2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And this is where it's tough to take.

The Olympics are supposed to be the pinnacle of a skater's career. Yet it's only ONE competition every four years, it's litterally like you have to peak 4 Continents.

I genuienely think that if you add the last jumping pass to the Juniors + 30 seconds, Sasha would have won this year. And with that + PCS superiority of Alena K, she could have genuienely been second (with 78+ PCS).

Basically your Olympic win will depend if you show up at the right time. That's why Zhenya did not win this year despite her dominance for 2 seasons. That's why, I'll be following those 2 girls hoping they can stay healthy until 2022, or if they'll get passed over. That's why Zhenya might never get an Olympic Gold as heartbreaking as it sounds. It's "almost" unfair, yet it's still the right results.

Ugh.....this is where it pains me......

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Kostornaya got a perfect score for the first spin and almost perfect one for the step sequence. This is just right.

Not only that but it was an unanimous +3 among the judges! Most times those max GOEs still have one judge holding back but not with her combo spin today. :love:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Ugh.....this is where it pains me......

Maybe this is where we should not necessarily take (as figure skating fans) the Olympic/media craze road. It's ONE competition, it does not define your whole career, most likely what will follow you career. It's time to start valuing Worlds a lot more.

For us Europeans, the Euro championship is massive and has so much impact. I feel like 4CC is not. Some skaters win it and skip it. It needs to change.

rmsxvi

Rinkside
If Sasha was able to qualify for the Winter Olympics she WOULDVE SLAYED ALINA AND EVGENIA. Ngl i love Alina so much but dang girl Sasha got talent.

Grin

Medalist
And please don't be harsh on judges who showered Sasha with candies.
After 2 clean quads from her they were like :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
had to take a break from watching and finally caught up with everything

WOW Trusova is a beast on the ice and a cutie at K&C, well all these skaters are actually, love seeing how well mannered they are, after seeing those monstrous jumps her 2 final spins looked very underwheling but i am just being picky :biggrin:

apart from her flip technique and 3Lz error really like Alena, esp love her spins

not a fan of Mako's skating but her jumps are great (spins not so much :slink:). congratulations for a medal!

i am happiest for Yuhana!!!! she proved everyone wrong and that JSF was right to send her (if it was me i would have sent her too, Nana may have a pure toe pick technique but her other jumps wouldnt get the same level of GOE and she is still lacking as performer, there i said it:slink: ), she was just fantastic and hardest combos as final 2 elements?? what a boss!! her flow in/out of the jumps is amazing

well done Eunsoo!!! but why she is so close to boards every time?!?!?! :palmf:

its too funny how Ting managed to perfectly apply new rule change to her lo3S combo, i wonder if she did it knowingly :laugh: her GOE potential is very comptetive, love the flow

for the rest, i dont want to talk about it :cry:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I guess I don't see why the message needs to be that they should be ashamed. I don't see why there should be an implicit shame in being beaten by a girl... in fact I don't think Jason or Adam would feel any shame in it being outscored by a female with two quads.

Comparing her score to the guys as a scale of reference to me can be done... and should be done, in neutral way. Many of us like math and number here and I think we can look at things like this without degrading anyone. At least I would hope we can!

I guess it just matters how things are done. If it is for numbers it is fine if it is to disparage it is wrong.

Given how many people have unfavorably dissed Jason’s TES for being “lower than a girl’s” and criticized his lack of quads, I highly doubt the comment was made with neutral intent.

An easy way to put Trusova’s achievement into perspective is that her TES was nearly 11 points higher than Zagitova’s was when she took gold at the Olympics with a fully backloaded program.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
BTW, congrats to Mako for skating so well after Sasha. Great nerves and very deserved bronze!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Trusova was just sensational. WOW. I'm just going to enjoy the history that was made without worrying about 2022 or even 2019. As for comparing her scores to the men, I think it is highly appropriate to compare her scores to the men. This isn't even close to comparing Serena Williams to men tennis players. Skating gives you points for individual elements, so a 4sal for a woman is worth the same as a 4sal for the men. Does anyone understand what I mean?

Congrats Sasha! (Also can anyone post a pic with her hair down? I'm intrigued to see just how long it is!!!)

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Don't be so envious, it smells bad.

I'm not a skater to be envious.

It's a general problem with GOE. Your name and federation plays the main part in it, and not the quality. Alexandra is obviously not the best spinner. Not bad, but today we saw spins better then hers. But she got better scores. She would win anyway, so why so many +3 marks?

All girls worked very hard and they deserved fair scores for every element.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Trusova was just sensational. WOW. I'm just going to enjoy the history that was made without worrying about 2022 or even 2019. As for comparing her scores to the men, I think it is highly appropriate to compare her scores to the men. This isn't even close to comparing Serena Williams to men tennis players. Skating gives you points for individual elements, so a 4sal for a woman is worth the same as a 4sal for the men. Does anyone understand what I mean?

Congrats Sasha! (Also can anyone post a pic with her hair down? I'm intrigued to see just how long it is!!!)

Exactly. The point values, at least for TES, are gender neutral. So Sasha is just a high performing technical skater. It’s simple as that. She’s turning in better technical content then all but a handful of skaters, who all happen to be male. But it’s amazing regardless of whether you compare her to the men or not.

If I was Erakhov (who trains with Trusova) or any other man, I want them to come away with the idea that hey that skater is amazing! I need to work on my quads!” Not that “I need to work on my quads cause this girl did it!

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Men get an additional jumping pass in comparison to ladies... But even so, using just 2.00 PCS factor instead of 1.60 PCS factor, Sasha would have scored 92.36+76.43 for a total of 168.79 and she also would have won the Men's competition by a landslide. That's with one jumping pass less. Well, I guess with that one jumping pass she adds a second 2A for around 4.5 points with backloading and some GOE, so that'd be over 173 points.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Also if i'm not mistaken that was only the second element with negative GOE by Kostornaya in the entire season.