2018 NHK Men's Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Men's Short Program

oly2018

Final Flight
Vasiljevs Was great, love the song shame about the mistakes.

Zhou, I didn’t see the UR this time, in SA it was very obvious. I agreed with the B.Eurosport boys. I was a little surprised at the score. I guess this is a sign that he needs to be whiter than white if he wants to get credit.

I think Tom Z really did Vincent a disservice when he took his issues with the judges to FB. You have to think at least some of them saw it and now know to look for it. His calling was pretty generous today imo. The 3T was clearly under-rotated. IDK how they are going to fix this issue. Mirai had the same issue, but oddly enough, also had her best performance (jump wise) at the Olympics.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Vincents coaching team didnt learn a lesson at all from SkAm. The judges seem annoyed at him and lower the jumps. Is TomZ oblivious to Vincents problem? I mean it is pretty clear the underrotation.

Is he blind or something?

If he sticks to the planned program he's lowered the difficulty in the fs considerably. URs are really hard to fix so I really didn't expect any difference since skate America. I think this is a good strategy for him. It seems like they've realized they can't just ignore the issue anymore.

As for Shoma, I am a huge fan, loved the 3A and step sequence. But even through my rose-colored glasses I could still see that the flip was under rotated. As much as I want him to win, it's not fair to the skaters like Vincent who had their URs called and also to Voronov who should have won the short. I want Shoma to win because he deserves it not because he was gifted points.

fenstr

Spectator
The rule about UR is changed! Prior to this season 1/4 short of rotation was not consider as a UR jump, now it is.
Can you link this rule for me? I am still finding under 1/2 to 1/4 is < and 1/4 and less is clean, but I know it's changed. I just can't find it[emoji16] [emoji29]

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
You know despite the mistakes today, I wanna say the future of European men’s skating is in good hands. Really enjoy Matteo, Deniss, and Aliev’s skating

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Every time I see Sergei Voronov perform like that, while Vincent Zhou still has massive, easy to see UR's, I am angry at USFSA for so dissing Ross Miner as not to send him to Olympics and encouraging him to keep competing. Ross is younger than Sergei! USFSA should have given him some respect for finishing second at US Nationals with two great programs. He was (and is) NOT TOO OLD.

USFS named Ross to the Four Continents team and he was second alternate for Worlds. He could very, very easily have continued, done what Max and Jason did, which was prove at 4CC that they were still forces to be reckoned with. He could have gone to Worlds and proven himself there. He chose not to do either of those things. You can be mad about the Olympic selection, but to suggest that USFS discouraged him from continuing and didn't give him any opportunities to compete after that is not only unfair it's blatantly untrue.

Zhou, I didn’t see the UR this time, in SA it was very obvious. I agreed with the B.Eurosport boys. I was a little surprised at the score. I guess this is a sign that he needs to be whiter than white if he wants to get credit.

Are you kidding? The 3T in particular was insanely obvious.

mishulyia

On the Ice
Did not read previous entries yet but just wanna say Shoma is ridinkulously overscored.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always have a soft spot for all the older skaters. Sergei has been a favorite of mine for years, as was Ross.

In retrospect,with 20-20 hindsight, the USFSA might have been better off sending Ross as the third man to the Olympics instead of Vincent. Vincent needs a lot more work to get where he needs to be. Ross at least is a great performer.

Yossalu

On the Ice
Zhou placed 6th at the Olympics. Miner wouldn't have been anywhere close. Vincent has a lot to work on but he turned 18 just two weeks ago. It was smart to give him the chance to go the Olympics because he'll grow. Other than seeing a performance people might enjoy what is the upside for USFSA in sending Miner?

If I'm going by hindsight I think they should have sent Jeremy Abbott to 2011 Worlds instead of Ross. Don't forget that Miner got a lot of breaks and a lot of chances when he was younger. He never came close to the kind of placement Vincent got at the Olympics, the Worlds short program, or Junior Worlds.

Vincent has hopefully gotten the message. I hope he finds new coaching. But there's no way he could have fixed the UR issues in a couple of weeks. His back injury probably limited how much he could work on it during the summer, too. I do at least see improvement in his artistry since last season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In retrospect,with 20-20 hindsight, the USFSA might have been better off sending Ross as the third man to the Olympics instead of Vincent. Vincent needs a lot more work to get where he needs to be. Ross at least is a great performer.
That doesn't make any sense to me. Vincent is (has the potential to be, anyway) a long-term asset. Miner was very obviously approaching the end of his career. Giving Vincent more exposure is the better plan for the future, and Vincent finished sixth, which there's no way Ross would have come close to.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
When does the Ross whining stop? And in retrospect it might have been good for Ross’s team to have realized that Nationals was not the only skate that would be considered when making the Olympic decision

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Wow I didn't realize Ross Miner was competing at NHK Trophy in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen.

Latremu

Final Flight
I was going to write something about this competition and live impressions, but I see that the discussion turned to Ross Miner for some weird reason, so... Never mind. [emoji28] enjoy the conversation, everyone.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was going to write something about this competition and live impressions, but I see that the discussion turned to Ross Miner for some weird reason, so... Never mind. [emoji28] enjoy the conversation, everyone.

Write it anyway! :agree:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched all the men, can only state the obvious. Shoma should not be in first place.

lady_bee

Medalist
Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN)
Illusionary World
in the inexplicable black and red shirt with fishnet cutouts, mesh sleeves, black mesh gloves

Wait, what just happened? Did they announce him twice? Why?

It seems that there are flowers left on the ice, so, they restarted after it had been cleaned up.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
That doesn't make any sense to me. Vincent is (has the potential to be, anyway) a long-term asset. Miner was very obviously approaching the end of his career. Giving Vincent more exposure is the better plan for the future, and Vincent finished sixth, which there's no way Ross would have come close to.

Well they let Adam go who was also at the end of his career for some reason.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Wow I didn't realize Ross Miner was competing at NHK Trophy in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen.

*spittake*

This is why you’re one of my favourites around here and you have no idea how hilarious this post is when it’s the first one encountered upon opening the thread.