2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP | Page 166 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP

LaterSkater87878

Rinkside
Being a champion means that there are no excuses,
That's why i'm not a champion for example :laugh: along with most of the people on the planet

There is no real way to connect the NBC coverage to Chen's issues, For all we know
he would've imploded all on his own, He did at Worlds.

Frankly, I don't think that I can discount the media's effect on him altogether. I still think there's a bit of news media pressure and - by extension - personal pressure at play on Nathan Chen's mental process.

There was only a bit of hype going into last year's World's, and he finished 6th overall. But the hype going into the Olympics since at least January has been MASSIVE & much more well-publicized around Nathan - with such newspaper headlines like "Nathan Chen is the Quad King" and "The Gold is Nathan Chen's to Lose". And then he comes into the Olympics & falters in the team SP & now he falls so bad that he's 17th in the men's comp???

Yeah, that's not coincidental to me. I can't do away with the media's effect on his mind just yet, and if this is really the case, then there's nothing wrong with having a sports psychologist on hand to help him through it all.

AliAle

On the Ice
I'm re-watching the men's short of Eurosport Player to keep awake until the free and can't get over the fact the B.ESP guys did not realize Aliev's combo had a quad Lutz, they keep saying it's a triple and are shocked when the final score is announced. :laugh:

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I'm sure there probably was in North America , but in Europe , and possibly other large chunks of the World , the '88 Calgary Olympics was all about the ladies. Witt vs Thomas was the showdown of the games. An ongoing grudge match from the previous three years that was slated as a winner takes all let's-finish-this -right -here shootout in the Saddledome.

And , boy , was it exciting. It's what the games of that year was waiting for. A white hot atmosphere that scorched right through the whole competition. The SP was an absolute classic of tension and drama. Witt's showgirl , Thomas's thudding , wall collapsing hard-house beat , all the while Manley's airy floatiness threatening to get in on the act and spoil the party.

It was a classic. No , 1988 was not about the guys.

Felt so bad for Debi Thomas. She was a terrific skater who could reel off those Triples. But the pressure got to her. Jill Trenery and Karen Kadafy were also on the team, but Karen withdrew because she had the flue. Had to be so disappointing for her. As I have said before, It is the Olympics and things always seem to happen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't believe he would have skated better. He has no international experience to speak of and he didn't do a quad in his SP at Nationals.

Ross has a lot of international experience. He has been to Worlds twice (and should have placed 5th in 2011), medaled at 4CC, and medaled at Grand Prix events.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
What is strange to me, is that Nathan has been just too good to skate so badly at the Olympics. Even with the pressure he still should be able to skate a whole lot better. I hope he is not injured. But something not right with him.

Jedi

On the Ice
I'm sure there probably was in North America , but in Europe , and possibly other large chunks of the World , the '88 Calgary Olympics was all about the ladies. Witt vs Thomas was the showdown of the games. An ongoing grudge match from the previous three years that was slated as a winner takes all let's-finish-this -right -here shootout in the Saddledome.

And , boy , was it exciting. It's what the games of that year was waiting for. A white hot atmosphere that scorched right through the whole competition. The SP was an absolute classic of tension and drama. Witt's showgirl , Thomas's thudding , wall collapsing hard-house beat , all the while Manley's airy floatiness threatening to get in on the act and spoil the party.

It was a classic. No , 1988 was not about the guys.

Well actually I am not so sure it was really about the women. Prehaps in Europe but with a strong North American market and media my mom said (I was too little lol) that the battle of the Brians and Carmens were equal in magnitude. Brian Orser suffered greatly. Things did not go well for him as he then soon got beaten by Boitano in every pro am event. Brian being American already got the bigger bucks, he got the bigger role in the Carmen on ice feature, The Battle of the Carmens kind of fizzled out a bit with Midori jumping bean Ito and Liz Manley stealing the show especially from Debi Thomas who barely clung on to bronze. I mean yes Katarina still had her sex appeal - there was tonnes of pressure on these skaters - Brian's and Katarina and Witt.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't think so. US Figure skating expects people to compete at Nationals if they are physically able to. If you are injured you may be able to petition on to the team. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. But to just not compete if you're physically able, I don't think that would fly.

For a skater who won the last x competitions (including the most important one) it would be a shock to not pick him because he WD Nationals. Now the thing here is Tarasova used to do it with skaters who were already World champion, much stronger than the other competitors in their country to the point where Fed would do anything in order to help him/her/them, while here Nathan technically didn't medal at Worlds or GPF last year, but still looking at the scores at nationals he is clearly USFSA's biggest hope.

Plus let's be real, like in every other sports, there are strategic / fake injuries in figure skating too, you don't need to say them that you don't want to skate at Nationals because you have to rest.

Jedi

On the Ice
Tara had him awarded the gold medal already. And there was the whole "quad king" thing.

Nathan will come back and cream Aliev and Chan - poor Patrick now he is underrotating triple axels. I don't even think McDonald's has hired him to sell their burgers:(

LaterSkater87878

Rinkside
What is strange to me, is that Nathan has been just too good to skate so badly at the Olympics. Even with the pressure he still should be able to skate a whole lot better. I hope he is not injured. But something not right with him.

Philip Hersh just said on Twitter that Nathan was asked yesterday if he is injured, and he said 'no'.

Jedi

On the Ice
Aliev was great and deserves being in the top group. But if you look at the quality of Misha Ge's skating, how smooth and elegant it is-how he floats on top of the ice and every movement of his body corresponds with the music - well, that's true artistry. Dimitri has a bold and gutsy skating style but, imo, it is a bit rough around the edges, at times. He is young and this will develop; Dimitri is Russia's future star.

Yep Misha Ge is aweesome; Deniss is awesome. Cha is awesome. I was surprised I liked Keegan. Kerry as a performer (sorry Karne) was okay but tecnically he is getting there. I really don't get either RUssian boys styles. I know I am a broken record but really there are very few pc technicians/magicians/artists of the level of Lambiel/Buttle and Chan. They are amazing. I know the judges love them but skaters like Evan, Plushy, Hanyu, Javier don't really compare. And the scoring system sucks. We almost need a system that allows for Patrick and the Lambiels or Buttle's of this world tog get 98 pts; Hanyu 92, Javier 91, down to Nathan 84, boyang 80.

- - - Updated - - -

Ross probably would have done a whole lot better than what the US Men are showing today.

I doubt he would have beaten Adam. HE would have had some olympic nerves as well.

LandShark

Rinkside
Well actually I am not so sure it was really about the women. Prehaps in Europe but with a strong North American market and media my mom said (I was too little lol) that the battle of the Brians and Carmens were equal in magnitude. Brian Orser suffered greatly. Things did not go well for him as he then soon got beaten by Boitano in every pro am event. Brian being American already got the bigger bucks, he got the bigger role in the Carmen on ice feature, The Battle of the Carmens kind of fizzled out a bit with Midori jumping bean Ito and Liz Manley stealing the show especially from Debi Thomas who barely clung on to bronze. I mean yes Katarina still had her sex appeal - there was tonnes of pressure on these skaters - Brian's and Katarina and Witt.

Yes, that was my point, that the highlight of the Calgary Games was taken in a different view either side of the Atlantic.

Over here, we were much more invested in the ladies battle, than we were in the men. In North America, it may well have been different. But back then, Katarina Witt was an enormous star in European skating and had more pull with the public than the men's competition.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Aliev was great and deserves being in the top group. But if you look at the quality of Misha Ge's skating, how smooth and elegant it is-how he floats on top of the ice and every movement of his body corresponds with the music - well, that's true artistry. Dimitri has a bold and gutsy skating style but, imo, it is a bit rough around the edges, at times. He is young and this will develop; Dimitri is Russia's future star.

Dmitri has far deeper edges than Misha, what are you talking about.

Sure Misha's interpretation is second to none, but his actual skating skills aren't great i can tell you. (i'm a fan of him)

Jedi

On the Ice
On an interesting note, Jason Brown's 4CC score in the short of 89 points would have been good enough for 1st place among the American men here at the Olympics.

Too bad his National score was too low to be first among the American men when it counted though :(