2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies Free Skate

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I LOVED Alina as Carmen! She was wonderful honestly. Sure I would leave out some of the nonsense movements but she sold it very well. And her jumps were very solid. With so much pressure on her young shoulders - she lived up to the expectations today.
Also I think she really enjoys the Carmen music [emoji846]

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very generous scores for Alina...we will see if she will get as much love when she goes up against Med and Kostner...

I think she will-- or more. Last year, her PCS inflated so much over the season that she became unbeatable as long as she completed her technical elements. The same thing is likely to happen this year.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
What's going on with these belly flop falls from Brooklee? She did the same at Autumn Classic. She's going to give me a heart attack! :(

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think she will-- or more. Last year, her PCS inflated so much over the season that she became unbeatable as long as she completed her technical elements. The same thing is likely to happen this year.

Which would be sad because her SS and IN is no where close to Kostner’s. Just because she has harder transitions and higher BV doesn’t mean she should get inflated scores in other components. When Kostner’s jumps are on, they really should get +4 and +5 especially her textbook Lz and F.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Mariah Bell is skating to Laurine's music. Good taste! I like her new programs. More mature. I have the feeling that she'll pull it together this season. Fingers crossed.

But can we please get in touch with Mariah's costumer? She always wears orange-tinted tights. The don't suit her complexion at all. It's really a big misstep in my opinion and detracts from the overall look of the performance.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
They are not cheap at Nebelhorn: Alina got the Trophy, another sculpture thingie, flowers, a medal and a certificate.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Good on Zagi for coming out so strong this season! The programs aren't really clicking for me yet, but I think that's because it's still early. I think I felt the same way about her programs last year at the Challengers. Both of the costumes are a miss for me, though.

Zora

On the Ice
Alina, wow! The complete package. I prefer her new programs a lot to her old programs. Not everyone who didn't like the backloading was a hater btw. :biggrin: Her new programs are very well balanced.

Loena also looks very promising, hopefully she can fight for a few podium places this season.

Mai was solid, but her programs aren't my cup of tea.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that Mai Mihara is reprising her FS from last season. It's a breathtaking program which suits her so well. It's so moving, the emotion with which she skates it. I always feel my heart skipping a beat.

katymay

Medalist
Really impressive technical display from Zagitova, especially when you consider how off she looked during her LP test skate. I think she's more than capable of holding her positions longer, but the program would have to be choreographed in a way that allowed her to do so.

Especially when you see that she has undergone a rapid and rather dramatic puberty. And yet, in some ways she seems even more powerful than she used to be. The only thing, in addition to holding her positions longer, is now she tends to stoop and drop her posture a bit, perhaps as an adjustment to a new size, etc. In places she also seemed to be chasing the music.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Honda: she performed well, lovely lines, an improvement from yesterday . lovely hanfu inspired dress, consistent with the theme.

Zagitova:…she’s a remarkable girl, a champion with champion jumps, but the program overall looks somehow plain. I like the music cut and the sequence, It isn’t just the same old Carmen everybody skate on to.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Really impressive technical display from Zagitova, especially when you consider how off she looked during her LP test skate. I think she's more than capable of holding her positions longer, but the program would have to be choreographed in a way that allowed her to do so.

Yes, both programs are choreographed to be frantic. They are asking to be skated in a constant motion, not in a lyrical way, with long lines and positions. Why some people think the lyrical way of skating is the only right way, i will never understand :shrug: And if we want to stick to the concept, both stories (Phantom, Carmen) are about madness, loss, and death of love. If you want to portray exact character/story you should be skate it exactly in a that (frantic,chaotic,non lirical) way!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Nah, judges score for the crazy transitions, difficult entries and exits into everything and so on.
Bacloading and tanos have a psychological effect on fans (and non fans) who tend to believe that those are the only reason a skater wins.

Yes, I guess that too. Sometimes it doesn't really matter if the transitions convey the concept of the program or if they are that well executed, they are there and they are many so let's tick off the PCS box.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Seems like people here are quite divided about Alina's program and performance!

I thought technically she did really well, but there is room for improvement artistically. I actually think she's a very expressive skater with her body and movements, but she could give more face. Evgenia and Elena R come to mind as skaters who can give OTT face, and sometimes get criticized a bunch for it. Alina did really well with Don Quixote once she got comfortable, so I have no doubt when she is more comfortable with Carmen, she will give us the OTT Carmen drama face that it needs ;).

Overall, what a wonderful competition for the top ladies. So proud of everyone, and especially ecstatic for Alina, who people were writing off just a couple weeks ago at test skates. She has grown a lot, and to look so strong in the beginning of the season is already a huge accomplishment. I am hoping and expecting her to just get better and stronger as the season progresses.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
As opposed to Honda, who, while a lovely lovely skater, is never going to be able to jump. There just isn't any leg strength there.

That’s a very bold statement. And coming from who?
I remember Raf saying he doesn’t get skaters who he doesn’t believe in. If he is working with Marin it means he believes he can do something for her. And that something can only be technical stuff because artistically she is just a natural talent, her skating is simply beautiful. I would wait a few seasons to start saying she will never be able to jump because her legs are weak. [emoji23]

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I actually liked Alina’s FS better this time. I already considered it the better program and this performance only made me think that more. For starters, the music cuts are much, much better. I mentioned before that the cuts used are similar to VM’s iconic Carmen.
The choreography has some nice moments, although that inabaeur is begging for the love of god to be held longer!!! That could be a huge moment in the program but it’s just “oh, it’s already gone”!
I like the beginning of the program and the ending. That mid part is just too... badly choreographed. The stsq looked rushed and her edges are still shallow. She could really use some “back to basics” time.
Her triple flip is gorgeous!!!! Her jumps overall are looking so good!!! I loved her combos! And so gutsy from her to go for those difficult combinations! She’s really going for that basevalue! I can’t see anybody surpassing her on that, maybe only a clean Rika Kihira but she can’t come close to Alina’s GOE.
From this event I can only believe Alina will keep reigning and I really hope she gets her World title this time!
I have to say, she looks much more mature and her Carmen was very convincing. As I used to say about Evgenia(and it came true, surprisingly), I just wish she would work with another choreographer at some point in time! [emoji120]
Oh, and she looks so tall!!!! She is really beautiful and I think the extra inches gave her more presence on the ice.
Really amazing performances from Alina! Congrats!!! [emoji122]

athenaqn

Spectator
Thoughts on Alina...

I like the FS much, much better than the SP. No weird shattered glass sound and also smoother music transitions.
I'm very happy that she was clean today especially after the test skate. She looks like she was having fun too :)
Artistically, needs a bit more work but that's ok because it's still early in the season. I wish they would take out a few moves here and there so she can hold a position :(

Technical score: The Lutz-Loop combo was under-rotated for both the FS and the SP. Her lutz edge is looking pretty suspicious as well. It was a slight outside edge last season but it looks like a flat/slightly inside edge now. Not 100% sure because I need a better camera angle. Jumps in general look great. Spins are amazing as always.

Component score: 75 is too much imo. She's not 10+ points better than Mai and Marin - especially in skating skills and interpretation. I think I would have given her a 70. I think most people can agree that she deserves 9s in transitions but skating skills, performance, interpretation, choreo should be in the 8s. She got slower and a bit more labored. It's especially obvious when she does crossovers. She's not Carmen yet but she will get there. Choreo is a bit too busy and cluttered.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her dress definitely looked similar to Ashley's and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Looked gorgeous on Mariah and I was really enjoyed this program from her. A few too many crossovers than some other top contenders but it's a promising start for her. I don't think many of us new what to expect from her this season and I'm glad to see artistic growth from her.

I think Mariah has always been on the fringe of being a top skater. I love these two programs and her dresses, I hope this will be her break out year.