGP event is on YouTube. I can put one on Google and the other on Firefox with the scores on IE. Of course, I will have to turn the sound off on one....

Lombardia also happens in the same time schedule, but as it is in Europe, the competition happens pretty much in the morning, so no conflict.
There is also a Junior-Novice US event which is scheduled right before the Senior US Classic, but that is mostly noon-4 pm, so again no conflict.
But a very busy week nonetheless.......

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There is one HUGE problem with this competition. It directly conflicts with the US FS Classic Challenge in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake is in Mountain Time, but unfortunately, most if not all the events occur at the same time as the JGP event in Canada.

On Thursday, the JGP Ladies SP is OK. SLC Pairs SP overlaps the start of the JGP Dance RD. But the two Men's SPs completely overlap.
On Friday, the JGP Pairs SP overlaps the start of the SLC Dance RD. The JGP Ladies FS completely overlaps the SLC Ladies SP and Pairs FS. The JGP FD overlaps the SLC Men FS.
On Saturday, the JGP Men FS is OK. The JGP Pairs FS overlaps the SLC FD. The SLC Ladies FS is OK.

I can try to watch both, with the risk of becoming schizophrenic. The US Classic is on NBC Sports Gold while the JGP event is on YouTube. I can put one on Google and the other on Firefox with the scores on IE. Of course, I will have to turn the sound off on one....

Lombardia also happens in the same time schedule, but as it is in Europe, the competition happens pretty much in the morning, so no conflict.
There is also a Junior-Novice US event which is scheduled right before the Senior US Classic, but that is mostly noon-4 pm, so again no conflict.
But a very busy week nonetheless.......

LOL.. my main issue is that work conflicts with the competition ;) lol... glad to see you are only worried about events being held at the same time ;)

we certainly cannot blame the organizers for the time schedule... they are stepping in for china when nobody else wanted to... if it had been in china, i would have been able to watch it live.. damn it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm in the Atlantic time zone, so this is by far the most conveniently-scheduled event in the JGP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL.. my main issue is that work conflicts with the competition ;) lol... glad to see you are only worried about events being held at the same time ;)

we certainly cannot blame the organizers for the time schedule... they are stepping in for china when nobody else wanted to... if it had been in china, i would have been able to watch it live.. damn it.

If it had been in China, no way I could watch it live--can't deal with middle of the night for GP events, so forget about JGP. Last year I could catch the GPs on Olympic Network reruns during the day. Don't know yet how NBCgold will work re replays.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

A legitimate battle worth watching. Makita & Gunara and D'Alessandro & Waddell split results in the RD and FD at Minto, and M&G and Gunter & Wein split results at Lake Placid. (Both teams left points on the table at Lake Placid. M&G mucked up the twizzles in the RD and G&W had a mistake in the free). Also, the score we have on Ivanenko & Karpov is an old one, from a JGP two years ago (in which they outscored G&W). I&K's scores will likely leap up when they get one for this season just like the other teams' scores have. (Provided Russia leaves I&K in the lineup).

Having said all of that, I think the favorites for the medal race are probably Lajoie & Lagha, Gropman & Somerville, and Konkina & Vakhnov. Those are your teams composed of athletes that currently hold JGP medals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree with Ice Dance's assessment. And be wary of Russian #2 out of the gate.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Awww no, why Canada? This ladies short is on at a hideous hour for me 3am! If I want to see Anastasia Tarakanova (and Coachshenko) I better pray unlike other Russian ladies she draws the last group!

The men's event is on at a good time for me though, fortunately I don't have work on Fridays.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
What a weird thing...While the JGP was in Europe I struggled with the roughly 7 h time difference, now that JPG comes to Canada, I leave for Europe in a few of hours, so I end up with 10 hours difference, even worse than before, as Vancouver is 3 hours away form Toronto, LOL.
Going back to skaters, I wish everyone a lot of good luck! I really hoped Aurora Cotop would have skated this time. Maybe she does not feel ready, or I really don't know the reason behind it.
Good luck Gogo and everybody else!