• Alexander MAJOROV

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Jason BROWN

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Country
Russia
Men in order of Season Best of this season (got at Challenger Series and previous GP Events)
In ( ) - previous best, only for skaters who have not best of this season.

1 Shoma UNO JPN 276.20
2 Junhwan CHA KOR 259.78
3 Keegan MESSING CAN 257.16
4 Brendan KERRY AUS (236.24)
5 Roman SADOVSKY CAN 233.86
6 Jason BROWN USA 233.23
7 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 227.12
8 Alexander MAJOROV SWE 226.64
9 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 216.74
10 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 215.69
11 Nam NGUYEN CAN 213.52
12 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 197.80

laiyamanika

On the Ice
It's going to be Shoma Uno

But I have a soft spot for Riverdance so I'm (secretly) cheering for Kazuki Tomono as well

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Probably the most interesting Men's field for me, A LOT of skaters who can potentially medal (see page from Brezina's page at SA). I count on great performances and Kevin already won me over with his material, I pull for him so much!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Other than Shoma, the men results can really end up anywhere. All three medalists from last year are here.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Of course, I want all men to skate well, but I have a special wish regarding Roman and Nam, and I'd really love them to be on the podium or close. Nam has improved a lot, and I think what he needs now is confidence. Roman is a wild card in my mind. He is extremely talented, but I wonder if he trains well enough. Kegan looks very well right now, and I hope he keeps this trend. Men skating has become more unpredictable. The crazy quadruples may be tricky for any skater, and without 2 or more good quads, chances of winning big competitions are slim.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Wow, 93% for Shoma! That may be the biggest lead I have seen in a poll :laugh:

Country
Russia
Men - best scores in SP and FS.
SP:
1 Shoma UNO JPN 104.15
2 Keegan MESSING CAN 90.63
3 Junhwan CHA KOR 90.56
4 Jason BROWN USA 88.90
5 Nam NGUYEN CAN 80.28
6 Alexander MAJOROV SWE 78.76
7 Roman SADOVSKY CAN 78.14
8 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 76.30
9 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 75.47
10 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 71.60
11 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 64.19
FS:
1 Shoma UNO JPN 172.05
2 Junhwan CHA KOR 169.22
3 Keegan MESSING CAN 166.53
4 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 162.93
5 Roman SADOVSKY CAN 155.72
6 Alexander MAJOROV SWE 147.78
7 Jason BROWN USA 144.33
8 Nam NGUYEN CAN 143.13
9 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 141.27
10 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 139.39
11 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 126.87

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Aside from Shoma, men’s is really hard to predict.

My thoughts on a few of the other guys:

Jun looked pretty strong at ACI. He did lose a couple of levels and had one <, so the question for him is whether he will pick up a couple more points by correcting those errors, and whether his PCS - which was relatively low - will increase. The other question, I guess, is whether as a new senior he will be consistent or have ups and downs.

Keegan also looks quite strong right now, with a SB that’s more than 20 points higher than Jason’s and Roman’s. Aside from losing levels on a couple of spins and his step sequence, Keegan was pretty clean at Nebelhorn, but it looks like he may have popped an intended 4T-3T to a 3T-3T. It also looks like he’ll upgrade his 3Z to a 4Z at some point, though not necessarily for this competition. If he skates clean here, he could also pick up a few extra points in PCS. He can sometimes be a bit inconsistent, but it’s too early to say for this year. He could potentially challenge Jun for silver on a good day, and could well take bronze - but if he has a bad day, the door is open.

Since Roman doesn’t have a lot of senior level experience, it’s hard to say about him. At ACI, he fell in both programs (3x total), was called for a couple of <, lost points on a +REP, lost more points in negative GOE due to falls, and got pretty low PCS for the quality of his skating. He still managed to take bronze because Jason fell apart in the FS. If his medal at ACI has given him confidence and his errors there were mostly due to nerves rather than technical issues, he could score much higher here and challenge for a medal.

Jason is probably the biggest wild card in the competition. His SP had an < and a few uncharacteristic errors, but he still scored close to 90, as he did pretty much all last year. But his FS was a disaster- two pops (on quad/3A), two <, and PCS 5-7 points lower than his average on a good day. He failed to medal and scored 40 points lower than his PB under the old system (there’s now one less jump, so they’re not fully comparable). Whether we’ll see something similar here as he gets used to a new technique and new coaches, or he’ll show improvement, is really hard to say. His three < may also factor in if they’re a problem under the new, more stringent rule. I’m not fond of the FS music or costume, and if judges feel the same, that could impact his scores, too.

I’ve got to go back to work now - but maybe someone else has time to look at some of the other guys?

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Other than Shoma, hoping for Junhwan, Jason, Nam, and Keegan to medal.

That’s too many lol - should be a good competition!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm surprised Kevin is getting more shout-outs here yet, given his FS performance at Autumn Classic. That being said, I don't have confidence yet in his consistency myself and don't have him in the top 6 for my predictions.

I think outside Shoma winning, I'm feeling fairly confident that Keegan will land on the podium.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I think it's a three-way race primarily for just two medals between Jason, Jun and Keegan (woo alphabetical order!) with Roman, Kevin Aymoz and Alexander Samarin as dark horses.

I am SO excited to see this line-up live....it really is a good one.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m not fond of the FS music or costume, and if judges feel the same, that could impact his scores, too.
Measuring how much music selection impacts scores is pretty much impossible to do conclusively, but I think the weight of evidence favours that it usually doesn't. I don't think any program from a major contender has ever gotten as much flak in recent memory as the infamous "Candyman" (and not in the sense that people on these boards were complaining; that was a case where TV commentators were regularly trying to find polite ways to say that they hated it), and Tarasova/Morozov still got ace scores with it when they did the elements well. If Jason executes his content, he'll score very nicely.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
This and NHK are probably the only two events I’m confident enough to try predicting the gold medalist :laugh:
Not so sure on the rest of the podium but from previous competitions I would say Keegan, Junhwan or Jason? Really want Kazuki to do well here though... so a medal for him would be a personal wish.
Oh and I’m quite looking forward to Aymoz as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Shoma Uno will be on the podium surely, but who else, LOL.... I have a soft spot for Junhwan Cha, Nam Nguyen, Roman Sadovsky and Keegan Messing, so hoping that two of them will stand on the podium, too.

I also hope that the technical panel will be as strict as in Skate America!!! Not wishing to see any jumps with UR´s getting full credit as triples or quads...

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm going to be up at the wee hours of the night for this, but how can I not cheer for darling Junhwan? :laugh: :luv17: Also rooting for Kazuki and Jason :cheer:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I cannot see anyone finishing ahead of Shoma, but everything is possible for the podium between Messing, Junhwan, Sadovsky and Samarin. Haven't made my mind up for the predictions yet.

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm surprised Kevin is getting more shout-outs here yet, given his FS performance at Autumn Classic. That being said, I don't have confidence yet in his consistency myself and don't have him in the top 6 for my predictions.

I think outside Shoma winning, I'm feeling fairly confident that Keegan will land on the podium.

I'll give a shout-out to Kevin :hap10: I loved his FS at AC, and hopefully he'll land the jumps better in the SP this time so he can get a better placement going into the free.... It's just a shame we won't hear Ted commentating this time around, I think he enjoys Kevin's skating!

Glad he got a second GP at IdF as well :)