2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
Trusova was really awe-inspiring with her technical ability.
But as impressive as Trusova was, I had the feeling that she did not skate to the music at all - she was doing a lot and obviously technically well, but I had the feeling that she could have skated to almost every other lively piece of music.

Am I the only one who has a gripe with how judges give points for PCS (in general, not just for a single skater)?
Skaters always seem to get about the same PCS score in all of the categories, but isn’t it possible a skater has great transitions but a bad interpretation or choreography? Wish they’d differentiate more and reward a skaters real strength instead of giving those homogenic scores where it looks like they say oh, she’s a six, so I’ll give her marks ranging from 6.1 to 6.4 in all categories.

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
But as impressive as Trusova was, I had the feeling that she did not skate to the music at all - she was doing a lot and obviously technically well, but I had the feeling that she could have skated to almost every other lively piece of music.

Am I the only one who has a gripe with how judges give points for PCS (in general, not just for a single skater)?
Skaters always seem to get about the same PCS score in all of the categories, but isn’t it possible a skater has great transitions but a bad interpretation or choreography? Wish they’d differentiate more and reward a skaters real strength instead of giving those homogenic scores where it looks like they say oh, she’s a six, so I’ll give her marks ranging from 6.1 to 6.4 in all categories.

THIS! I've oftentimes wondered why someone with great skating skills and difficult transitions gets scored the same high points for interpretation and choreography (even though they are supposed to be separate elements to judge altogether), and someone with lower technicality in transitions but awesome interpretation and smart choreography still gets the same range scores than their skating skills and transitions. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I've seen skaters display musicality, actual dancing and very mature interpretation, with well-built and inventive choreographies that are just plain entertaining and high quality, but still got scores in the lower range for performance.
And the other way around - insanely good technique and difficulty in transitions for miles, but not that good performance or choreography.

Choreography ≠ technical contents, right? This is the only thing I miss in the old 6.0 system, where tech and art were separate (though still flawed even with that system).

kresslia

Medalist
I didn't feel much from Trusova on the artistic side of things, but landing TWO quads like that is just absolutely remarkable... I feel privileged to have watched that skate.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think Trusova is the youngest junior world champion ever? She definitely is the youngest junior world champion with the current age limits in place.

I didn't feel much from Trusova on the artistic side of things, but landing TWO quads like that is just absolutely remarkable... I feel privileged to have watched that skate.
And not just the quads - Her triple jump content alone was significantly more difficult than anything anyone else did here.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

That's because that program was designed for different layout. With 2 quads everything is rushed and behind the music

Shayuki

Record Breaker
That's because that program was designed for different layout. With 2 quads everything is rushed and behind the music
Yep, it was designed for 1 quad for which it fit amazingly well. The music doesn't work nearly as well for the beginning with the 2 quads. It starts working again after the step sequence. I think it's a reasonable price to pay.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Sasha's abilities are insane and won desevedly, but Alyona's performance is just magic, like a princess or fairy from some beautiful story.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
The same thing with GOE. It's almost impossible to get +3 if you are in first warm-ups. Even if it's great spin or lift you'll get +2 at most, but it's difficult not to get +2 for everything when you are in last warm-ups and perform without noticeable mistakes.

moriel

Record Breaker
Men get an additional jumping pass in comparison to ladies... But even so, using just 2.00 PCS factor instead of 1.60 PCS factor, Sasha would have scored 92.36+76.43 for a total of 168.79 and she also would have won the Men's competition by a landslide. That's with one jumping pass less. Well, I guess with that one jumping pass she adds a second 2A for around 4.5 points with backloading and some GOE, so that'd be over 173 points.

Btw, with men's PCs factoring and the score of 168.79, Sasha would be #13 in FS at the Olympics among men, beating Aliev by a few decimals.

Imho, its fair to compare ladies to men. On one hand, you can compare a guy to a girl (This is not a gender thing, this is "with one extra jumping pass and automatically higher PCs, this skater still scored less than this other skater, this means the performance was pretty meh). On the other hand, you can compare a girl to a guy (again, not a gender thing, but the skater manages to score more with one less jumping pass and lower PCs, that was a very good skate).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Btw, with men's PCs factoring and the score of 168.79, Sasha would be #13 in FS at the Olympics among men, beating Aliev by a few decimals.

Imho, its fair to compare ladies to men. On one hand, you can compare a guy to a girl (This is not a gender thing, this is "with one extra jumping pass and automatically higher PCs, this skater still scored less than this other skater, this means the performance was pretty meh). On the other hand, you can compare a girl to a guy (again, not a gender thing, but the skater manages to score more with one less jumping pass and lower PCs, that was a very good skate).

I disagree, although you have made this argument before, and I appreciate what you are saying. And here in the ladies’ forum, maybe there is a point, maybe....:scratch2: But it would make far more sense to compare junior to senior ladies, than to *any* kind of man.

And when it happens in a *mens* comp thread, it appears that it is there only for the purpose of “shaming” the men. That I believe it is sexist. What else could it be?:slink:

But if the usual, boring, sexist woman’s slay count claptrap appears in the *men’s* comp thread, I already have my response planned out:dance3: To overcome the boredom:yawn: of having to scroll past a useless women’s slay count in a men’s thread.....

randomfan

Record Breaker
Trusova: SHE LANDED 2 QUADS AND 7 TRIPLES...92 TES WITHOUT A CHOREO SEQUENCE SPEAKS FOR ITSELF...I HAVE NO WORDS :jaw:

Kostornaia: Sad to see that lately she’s having problems with both the lutz edge and landing it. But I do think that this program has somewhat improved. I’m really excited for what she’ll be showing is next season (there’s really amost nothing else she needs to improve!).

Yamashita: I’ve always been keeping an eye out for Mako ever since she appeared on JGP Yokohama. She’s just a simple delight to watch, with gorgeous jumps, lovely presentation, and consistency. Hopefully this achievement can help her go onto the judges’ radar.

Haven’t watched the others yet. But I’m devastated that South Korea didn’t gain the third spot by a MERE ONE POINT! :cry:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Trusova's free skate score was 153.49, which topped Evgenia's world record. With two quads in the free program, she is technically as good as Hanyu's free skate at Sochi four years ago, which also included two quad jumps.

Tara Lipinski: Quads aren’t just for the men anymore. Ladies Figure Skating is about to start their own quad revolution. History made today. Alexandra Trusova became the first to land 2 quads in women’s competition....at 13!

https://twitter.com/taralipinski/status/972546707048210432

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If quads become the next required thing in ladies' skating, I'm scared what it might do to some athletes. Already figure skating is a sport where injuries are frequent and oftentimes take a skater out for an entire season. Sometimes injuries even end careers.

Practising for quad jump will definitely bring about even more injuries, and I don't like to see children get hurt.

Who does? But children can get hurt at parks, like how I broke my arm, and that was a complete accident. I don't think children are any more likely to get hurt doing sports. It could happen anywhere.

moriel

Record Breaker
Who does? But children can get hurt at parks, like how I broke my arm, and that was a complete accident. I don't think children are any more likely to get hurt doing sports. It could happen anywhere.

Also, its not like men start doing quads only when they are 18+.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

As MUCH i love and cheer for Alena, after Sasha's program i was like this: :shocked: :eek: :giveup:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Didn't watch this event but had to check out Trusova's skate after seeing that eye-popping 92+ TES from the ISU results page! So what if the artistic side needs work? A huge accomplishment in pushing the technical side forward. To think that we went from mainly seeing women doing 2A-3T and 3T-3T as the difficult jumps in Vancouver OG to 4S and 4T in the FS at JWC eight year later! Alina and Evgenia better watch out!

Also, once women's PCS factor is equivalent to men's, we may be seeing some similar scores in the not too distant future...

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Were you really unable to figure out that Alena had a very good skate without comparing her to Aliev? I think that behind a comparison like that is really an intent to find the guy weaker than a 13 year old girl. Because if you had chosen to compare her FS here to Javi’s at Euros, for example, where he scored 191.73 with 2 quads and a 3F<<, you’d get quite a different picture.

Kara

Final Flight
Ho snap @ Trusova. Youngest competitor and she does THAT. Simply amazing and who cares about if she can keep it up as she grows, what she did yesterday was legendary!

Rika - I'm emo
YY - emo
Yuhana - Glad she proved people wrong!! Happy for her
Eunsoo - Ahh my precious Eunsoo.<3 Eunsoo and jumping close to the boards, name a more iconic duo.

Korea ladies only 2 spots for next year - Im emo.