2018 Skate America Ladies Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Ladies Free Skate

gioccia

On the Ice
A funny thing is that Kaori has very good elements, great jumps, her BV is higher than Satoko's but Satoko has the same TES. That should never happen. I admit that Satoko was great, her programs were great. But those GOE on elements...

Country
Russia
My five cents.

I believe Kaori should win - Satoko had URs (in fact, not in protocols) and her GOE for jumps is too high, while Satoko has excellent spins and no doubt deserves high PCS.

Sofia is deservedly third, but difference in score to 2nd place should be lower and to 4th place higher.

Bradie no doubt deserves 4th place but her score is too high - many serious errors.

Summary of Ladies FS - 7 girls were massively mistaken, after that 3 girls were teachers in lesson "how to skate". All medalists are nice and strong and no doubt skated as good as medalists should skate.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
congratulations to the winners! they all fought hard for their medals and deserved their podium. miyahara also wins the gold for best dressed :biggrin: i'm glad to see chartrand actually ending a program totally clean, this was probably her best performance in years, i'm also happy for lecavelier, who showed a lot of improvement. on the other hand polina and marin just broke my heart, they both looked nervous and scared and it endend up in a total disaster.

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
I just recapped to the event and Marin was so beautiful!!! She used to be so timid, but her smile, her costume, she was skating so big it was so amazing!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Okay so I gathered my thoughts on the ladies event, which I have to say I really enjoyed!

Polina & Marin - that was really tough to watch, such lovely skaters but I guess this just happens :( Polina seems scared all the time and I don't know what happened to Marin because she looked strong in the SP and in warm-up before FS. Also I kind of expected that will happen, that both of them will bomb :( On the plus side I noticed how Raf was soooo fatherly with Marin which was very sweet to see :)

Laurine - wow what a pleasant surprise! I have to say I really disliked her programs last year, especially the one with costume change (Grease it was I think?) and even though she has this distinctive bit of tackiness it kind of suits her and it's visible that she enjoys it which I always like to see.

Starr - don't really like her FS nor her skating, she seemed super dissapointed which is understandable.

Bradie - she would've medalled if not the major mistake in the SP. I still think she made a massive leap not only upping her technical content but artistically she really grew and I like her this season, I think she'll keep getting stronger.

I was really sad that Loena withdrew, I hope nothing serious has happened to her :(

Now for the medalists :biggrin:

Sofia - I first saw her at Lombardia this year and immediately liked her! So happy she held it all together and medalled here, I really like her SP, FS not so much but boy she can sell it! I'm a fan :agree:

Kaori - yeeees! I knew her Lombardia SP bombing was just a fluke! :clap:

Now the most important lady - Satoko. First of all some of her jumps definitely looked better than last season, some were still small but her 3Lz-3T looked bigger to me. Some of you may know that Satoko was working with Ghislain Briand (Yuzu's and Javi's jump coach) that's why I think the improvement is visible. I am glad that judges noticed it too because she got no carrots and I think it's fair, she didn't UR on ice and as we all know perfectly well prerotation basically does not exist for the tech panels so I won't dwell on it as well. It did bother me for a very long time, not only in Satoko's case but in many other skaters as well but it is not going to be addressed so I stopped caring. It is what it is. Satton deserved to win, her PCS should be a way ahead of everybody, she did not get even one 9 (!!) of all PCS components (I mean in the averaged scores) which is ridiculous but I hope those will grow as the season progresses.

Congrats to all the ladies! :medal":cheer:

SXTN

Final Flight
A funny thing is that Kaori has very good elements, great jumps, her BV is higher than Satoko's but Satoko has the same TES. That should never happen. I admit that Satoko was great, her programs were great. But those GOE on elements...

Exactly. Give Satoko higher PCS, give her high GOE on steps and spins but the jumps should NEVER go above +1. Most of the jumps should receive base value.

Kaori and Satoko skated back to back, how you can the judges reward Satoko with almost the same GOE on jumps? It is unfair!

mikeko666

Final Flight
Exactly. Give Satoko higher PCS, give her high GOE on steps and spins but the jumps should NEVER go above +1. Most of the jumps should receive base value.

Kaori and Satoko skated back to back, how you can the judges reward Satoko with almost the same GOE on jumps? It is unfair!

Kaori is a Midori Ito class jumper who can perform textbook jumps (except for 3Lz for now). Young skaters, not only young girls but also boys, should use hers as their models.

Now the judges are giving Satoko's jumps GOE comparable to Kaori's. What I want to ask ISU is whether they want young skaters to use Satoko's jumps as their models, encouraging them to prerotate as much as possible (up to 270 degrees) to compensate smallness of their jumps.

I don't think Satoko's jumps are bigger than before. They looked so because of the camera work by NBC. She looked to rotate faster, though, and prerortate more.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was very sad too watching Marin's free skate. I was sitting close to the ice and it appeared to me to possibly be a physical issue, either with her boot or ankle. She couldn't seem to keep her blade vertical to the ice and, in the popped jumps later in the program, her blade was so tilted on the landings she almost landed on the outside edge of her boot. She skated well during the warmup in the morning. I hope she recovers and does well for the rest of the season.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I agree, it was tough watching both Marin and Polina. Marin performs with every cell of her body. I would say she outperformed even Satoko in the SP. It made her FS meltdown especially sad having just seen a glimpse of what she could be.

As for Polina, she seemed taken over by nerves. I think someone here mentioned that she looked scared of underrotating, so she popped. Her jumps are so big and when she hits them, she makes them look easy - I actually gasped when I saw her first 3Lz at the other end of the rink. I understand the underrotation rules but it’s hard to see such a talented skater get so beaten down by them.

Satoko, Kaori, and Sofia all earned their medals and made the Ladies competition the best of the whole event. I do think I would have had Kaori come out ahead. This was my first time seeing Satoko live and her jumps are really, truly tiny in person. The flow she carries in and out of them is excellent though and honestly I could see very few underrotations from my place in the stands (and I was looking for them).

I have to give credit to Bradie for working very hard on these programs and her overall presentation. She still has a lot of room for improvement but there was a huge difference between this and Nationals last January. I even kind of enjoyed her Romeo & Juliet program, which I was not expecting.