2018 Skate Canada Men's Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Men's Free Skate

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uh, that protocol is raising my eyebrows.

J8 gave Uno a -2 for his fall on the 3A-1Lo-3F. Same judge then gave a -5 to Brendan for his 1Lo pop which while it wasn't planned and wasn't pretty, wasn't horrible either.

Also, those GOEs for Jason's 3A-3T are way not high enough. That thing was money.

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the medalists :clap:

If Keegan stays being consistent on his jumps, he will be a threat in this season. I hope he does good in the next competition and am looking forward to seeing different sides from him in new programs if he competes next year :)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
That's some serious Canadaflation for Keegan. But wait, I thought the Russians were the only ones who home-cooked?

Until Brendan learns to skate somewhat clean, his marks are deserved even though some may not like 'em. Until then, no surprises here. :shrug:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
But I would say that Shoma was in another league above him, not one point. I'm not saying Keegan's too high, but that Shoma is too low. 93ish sounds better.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
well, keegan got 85.44 pcs at olympics which was held in korea and 83.14 pcs at worlds which was held in italy. Given that he has improved from last season and from these performances, a few points more is not that much of a stretch :confused2:.

Preach. Especially because both his Olympic and Worlds FS were more error-ridden than this one, I have no beef whatsoever with Keegan's PCS going up. Keegan didn't need homecooking to earn his score at all.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
But I would say that Shoma was in another league above him, not one point. I'm not saying Keegan's too high, but that Shoma is too low. 93ish sounds better.

PCS is not going to be that high with a fall in the program anymore, and Shoma fell twice.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Per the protocols, Junhwan had about a 2.6 TES advantage in the free. I think Keegan warrants higher PCS than Junhwan (particularly in things like interpretation). Probably not as big a gap as there was, but at most we’re talking a point’s difference in the free. Nowhere near enough to reverse the overall result.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Did you also notice how winded Shoma was at the end (in addition to the falls)? I think in the last third, he was really losing speed and lacking in ice coverage. Judges take those things into account in evaluating PCS.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker

How? <9.50 in SS, TR, and CO, <9.0 in PE and IE if the programme contains a fall or a serious error. Assuming max possible values in a programme with a fall, that’s 89.5 as the upper limit. 93 is not an option. 87.22 is quite close to the limit as is.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Did you also notice how winded Shoma was at the end (in addition to the falls)? I think in the last third, he was really losing speed and lacking in ice coverage. Judges take those things into account in evaluating PCS.

Re 'wind', he looked like a heart attack waiting to happen. I know it's early but stamina was an issue for him this weekend, more so than others.

moriel

Record Breaker
Really Karne ... must you start!?!

It's clear there was no major or obvious judging issue at the Skate Canada event thus far...

Specifically, in terms of the men, almost everyone (as per all the previous comments) is in agreement that the 'best 3 men' made the podium. :medal"

Simply because you (and a few others) may have wished for a swap among the top 3 (I'm assuming Messing & Cha, given your specifc mention of 'Canadaflation') that does not automatically equate to 'poor judging'! [I'd argue it equates more to simply 'sour grapes' on your part for 'stirring the pot' unnecessarily!]

I.M.O. of course.

G'day
SowCow

I find the judging debatable on this event, but in men the right guys are on podium
considering how judging goes those days, if that happens, i wont complain.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, Keegan got 85.44 PCS at Olympics which was held in Korea and 83.14 PCS at Worlds which was held in Italy. Given that he has improved from last season and from these performances, a few points more is not that much of a stretch :confused2:.

I am more "concerned" about the pcs of Chen and all. They should not be anywhere near Chan who should be ahead of Hanyu who should be ahead of Fernandez who should be ahead of these top contenders. The only one who right now who could be close to Chanis Brown but he has far too many issues right now.

CongratsI knew Shoma would do it and he did. It was pretty commanding. Keegan sells his two programs and if he can increase the consistency and quads who knows. Jason had some wonderful moments and moved up - good for him. Feel a bit bad for Roman - he deserves not to belast but life isn't fair. Cha was greatasI anticipated. AT times I see some Yuzuru in him. So far in the men Shoma and Nathan look to bethe cream of the crop. I think that skate should give Jason some confidence though I am a bit concerned about the quad situation.

Now is Keegan kind of the"new" Jason/Jeffrey Buttle/Patrick Chan. Not technically there in the jumps but pretty darn good especially with the skating skills and performance?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I find the judging debatable on this event, but in men the right guys are on podium
considering how judging goes those days, if that happens, i wont complain.

I am not really sure the placements were that debatable. Besides Keegan had a lead over Cha and like Lambiel, Buttle, Chan his skating skills and pcs should be higher than Cha's substantially.