2018 NHK Men's Short Program | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Men's Short Program

Weetos

Final Flight
Also um. I thought judges weren't allowed to award above a certain mark for PCS if they fell? I can't remember what the limit is.

Edit: just took this from the ISU handbook:
9.50 or higher should not be awarded for SS, TR, CO.
9.00 or higher should not be awarded for PE, IN.

Does he have to fall more than once for that to apply?

Edit2: Nevermind, it says 'Falls' so I assume it's only if there's more than one fall. Judging is confusing. Shoma is pretty. I will leave it at that.

cake

On the Ice
Although Shomas skating and quality of elements are superior to Voronov, he should not be leading with a fall and no combo :unsure:

Nice to see how popular Vasiljevs is in Japan. But I can´t remember anything of his program but yellow pants :palmf:

moriel

Record Breaker
Shoma is great, but at this point his scores are so ridiculous that I just can't. nope nope nope

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Every time I see Sergei Voronov perform like that, while Vincent Zhou still has massive, easy to see UR's, I am angry at USFSA for so dissing Ross Miner as not to send him to Olympics and encouraging him to keep competing. Ross is younger than Sergei! USFSA should have given him some respect for finishing second at US Nationals with two great programs. He was (and is) NOT TOO OLD.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Wow, I mean Shoma has always been slightly overscored, but this was just ridiculous. Adelina Sotnikova who lol

cake

On the Ice
Judge 2 wasn´t into Shoma, he/she gave him only +1 for the 3A and 7.75 for composition (but +2 for the flip).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shoma's 3A is interesting. I hate what he does with his free leg after landing, but it puts it in perfect position to get into the second spread eagle.

As Mr. Ski used to say, "If you can't fix it, feature it."

:laugh: I can see both what the low judges and high judges were on about :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Every time I see Sergei Voronov perform like that, while Vincent Zhou still has massive, easy to see UR's, I am angry at USFSA for so dissing Ross Miner as not to send him to Olympics and encouraging him to keep competing. Ross is younger than Sergei! USFSA should have given him some respect for finishing second at US Nationals with two great programs. He was (and is) NOT TOO OLD.

Seeing Sergei, Majorov, Brezina, Bychenko (at least last season before he was injured) there is a point in this...There is nothing like 'being too old' for competing as long as they have fire to do so; yes, their bodies can refuse to be stretched to the max or challenged to introduce more difficulty, but when they work the quality over everything they have in store, adding personality and experience to every performance, it is hard to deny the pull. And Ross was for me always in same category like Voronov for Russia - sticking around, being solid, maybe not always being in the spotlight, but shining in his own time.

And it won't hurt to support them from Fed's site as they often are the one reliable and solid facing others being inconsistent...

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I always have a soft spot for all the older skaters. Sergei has been a favorite of mine for years, as was Ross.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yay Sergei!:luv17: I wish the judges had put him in first, as much as I love Shoma. Fingers crossed that Sergei has another performance like that tomorrow.:pray:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It´s amazing how well Voronov is jumping!!! Otherwise I have to say that outside jumps, spins and footwork the program is pretty empty and should not quite get the PCS the judges are giving him. Shoma was overscored and maybe even his UR not noticed? Poor Zhou, I really feel sorry for him... Will he and his team finally get the message the technical panel is sending to him???

I just loved Rizzo´s performance!!! Hopefully the FS will go well for him.

century2009

On the Ice
I like Shoma, but cant say I agree with the result. He is overmarked especially for the flip.

I think this +5 and -5 will create more and more controversy, until a major scandal to reset is back.

Vincents coaching team didnt learn a lesson at all from SkAm. The judges seem annoyed at him and lower the jumps. Is TomZ oblivious to Vincents problem? I mean it is pretty clear the underrotation.

Is he blind or something?

moriel

Record Breaker
I like Shoma, but cant say I agree with the result. He is overmarked especially for the flip.

I think this +5 and -5 will create more and more controversy, until a major scandal to reset is back.

Vincents coaching team didnt learn a lesson at all from SkAm. The judges seem annoyed at him and lower the jumps. Is TomZ oblivious to Vincents problem? I mean it is pretty clear the underrotation.

Wasnt Mirai also utterly surprised about her URs?
Yeah i think TomZ seems to have some issues with recognizing Urs, or maybe some oldschool pre cop thing "he didnt fall so its clean"

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Tom Z and (some of) his students are an enigma when it comes to not seeing URs :laugh:

frida80

Record Breaker

Underrotations take years to fix. Not weeks. He underrotates all his jumps. There's not much he can do.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
catching up with men

Hiroaki SATO: I didn’t remember this guy but I enjoyed the performance despite the mistakes. Is it just me or his style looks different from the other Japanese men?

Sota YAMAMOTO: graceful skater, very artistic and enjoyable but what in the hell were those things hanging from his arms? :biggrin:

Deniss VASILJEVS: with those yellow satine pants he surely won’t go unnoticed, but not enough to forget his mistakes and it’s a shame, he is quite a performer and his spins and step sequence were gorgeous.

Dmitri ALIEV: like many other Russian men he has such great qualities and lines, he is capable of a handbook quad toe and then screw it up with the next jump :palmf:

Sergei VORONOV: dyadya sergei came to slay and to show those youngsters how to skate a clean sp!!!! And in a 70s pajama! I loved his furious step sequence and what killer attitude after the end!:yahoo:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favs and yellow pants :laugh: (Jason had godawful yellow pants for his Tristan & Iseult LP a few years ago).

Still :love: my Deniss, commits to every movement.

And I like Shoma, but ahead of Sergei? Its a puzzlement....

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why would that be, exactly? This isn’t a +5/-5 issue; Shoma would be better-off under the previous system, if anything, with the higher base values.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Vasiljevs Was great, love the song shame about the mistakes.

Zhou, I didn’t see the UR this time, in SA it was very obvious. I agreed with the B.Eurosport boys. I was a little surprised at the score. I guess this is a sign that he needs to be whiter than white if he wants to get credit.