2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Free Skate

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if Yuzuru's Axel problems were because he was attempting the 4A as well.

That may have had something to do with why it was affected by the mess today - been a hell of a ride for him and his fans. The WR yesterday, the fall, being so scared for his ankle, still managing to win by 30 points...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was watching the practice stream and saw Yuzu take that fall on the 4Lo, it looked similar, but less damaging than that one we saw last season. My stomach dropped and did a triple flutz of some kind.

I wasn't sure he'd even compete.

The fact that he changed all his jumps on the go and not practicing them even once is amazing. Yuzu knows how to hang on. --His axels betrayed him, or his ankle gave out in the end, but I was so impressed by his fight and the effort he put in to give a good show for the fans. He really sold the program, and for me this was his best performance -jumps aside.

That being said, Yuzu's face when he saw the scores says it all about the judging and PCS. I am sentimental, and would go ahead and give him 9.75 regardless. But judges aren't paid to be sentimental. Naughty judges.

Delighted at Kazuki's first GP medal. When is the ceremony supposed to be??

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
You mean his 4Lo? That was what he fell on in practice

I must have read a post here wrong, I thought he attempted a 4Lz. But I am also glad that he didn't go for the 4Lo, he has never been 100% with it, the fall at practice notwithstanding.

century2009

On the Ice
You mean his 4Lo? That was what he fell on in practice

Yeah, I though it was the 4L. And I was surprised about the Axel with Hanyu because it is a money shot for him. I can understand one of his axel not doing well, but didnt expect both would a problem. I dont think that has happened to him.

Danny T

Medalist
I didn't realise Yuzu had hurt himself! Ouch, poor guy, I thought his jumps were all different today, but due to my lack of ability to recognise anything that's not an axel I wasn't 100% sure.

Yep, in practice earlier this morning he took a bad fall (right ankle was twisted) on the 4Lo and left practice while his music was still playing. I don't think it's as bad as the 4Lz fall last year, but it was a bad fall.

His jump layout also changed since he decided to take out the 4Lo and not risk it: went from 4Lo, 4S, 3Lo//4T, 4T3A, 3F3T, 3A-Eu-3S to 4S, 4T, 3Lo//3F, 4T-Eu-3S, 3A3T (I assume), 3A2T (also assume since he didn't make it). And since he left morning practice early, he basically pulled this new layout from thin air. Of course, not as perfectly as he would like, but I'm hella impressed.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was watching the practice stream and saw Yuzu take that fall on the 4Lo, it looked similar, but less damaging than that one we saw last season. My stomach dropped and did a triple flutz of some kind.

I wasn't sure he'd even compete.

I was reminded of COC 2014, for all he's older and presumably wiser, he's still Yuzu and so wanted to do Origin here for Plushy :sad21:

The fact that he changed all his jumps on the go and not practicing them even once is amazing. Yuzu knows how to hang on. --His axels betrayed him, or his ankle gave out in the end, but I was so impressed by his fight and the effort he put in to give a good show for the fans. He really sold the program, and for me this was his best performance -jumps aside.

It's the fighter in him when things are bad that IMO makes him that much more of a champion.

(PS - I do see what you mean about the PCS, though being unblushingly biased I can't be all that sorry...)

Weetos

Final Flight
I must have read a post here wrong, I thought he attempted a 4Lz. But I am also glad that he didn't go for the 4Lo, he has never been 100% with it, the fall at practice notwithstanding.

I don't think he has attempted a 4Lz since the cursed one last year
I am just really impressed that he reworked the layout like that and it went pretty well until the last part :laugh: please just take care of your precious ankles Yuzu.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For something more lighthearted, I was confused why I saw a 13 there for elements. Then I saw that "8" was accidentally skipped.

century2009

On the Ice
Vorono is going strong making it to the GPF again for the 2nd straight year, and at his age. More power to him!

The last spot is exciting to see who can make it.

Keegan just needed to walk through the door, but he didnt.

Jun has a chance, but France will be interesting.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Grand Prix Standings

Secured Spot
30 - Yuzuru Hanyu
30 - Shoma Uno
26 - Michal Brezina

Could Make It
24 - Sergei Voronov (Very Likely)
22 - Junhwan Cha
20 - Keegan Messing
15 - Nathan Chen (Still has FRA, Very Likely)
9 - Alexander Samarin (Still has FRA, Will Need Silver for a shot)
7 - Boyang Jin (Still has FRA, Will Need Gold for a shot)
7 - Dmitri Aliev (Still has FRA, Will Need Gold for a shot)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I don't think he has attempted a 4Lz since the cursed one last year
I am just really impressed that he reworked the layout like that and it went pretty well until the last part :laugh: please just take care of your precious ankles Yuzu.

Just no 4Lzs, Yuzuru, watch them ankles... I was (and still kinda is) against his training 4As because of that, I love your ankles and want them safe for goodness's sake. I'm yet to watch how he did, but I'm preparing for both heartache and being impressed. On the other hand, I can't wait to watch Kazuki :hap57: Go get that 3rd spot at nationals!

Shanshani

On the Ice
I wouldn't be so sure about Yuzu being at GPF, information from the press conference suggests that his injury is pretty serious and that him skating at GPF and Nats is unlikely. Ugh :sad4:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I wouldn't be so sure about Yuzu being at GPF, information from the press conference suggests that his injury is pretty serious and that him skating at GPF and Nats is unlikely. Ugh :sad4:

Oh god don't tell me he's repeating last season...

rei00

Rinkside
Well I'm new here. And I just wanted to say -
When I last time attended gp live, Lipnitskaya skated for the last time (you all remember, don't you?) and Shoma skated crap without sequences. Here I am again, for my beloved Hanyu, and well...
I'm starting to think I can jinx events. I'm so sorry guys!!! XD

After hearing about Hanyu being not sure about GPF and nationals, I feel even worse :sad21::slink:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Including skating on painkillers, apparently. It doesn't sound like it's as bad as last time, but I'm totally gutted for him. Why can't he be healthy, like, ever :sad4:

He's a genius on ice, but prone to injury. The skating gods give a lot to Yuzu, and Yuzu's own hard work has made him one of the Greats in skating; but it doesn't come cheap.

Country
Norway
Including skating on painkillers, apparently. It doesn't sound like it's as bad as last time, but I'm totally gutted for him. Why can't he be healthy, like, ever :sad4:

Don´t want to sound like a ***, but isn´t that the risk of taking such difficult jumps? I really understand that figure skating is somehow developing forward, it is also means it´s more dangerous and that the risk of injuries is higher.

It´s really great to see someone taking those risks and do fantastic jumps, on the other hand, it´s not good if they just keep pushing themselves to injuries all the time.

I really hope it isn´t that bad and that he get´s well really fast. He is such an amazing skater!