2018 Rostelecom Cup Ladies Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Ladies Short Program

pesto

On the Ice
I don't think I've ever seen Eteri look so warm with Alina. But the warm fuzzy feeling didn't last long enough for her to give Lilbet support in the K&C.

Alina aside, that was a disappointing session.

I wish they would have a moratorium on any other skaters doing tango music during the year when it is the RD!

gioccia

On the Ice
Those who are saying Eteri could have stayed with Lil, cut her some slack, she has just lost her mother, and yet she’s here, she can barely hold her tears, she might have had an emotional breakdown and was not able to be filmed on camera.

gioccia

On the Ice
Her mom died a couple of days ago, don’t be harsh. Would you rather see her in tears on a big screen? She could barely hold the tears after Alina

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova -> i don't know if the WR is appropriate but this was the best i've seen from her so far this season. Everything looked more convincing, spins were faster. Still too many music cuts.

Sofia Samodurova -> much much better than her SP at Skate America, she tried to sell it more. Well done.

Alexia Paganini -> I've always been a fan of her but great to see her landing the 3ltz-3toe, she was a bit underscored in the components but that's probably because this was her first big GP outing. Hopefully she will keep it together in the free.

Elizabet Tursynbaeva -> two mistakes, in the camel position in the first spin, and then the combo (what happened? the salchow looked good). Shame but she's not that far from the podium, she has a chance.

One could argue USFS should have not submitted Gracie's name for GP invitation consideration. Cause even with the comeback skater rules, USFS still could have opted not submit her name for consideration.

That said, if USFS wanted to be within the rules and allow a means for a former two-time champ and a 2014 Olympian to come back to Nationals, then fine.

Honestly, she knows now where she stands with current international competition standards. You can argue that she didn't need to go to a GP to see that -- but honestly, my hope is that seeing that 37 or whatever will be fuel for her to keep going. Onward from here.

I thought she wanted to go here as this was her first senior GP where she medalled back in 2012.

Can't say she was underscored here, i think she needs to work on the jumps, they need to be higher. She needs someone like Mishin who won't necessarily force her to follow some strict diet but still working on the elements.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Loved the Eteri cam, cameraman was looking for all her reactions, or even TAT's reactions :laugh:

badknees

Medalist
It wasn’t their spot to give. RusFed invites skaters to Rostelecom. They may not have invited a US skater and opted for a closer competitor from Europe had Gracie WD.

I agree with those who said Gracie is skating for that bye to nationals. She’d get chewed up at sectionals and maybe even regionals.

Well........ and again I support Gracie.......but, if she would have gotten "chewed up" at sectionals then she is not ready this year for nationals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish Gracie had waited until she had her jumps back before returning to competition. I rather foolishly, I guess, assumed she would make a credible showing here. I hope if she does show up at Nationals that she can at least land in the middle of the pack.

twirlingblades

Medalist
USFS has no control over Senior Grand Prix spots. Gracie got her spot for being a comeback skater. USFS probably could've encouraged her to wait, but she submitted for that and got one spot. Even if Gracie didn't get a spot, it would be up to each host to decide if they wanted pick on of USFS substitute skaters.

Yes, I know that USFS has no control over what russia does- it was more of a question in response to what other people were asking (“how could USFS let this happen?” “Another US skater could’ve been submitted for GP consideration”, etc). US doesn’t have many good female senior skaters right now that don’t already have 2 spots. Even if Gracie bombs completely in the long, it still might be worth it if this helps her in the long run, and that’s probably a gamble USFS was willing to take.

Anyway, I think everyone is jumping the gun on Gracie, on both sides.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Gracie just had a bad outing. I think the verdict is out. I think she has to get used to her new body (which I like btw) and get some strength and stamina back. I was happy as hell to see her again no matter the result.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
Being that she is recovering from an eating disorder this is in poor taste. She is clear that her skating is not back where she wants to be- she will regain fitness in a way that is healthy for her. A competitive skater doesn't need to look like a 16 year old girl.
Let's stipulate that coming back from an eating disorder is perilous for someone in a solo sport where you're supposed to have a certain 'look'. That being said, to say that Gracie looked out of shape isn't in poor taste, it wasn't said with invective. Sadly, it was a statement of fact. Her skate showed she's out of competitive shape. It's a long, slow, hard road back and what complicates it is that the road keeps moving. The degree of difficulty in programs has progressed far beyond what Gracie could have done at her best. Perhaps she had to do this to see, for herself, exactly where she is in the skating 'mix' these days. Those tears may have been the realization of the truth for her and that's heartbreaking to watch and devastating to endure for her. Whatever her internal dialogue is, she's a gifted skater with musicality and personality. We have enjoyed her skating and hope she can find her place in being able to share her gifts with us for as long as she wishes to do so.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This may not be a very popular post but, after thinking it through, I find it rather presumptuous of Gracie and her team to feel that she was ready for a GP assignment.
Actually, it's a slap in the face to other skaters much more deserving of a GP spot (and I don't mean to another US skater).
Her first event should have been a B event/Challenger Series (as, I'm sure, already mentioned).
She clearly is not ready for this level of competition.
Not body shaming. Just being realistic.
So...no. I do not find it inspiring that she competed here.
But she earned her spot at Nationals. And she better be a medal contender by then.

What does body shaming (or not) have to do with it? If she wasn't ready, it was because she didn't have her jumps back. And her spot likely would have gone to another US skater. The US field is not very deep and all of the likely contenders got their spots.

lala34345

On the Ice
What does body shaming (or not) have to do with it? If she wasn't ready, it was because she didn't have her jumps back. And her spot likely would have gone to another US skater. The US field is not very deep and all of the likely contenders got their spots.

Just because the US field isn't as deep as it used to be doesn't mean that there aren't up-and-comers who could potentially have been competitive at this event, or at least more competitive than Gracie. Look at someone like Megan Wessenberg, who did great at Skate America - why doesn't she deserve this spot at Rostelecom? We all know that the more national/international exposure a skater gets, the more likely they are to receive better PCS marks which, like it or not, are heavily influenced by a skater's reputation and level of recognition. Getting this exposure and the chance to skate in front of international judges again would have been such a great opportunity for Megan. Why is Gracie more deserving of this spot? This isn't meant to demean her at all, but it is clear that she is just not ready for this level of competition, and there are other US ladies that I'm sure would have loved to be here. Why not do something like in gymnastics, where previous top competitors who have been out of the sport/injured perform in front of a panel of officials to show that they are back in shape and ready to compete on the national/international level? Or something like the Russian test skates? I just don't see how Gracie being at this competition is good for her, or for anybody else.

lala34345

On the Ice
Just to give everyone some context, the next lowest short program score this entire Grand Prix season is Alaine Chartrand at Skate America - 46.99. That's almost 10 full points higher than Gracie got here. Again, I don't wish to demean her in any way; I admire that she is making this comeback and trying to overcome her demons - I've dealt with similar mental health issues and know how terribly hard it can be to get healthy again. But it is clear from her skate today that she is just not ready for this level of competition - I don't see any other way to look at this.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am fighting pneumonia and broke my ribs and tore a muscle from coughing so sitting through these programs can be hard but also relaxing considering all.Congratulationsto all the skaters for just being there. There was anticipation of a wide open hunt for silver and bronze and Alexa really did it. If she continues to skate like this she will move on up. And Russia may have its new "third" woman in Sofia(in the past there was Volchkova and in the modern era Russia has gone through Pogolorya and now maybe Sotskova to be replaced by Sofia - who might knock out Evgenia. Good job by Sofia (try not to think about next year and the rash of baby quadsters and 3axels. Alina comes through and really is throwing down the gauntlet to the Japanese challengers. she may not have a quad or triple axel but she will not be intimidated. I expected or thought ET and Lim might come through so I am a bit disappointed.

Of course, I watched with great interest because to me the sp was about Gracie Gold. The rosey view: It is good just to see Gracie skate. She is a powerful skater and has not lost her skating skills. She looked beautiful and healthy. She can still spin. She is brave to come back and skate at major event. She has earned her way back into the big leagues. It may not have been perfect but it is one step closer to her ultimate goal. Good for her. The critical analysis view: She should not be here. She was not ready (perhaps physically or mentally). It is really sad to see a great skater with huge potential still really look unready and unsure. it is heartbreaking. If she did this to avoid competing at regionals/sectionals to get to Nats this was not a good move. And as some have said if she couldn't win at lower level competitions then maybe she doesn't need to be at Nats even if is Gracie Gold. BEcause she is Gracie and a former world contender she got this blessed opportunity to skate at a GP event. There has been concern that she has been jumping all over the place and needed time really to deal with her issues and that takes time. This was not a great comeback so far but let's give her a chance and see if she can use the lessons of the short to fuel the long. I give her credit for not falling apart though in the Kiss and Cry - some would have been devastated. REally no successful jump. But maybe Gracie can rise out of the ashes? Like a Phoenix.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just to give everyone some context, the next lowest short program score this entire Grand Prix season is Alaine Chartrand at Skate America - 46.99. That's almost 10 full points higher than Gracie got here. Again, I don't wish to demean her in any way; I admire that she is making this comeback and trying to overcome her demons - I've dealt with similar mental health issues and know how terribly hard it can be to get healthy again. But it is clear from her skate today that she is just not ready for this level of competition - I don't see any other way to look at this.

Maybe Gracie just had an off day? Maybe she was doing better in practice? This is my "rosey picture" perspective.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I feel for Gracie and wish her all the best in her comeback, but I just have to say Worst. Costume. Ever.