2018 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's the meaning of the V at the end of a spin initials? Evgenia had this V for her last 2 spins which were both level3. I've seen that V on and off, but I don't get it.

From ISU Guidelines
https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/17142-isu-communication-2168/file

1. For flying spins (with no change of foot and only one position) of both Short Program and Free Skating the following is required: a clear visible jump. The sign “V” indicates that this requirement is not fulfilled. The base values of spins with the sign “V“ are listed in the SOV table.

2. The base values of spin combinations with only 2 basic positions (at least 2 revolutions in each of these positions) are also listed in the SOV table.

3. All spins with change of foot must have 3 revolutions on each foot. In Short Program, if this requirement is not fulfilled, the spin will get “No Value”. In Free Skating the sign “V” indicates that this requirement is not fulfilled. The base values of spins with the sign “V“ are listed in the SOV table.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Med can skate to a real program that doesn’t depend on miming or cheap audio tricks. Thank you Brian

Well, it's not like the "miming" and "cheap audio tricks" took up the entire 4 minutes of her past programs.

Besides - her other programs were real.

I don't think she won all those titles because of a ringing phone, a train horn, or the expression on her face.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wait, the Vs mean different things in SP and FS? ... Why??? That seems needlessly confusing lol

But I think on rewatching she missed 3 revs on the camel on both of those spins.

Sometimes they call it sometimes they don't. It depends of the tech caller was counting or not.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
My prediction after the SP was right.

I am glad Evgenia put on a fight and didn't make big mistakes.
Liza could have done better in the FP, but she looks so calm and seasoned now, which I like.
Mako's jumps are to die for. She skated the happiest Madama Butterfly I've ever seem. I hate all Madama Butterfly programs including the one from Mao, but I don't know why I love hers. It's supped to be tragic story but Mako was happy in the program. It worked better in a strange way.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Random question - I noticed that while Mariah and raf were in the kiss n cry someone off camera got raf’s attention and told him to give Mariah her team jacket so that she could wear it while they waited for scores. Is it an official requirement for all skaters to wear their team jackets in the kiss n cry, even if there are no sponsors on it?

rain

Record Breaker
Wait, the Vs can mean different things in SP and FS? ... Why??? That seems needlessly confusing lol

But I think on rewatching she missed 3 revs on the camel on both of those spins.

I think the issue may have been her sit spin position actually. She did not get low enough in the sit.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Random question - I noticed that while Mariah and raf were in the kiss n cry someone off camera got raf’s attention and told him to give Mariah her team jacket so that she could wear it while they waited for scores. Is it an official requirement for all skaters to wear their team jackets in the kiss n cry, even if there are no sponsors on it?

I believe it is a requirement. I've noticed at other times skaters needing to be reminded to put on their team jacket.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am so happy for all three medallists for different reason. Great skate by Mako; wonderful jumps. Liza wasn't super in the FP but she held it together to win gold. And while I see all sorts of issues about Evgenia she wasn't giving up. Such fierceness from this woman. She is pushing herself; that's for sure. Sorry but Mariah didn't belong on the podium. Chartrand and Andrews bothlooked better here too.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched the competition on replay, some really great skates!

Very happy for Mariah, her skate was really good. Had she landed that second lutz, she may have been on the podium. Congrats to Evgenia for fighting back so strong and making the podium. Congrats to Elizaveta on her gold. Mako, congrats on stealing the show! Like many here, I felt you should've had gold tonight.

Sorry to see what happened with Wakaba's skate. I hope she is still rehabbing her injury, and she makes a full recovery soon.

I think SA and SC were both great learning experiences for Starr. I think every skater has their "oh God" moment with a horrible skate, and that was Starr's SA and her last place finish. Here, she learned to rebound from that. She also learned how to regroup after a bad opening, and fight back for the rest of the program. Definite improvement in her skate and her placement between SA and SC.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Wait, the Vs can mean different things in SP and FS? ... Why??? That seems needlessly confusing lol

It’s not that V means different things in SP and in FS. V has the same definition in both programs. It’s just that the points you get for a spin marked V is zero in the SP. Just like if you do a double jump for your solo jump, you get zero points.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Agree that Liza's SP GOEs were underscored, not just 3A but all jumps. Liza has huge jumps with great technique, but so does Mako; I'd say in the FS her jumps were on par with Liza's best. Mako's GOEs I believe were underscored; 2's and 3's are too little for those jumps. I think she should have won.

Do you think Mako has a good 2A?

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I have no seen all programs, but way to go Medvedeeva! Sometime to lose is more important than to win. She wants to learn and be better, she (and also fans of figure skating) has to be prepared to ire and make mistakes. There is not a gold way to take, every skater has to go their own. A good skater + coaching team would learn from this week what is to learn and would try to improve. It annoys me how people are not ready to give time to skaters to improve. Yes, she may miss some important medals, it depends what is more important: now or the future.

Happy for Liza! Show them all, baby!

Sad for Wakaba. I liked last season programs much much more than this year, this year are too bland for her personality. Wish her speedy recovery.

Bravo Mako.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
I have to say I totally agree with the scoring and placements today :thumbsup:

Evgenia proved that she is here to fight, and she's not going anywhere. I am so happy for her, I think it was her best performance from this season, her LP is beginning to look better and better. I loved her old programs, but I think she will be able to master this new programs, too. She's a fighter, after all. :clapper: Definitely putting 2Lz in her free is not a good idea if she wants to win, but I guess her team is thinking further in the future and that is understandable.

Mako, I am loving her more and more, she's such a cutie, her jumps are looking solid (beside that edge call and a "<"), but she's a pleasure to watch, too. I think the scoring was right, after all Liza had that 3A in her SP that set her apart from her competition.The japanese girls are in top shape this season, so we're going to see a great fight at the Nationals. :thumbsup:

Congrats Liza, for this GP win :cheer: Mariah is very enjoyable and has some gorgeous spins. Wakaba is not there yet, hope she'll recover after her injury and be in top shape. Lil'Bet recovered great in the second half of her program, after a first half with many errors. Happy to see Dasha smiling, it was definitely better than her SP, but she's still far, far away from her previous season's form.

It was a great competition, all my predictions were literally destroyed, but that's what's fun in FS, right? :biggrin: The japanese girls are all in a great physical shape, Evgenia is clearly evolving, step by step, towards a different (and maybe better?) self, and Liza has all my admiration for recovering, having that 3A back, and still being able to skate at such a high level. Next stop, Finlandia, where I hope Alina will continue her winning streak and delight us again with amazing performances.:pray:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The judges were too harsh on Medvedeva. Especially Mr. Prins from the Netherlads. 7.75 to Evgenija and 9.00 to Mako for music interpretation? I don't know where he looked but definitely not on the ice. Medvedeva skated tango much more involved this time. I thought: Wow, she is back. Mako's FP is generic and boring, on the other hand. But she is consistent
- I can't deny it.

Zhenya might rethink her multiple lutz strategy - it does not seem to work so far.

It's a pity that Liza fell. But I am happy that she won it. She was lowballed in SP - this infamous -1 call for a perfect 3A....

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mako should have won the free IMO. It was the best skated program of the night.
Can't understand how her flip can get an e but Medcedeva's first lutz just a !

binky

Rinkside
Medvedeva was the class of the night. with a complex and beautifully skated program but what about the two music choices for her. the first doesnt suit her and the second is very hard to connec t to. what do you think?