2018 Skate America: Thoughts and Highlights? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America: Thoughts and Highlights?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some people don't like their tone or find them rude. Personally, I actually like their commentary but they talk CONSTANTLY. They talk so much that sometimes you can barely hear the music. Sometimes, it's not as bad, but they're developing a reputation for nonstop chatter.

Of the two, Tara is the most annoying. She NEVER closes her mouth.

I think NBC has made a conscious decision to appeal to less-savvy occasional figure skating viewers. It's all about personality and interplay between Tara and Johnny. They could commentate a bull-riding rodeo competition, and the chatter wouldn't be all that different.

I've accepted NBC's direction, and choose to view livestreams from my computer.

Even on blocked livestreams, someone nearly always has some black-market feed that is shared on the competition threads.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people don't like their tone or find them rude. Personally, I actually like their commentary but they talk CONSTANTLY. They talk so much that sometimes you can barely hear the music. Sometimes, it's not as bad, but they're developing a reputation for nonstop chatter.

Of the two, Tara is the most annoying. She NEVER closes her mouth.

I think NBC has made a conscious decision to appeal to less-savvy occasional figure skating viewers. It's all about personality and interplay between Tara and Johnny. They could commentate a bull-riding rodeo competition, and the chatter wouldn't be all that different.

I've accepted NBC's direction, and choose to view livestreams from my computer.

Even on blocked livestreams, someone nearly always has some black-market feed that is shared on the competition threads.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
It's all about personality and interplay between Tara and Johnny. They could commentate a bull-riding rodeo competition, and the chatter wouldn't be all that different.

You're not wrong. I watched every episode of that wedding cake competition show they hosted on Food Network and the banter was similar. I enjoyed it though :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Guys, please explain to me. I noticed that many very often scold Tara and Johnny. This is a little bit surprising for me. I don't have a subscription to the NBC channel (it's a little expensive for me), but I saw a some videos on YouTube with their comments. I really liked them, especially Johnny. He is so nice (maybe I am biased, because, I think, he is very kind at Russians and Russian culture). Why people don't like Johnny?

Tara is specially annoying because at times it feels like she doesn’t know anything about figure skating(or she is just extremely biased). Johnny is not as bad as her but it seems he is getting worse and worse with time, it’s like Tara is infecting him. [emoji23]
They kept talking about unrelated stuff while the skaters were competing. If someone is skating, first of all, I think you should shut up. If you don’t, if you have to say something, say something constructive or neutral and short, keep your comments short. What do they do? They keep blabbing over, talking about unnecessary subjects. It’s really, really annoying to me. They come across as very disrespectful, not very knowledgeable and very biased to their countrymen and their favorites.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The one thing I was annoyed with from all of them (Terry, Tara & Johnny) was the insistence that the scores were somehow incomprehensible at this event. Terry kept saying how all of the skaters were trying to figure out what their scores meant and how no one had any idea whether a score was good or bad. I found that to be really annoying. Yes, the values have changed somewhat but not the point any knowledgeable fan wouldn't know what they were looking at. I think it looks really bad when the experts appear completely nonplussed when a score comes up. You're supposed to know what it means. If the values or rules change do your homework, learn what it means, and then relay that to the audience.

They got on my nerves with that...:gaah:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guys, please explain to me. I noticed that many very often scold Tara and Johnny. This is a little bit surprising for me. I don't have a subscription to the NBC channel (it's a little expensive for me), but I saw a some videos on YouTube with their comments. I really liked them, especially Johnny. He is so nice (maybe I am biased, because, I think, he is very kind at Russians and Russian culture). Why people don't like Johnny?

It's Tara that most of us do not like. I really like Johnny. I wish it was Johnny and anybody else.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one thing I was annoyed with from all of them (Terry, Tara & Johnny) was the insistence that the scores were somehow incomprehensible at this event. Terry kept saying how all of the skaters were trying to figure out what their scores meant and how no one had any idea whether a score was good or bad. I found that to be really annoying. Yes, the values have changed somewhat but not the point any knowledgeable fan wouldn't know what they were looking at. I think it looks really bad when the experts appear completely nonplussed when a score comes up. You're supposed to know what it means. If the values or rules change do your homework, learn what it means, and then relay that to the audience.

They got on my nerves with that...:gaah:

Don't they have almost instant access to a protocol? I mean where they can determine which jumps were marked short or are under review, the levels awarded for elements and the GOE?

evasorange

Final Flight
Over the years Tara and Johnny commentary has gotten worse and worse. At this point in time, the worse thing about it they never stop talking and bringing the conversation back to themselves! It’s soooo annoying. If I have to hear the words “nagano ‘98” in regards to Tara’s gold medal one more time...🤬
I remember discovering bbc Eurosport commentary some years ago and for the longest time I didn’t even know the commentators names! I’m still not sure if they ever were skates or not! Meanwhile over on nbc we know every ritual
Johnny used to do before skating, we know how loud Tara likes to listen to music in her car and all kinds of asinine details that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the skaters performing right in front of them. I wish nbc would reign them
In but truly they don’t a you know what about this sport.

Orlov

Medalist

Oh, you don't know how can continuously chat TAT! :) I am ready to immediately change TAT to Johnny (and he knows Russian and will be able to comment on it :)). Yagudin joined her in ladies' FP and it began - "...Do you remember?", "...I was a flower boy at that competition", "I tell him - Lesha, you are not ready yet, but he told me - Tatyana Anatolyevna, I want to go to this competition". I'm just "shut up, shut up, shut UUUUP!!!"

Yes, I understand what you mean - after the sweetest Ted Barton, who is always silent during the skate, it can be distracting and annoying. For this reason many people (and I myself) like the comments of Yulia Lipnitskaya cuz she speaks a relatively little, has a soft pleasant voice and does not speak during skate, like Ted. Unfortunately, Channel One (on which TAT rules) bought out the rights to broadcast the Grand Prix and TeleSport (on which Yulia commented) does not broadcast this year :(

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
On a contrasting note, I'm really glad to hear PJ Kwong return as the commentator for the CBC GP streams. She leaves the skater's/program's backstory and performance summary either before and/or after the performance, not during it. Sometimes she may read emails or tweets from fans but this is done after the performance. Even when she does speak during the performance, which are minimal, usually she just gives quick compliments or constructive comments of something that stood out to her at that moment. With some commentators, they are TL;DL but I find that PJ is never obtrusive in her commentary.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the real problem is that NBC does not care about the sport of figure skating. And since we have to pay for this channel, they should let us vote who we want commentating. I'm fine with Johnny. How about Jenny Kirk, Michelle Kwan or any other retired skater.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If I have to have a commentator I choose Ted Barton. I watched the ISU feed and there was no commentary and I like it that way best. I then read the pbps written by the good folks of GS and worship the TES box.

Next week, for us Canadians, it's TSN and Tracy Wilson (yay!) and Rod Black (put down the news paper overly excited Rod is back..).

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker

I actually like Johnny.

But Tara’s commentary is mostly inane - like, ‘Dont worry, the quads are coming’ after Nathan’s opening 3lo - and I find her grating.

And they have a tendency to talk over the music and at critical parts of the program.

Manitou

Medalist
It's Tara that most of us do not like. I really like Johnny. I wish it was Johnny and anybody else.

I agree. Johnny is one of a kind, he doesn't cover the truth with "sensitive" BS, I love his commentary. He's interesting, funny and very knowledgeable. But please, do not bring Kwan. DO NOT bring Kwan. After she went to politics she is disqualified from public commentary. She is a politician now, not a skater. That's an automatic disqualification.
I want to see Johnny together with Tanith. Together. To me she is a good as Johnny and I think they will fit together. And they both know how to pronounce Russian names correctly. It's a decisive factor.

Never, never bring back Hamilton.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
But please, do not bring Kwan. DO NOT bring Kwan. After she went to politics she is disqualified from public commentary. She is a politician now, not a skater. That's an automatic disqualification.

:noshake::noshake::noshake:

That's clearly a personal bias as I've never heard someone being affiliated with a particular political party as a reason for "automatic disqualification" from commentating figure skating.:scratch3:

Not to worry though. Michelle has a very busy life outside of skating. She's an ambassador/spokesperson for several organizations/charities which keeps her on the move quite a bit. I seriously doubt she'd be interested giving all of that up to sit around with Johnny and make snarky comments about skaters all day. ;)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Oh, you don't know how can continuously chat TAT! :) I am ready to immediately change TAT to Johnny (and he knows Russian and will be able to comment on it :)). Yagudin joined her in ladies' FP and it began - "...Do you remember?", "...I was a flower boy at that competition", "I tell him - Lesha, you are not ready yet, but he told me - Tatyana Anatolyevna, I want to go to this competition". I'm just "shut up, shut up, shut UUUUP!!!"

Yes, I understand what you mean - after the sweetest Ted Barton, who is always silent during the skate, it can be distracting and annoying. For this reason many people (and I myself) like the comments of Yulia Lipnitskaya cuz she speaks a relatively little, has a soft pleasant voice and does not speak during skate, like Ted. Unfortunately, Channel One (on which TAT rules) bought out the rights to broadcast the Grand Prix and TeleSport (on which Yulia commented) does not broadcast this year :(

I sometimes watch the Russian broadcasts and yeah, TAT also loves to go on and on. Who's the guy who's often on those broadcasts as well? He's another talker. :laugh:

Tara and Johnny ... could commentate a bull-riding rodeo competition, and the chatter wouldn't be all that different.

Maybe not bull-riding, but the dynamic duo does work the Kentucky Derby.

In fact, Jonhnny competed in equestrian events before he took up figure skating. And I have read that Tara, too, was introduced to horseback riding as a young child, but her parents decided the sport was too expensive so they encouraged her to switch to (roller) skating instead.

He-e-e-res Johnny! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl1e4viCQAAAF0n.jpg :)

NaVi

Medalist
Personally, I actually like their commentary but they talk CONSTANTLY. They talk so much that sometimes you can barely hear the music. Sometimes, it's not as bad, but they're developing a reputation for nonstop chatter.

I like Tara, Johnny, and Terry, but there can be too much talking sometimes... I would like NBC or any one else showing figure skating to try something like VH1 pop-up videos where text bubbles of information are put it on the screen... or a scroller at the bottom like with news programs. I think it would get less in the way of the skater trying to communicate with the audience.

A little OT, but one thing I'd like NBC to do is to start the program immediately to the best 1 or 2 short programs in whichever discipline is the most interesting. That way you draw the previous audience in faster and build up a narrative setting up the top two skaters.

I guess I am a minority of one, but I actually like Tara's commentating just fine.

I do agree with the criticism of the whole NBC crew, though, on the issue of, "oh the scoring system is so complicated, even the skaters can't figure it out."

Not to worry though. Michelle has a very busy life outside of skating. She's an ambassador/spokesperson for several organizations/charities which keeps her on the move quite a bit. I seriously doubt she'd be interested (in a commentating job).

I pride myself in being the number one over-the-top Michelle Kwan fan of all time, but evn I have to admit that one thing she does not have is a gift of gab. She is not a natural at filling silence with babble, which is the main requisite for being on TV.

As a so-called politician, she sticks to issues that have particular relevance to her. Advancement of women, especially with respect to opportunities in sports. Encouraging greater involvement by Asian American/Pacific Islanders in the political process. Fitness and health programs, especially for girls. The Special Olympics and inclusion of all. Using sports as a entry to international friendship and co-operation.

As for partisanship, she worked effectively with Republican Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice and with Democratic Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Eyes on the Prize. :yes: