2018 Skate America Ladies Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Ladies Free Skate

Joekaz

On the Ice
Maybe because she thought that she would score much less in TES?
And more in PCS would bring same result. But the SP TES scores showed what was coming. Kaori's TES advantage in jumps she loses alot back to Satoko in the other elements. In the PCS Satoko should be much more than 3 points better.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My highlights. I think I got 40 points and I had Megan in the mix. :)
Great debut for Megan she held it together.
Same for Sofia. :thumbsup:

I think that Kaori should have won , but silver is good. Her next competition is Finland and she should get the silver there, so grand prix final looks good.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just out of curiosity, I searched results for Skate America, and this is the first time in 10 years that an American woman has not been on the podium.

The last time it happened, it was 2008, also at Everett. That year, the podium was Kim Yuna (gold), Yukari Nakano (silver), and Miki Ando (bronze).

Americans finished 4th (Rachel Flatt), 5th (Mirai Nagasu) and 8th (Kimmie Meissner).

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Just out of curiosity, I searched results for Skate America, and this is the first time in 10 years that an American woman has not been on the podium.

The last time it happened, it was 2008, also at Everett. That year, the podium was Kim Yuna (gold), Yukari Nakano (silver), and Miki Ando (bronze).

Americans finished 4th (Rachel Flatt), 5th (Mirai Nagasu) and 8th (Kimmie Meissner).

Another record of note: I believe Satoko is the first ladies skater to repeat gold at Skate America since Yuna, who won it in 2008 and 2009.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Nailed both Kaori second and Sofia third on my predictions but not the winner.

I thought the new rules would have exposed Satoko's issues, instead her scores are pretty much the same as last season. I'm not a huge fan of this tango program either, but she is a great skater nonetheless.

Kaori what an improvement from Lombardia Trophy, she was foot perfect here (i thought she could have won here)

Sofia was one of my favs here: i think she deserves better programs, but you can see both in the SP and LP how hard she tried to skate clean and sell it at the same time. Among the Russian ladies i think she is one of the most expressive, she lives her programs.

Marin Honda: oh boy... at this point i don't even know what it is anymore cause i thought this was lack of training but she looked strong in the warmup, the coaching change is not paying off unfortunately, it is still early in the season but she needs to figure it out now otherwise she will get lost in the shuffle, competition in Japan is soo tough.

Polina Tsurskaya: yikes. Things are not going well, you can tell in the free she was soo afraid of getting the calls that she started popping elements. She desperately needs a technician to restore her jumps, with Eteri there was Sergej Dudakov helping her with the jumps, i don't know who could fix her issues at CSKA but you can't let the judges think whether a jump is UR or not, otherwise scores will always be like this.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Now I am back from the dentist and have been able to actually watch her program, and wow, I'm thrilled for Laurine! That was a good solid skate with the interpretation powered up a notch from French Masters (and it was nice to see the dress in more detail than a shaky Facebook livestream, too - I like the draping). And fifth in the FS and overall! Well earnt.

And only an underrotation on the 3T3T this time, no downgrade. It'll come clean again soon!

What a great first competition she's had. :love:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm glad that I slept in, the two I was rooting for did not have good skates... :( As expected Miyahara Satoko won (I have issues with the UR calls, but I don't have the energy to argue and I'm no tech expert), but my favorite performance was Sakamoto Kaori's. She was on fire, wouldn't have been that much surprised if she actually won the thing. And Sofia Samodurova surprised a lot of people (including me) by winning bronze.

Congrats to the medalists, and by god I hope Marin gets more consistent as the season goes on. She was never the most consistent skater but that was the worst performance I've seen her on her free, both in both tech and expression.

Forgot to add, what happened with Polina's FS dress??? I hope from the bottom of my heart that she gets another one, god that one was awful.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yep! New coach for her this season.

No, she was with Kori last season too (and Rohene). Jean-Francois Ballester is the new addition for this season.

Laurine's really ridden out the transition year well and the work she did on rebuilding her jump technique last season is starting to show (as is the impact of getting her health issues diagnosed and managed). Her lutzes are looking amazing now!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Congratulation to all the skaters, winners or not. I am happy Alaine had a more than decent skating, no popping or falling. This what I dreamed for her, and I hope she is happy. I really hoped Kaori to win this competition, and I think she was better than Satoko, though I agree Satoko has improved a lot. Still, her jumps are small in height and length. Satoko is tiny, but Kaori is not at all taller. But how can Kaori have nice jumps, and Satoko can't jump higher...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bradie - what happened. I was just thinking this was her year. I couldn't see how she could miss the podium but she did. I was surprised Sofia held it together. I was really disappointed in Bradie and Starr. Sad for Alaine and Polina they both look like they are in trouble. Alain will be okay as in some way she is Canada no. 1 until Gabby and Larkyn come back. Very dire for canada. Happy for our French femme fatale for showing some signs of hope. The Japanese ladies could dominate this year - mind you a Russian or two might have some say. Miyahara is the modern day Michelle or Yuna or even Mao. Wonderful lyrical skating with consistent jumps though not necessarily the biggest.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I'm all for Satoko getting all the PCS; she has skating skills and transitions, and is a beautiful performer. Second only to Carolina. But her jump GOEs are ridiculous. Her 2A got more GOE than Kaori's... and Polina's (!!!). And her GOEs for all jumps compared to Kaori's are nuts.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
What’s going on with Marin? I hope she’s ok.

Sad for Polina and I hate to say that I saw it coming.

Satoko was lovely as always and she’s the perfect skater to perform this piece.

The audience was amazing today. :agree:

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all medalists !! :hap10:

I watched the event 6 in the morning before going to work so I couldn't come here, but this is late news, Marin felt something wrong on her right ankle before morning practice, and she hurt it when she fell on the first jump in FS. She says she is feeling pain a little now and wants to recover soon. I wish her well.

https://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20181022/fgr18102208110002-n1.html

Nika09

On the Ice
Firstly congrats all the beautiful ladies with season start! And double congrats for now two time SA champion Satoko, two time SA runner-up Kaori and bronze medalist Sofia!!

For me the main problem about Satoko's programs is...almost impossible to choose which one I like most SP or FP? It's problem you know... I'm watching "Song for the little sparrow" and thinking - it's definitely the one! Elegant and refined, soft and silky (just as her costume).
And then she's performing Tango and here you go. Power and passion, with Satoko's elegance there as well. You just can't take your eyes off her. But there's no doubts about one thing: her FP costume is a masterpiece, best dress since Yuna Kim I'd say.

About her EX...this style for Satoko (second part of the program) kind of unexpected. I can't decided yet like it or not. But I like to see her smiling and having fun, and that long spiral at the beginning is certainly stunning!

gioccia

On the Ice
Um, the only thing connecting Satoko and Alena's programs is Tango music, former has it as FS and using specific arrangement comprising also Four Seasons references, later did SP - different structure, music, attitude altogether, both suiting their performers respectively.

Bradie ups her tech content - if she's going for a combo Alina is known for, what is wrong with it? It should be praised that skaters are challenging themselves technically and aiming to the best/those who are doing the most difficult jump combination. Otherwise, both skaters could not be more different in my opinion.

I meant neither elements nor music, there were similar moves in and out of elements which remind Alena and Alina's choreo.