2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Wanna hear the latest news? Rika has a flutz. She did not remove the lutz from her program because of injury but because of “edge problems“. Don‘t believe me? Just ask RusFed. Or better don‘t if you don‘t want to get a letter kindly asking you to “look into the inconsistencies of your statements“. :devil:

https://mobile.twitter.com/quadLz/status/1198317400342614017

Someone says that but is it true? Is this officially RusFed saying it? The translation doesnt add much help and I do not read Russian

Joekaz

On the Ice
well, the execution part is subjective. But matter of fact, 3As without the full set of triples do not give enough advantage to Rika right now.
She needs a full set of triples to milk the advantage 3As give her.
You have to assume going forward that Alena's PCS will rise after a head to head victory over Kihira. That's how skating works.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
???? What are you talking about ????

Here is the link from RusFeds official website, where they posted that Rika supposedly did not jump a Lutz in order to avoid getting called/problems on her edge, which is complete rubbish
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4778-alena...a-bronzu-obe-rossiyanki-probilis-v-final.html

I was reading the comments and got confused

Don't mind me, I'm on IV medications, sorry.

Hmmm

The person who wrote that has an obvious bias and clearly dislikes Rika, but that is not what I should consider an official RusFed statement.

The link by the way does not contain the passage about Rika's Lutz edge only mentioning her injury

Probable it was removed because that is NOT the view of the federation itself but the person who wrote the news article

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I was reading the comments and got confused

Don't mind me, I'm on IV medications, sorry.

Hmmm

The person who wrote that has an obvious bias and clearly dislikes Rika, but that is not what I should consider an official RusFed statement.

The link by the way does not contain the passage about Rika's Lutz.

Probable it was removed because that is NOT the view of the federation itself but the person who wrote the news article
???The comment by the author about Rika's Lutz is still there!
The article was posted on their official website

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
???The comment by the author about Rika's Lutz is still there!
The article was posted on their official website

Copied directly (translated in Chrome) from the website, I have that article open right now

"As for the Japanese Ricky Kihira , at the Grand Prix at home, she made purely two 3 axels in the program (in a cascade with a 2nd sheepskin coat and solo), but did not take risks - she replaced the 4th salchow with a triple one. The judges also noted a shortage on the 3rd sheepskin coat in a cascade with a 3rd flip. In addition, the athlete did not perform LUTZ in the program in order to avoid problems with the rib."

NOTHING about edges

As an aside I love how to loop becomes sheepskin coat lol

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Copied directly (translated in Chrome) from the website, I have that article open right now

"As for the Japanese Ricky Kihira , at the Grand Prix at home, she made purely two 3 axels in the program (in a cascade with a 2nd sheepskin coat and solo), but did not take risks - she replaced the 4th salchow with a triple one. The judges also noted a shortage on the 3rd sheepskin coat in a cascade with a 3rd flip. In addition, the athlete did not perform LUTZ in the program in order to avoid problems with the rib."

NOTHING about edges
Rib=edge

Google translators always translate the Russian word for edge as rib.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Are you sure about that? I'm going by translation here and it translates to rib using various sources

Edge in Russian is край/kray

Here is the russian

Что касается японки Рики Кихиры, то на домашнем Гран-при она сделала в программе чисто два 3-х акселя (в каскаде с 2-м тулупом и сольный), но не стала рисковать - заменила 4-й сальхов тройным. Судьи также отметили недокрут на 3-м тулупе в каскаде с 3-м флипом. Кроме того, спортсменка не исполняла в программе лутц, дабы избежать проблем с ребром.

край is not even there

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Are you sure about that? I'm going by translation here and it translates to rib using various sources

Edge in Russian is край/kray

Here is the russian

Что касается японки Рики Кихиры, то на домашнем Гран-при она сделала в программе чисто два 3-х акселя (в каскаде с 2-м тулупом и сольный), но не стала рисковать - заменила 4-й сальхов тройным. Судьи также отметили недокрут на 3-м тулупе в каскаде с 3-м флипом. Кроме того, спортсменка не исполняла в программе лутц, дабы избежать проблем с ребром.

край is not even there

Misha, Lunalovesskating is right.
Another stupid move of our federation. The right hand does not know what the left is doing.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Misha, Lunalovesskating is right.
Another stupid move of our federation. The right hand does not know what the left is doing.

Oh dear. What are they thinking?!

Maybe it is not deliberate? That maybe someone heard the reason wrong.
Mistranslations happen

Sorry Lunalovesskating, I wasn't suggesting you were wrong but confused by the translations.
And wary that translation and miscommunication issues cause problems

yulikali

Rinkside
"Ребро" means the edge of a blade, knife or even a stair, if you want
"Край" also means edge, but has the nuance of "end", like how you would say 'the edge of the world' if we were living on a disc. My Russian is rusty but I believe there's no mistranslation here

gotoschool

Medalist
You have to go to a good translator and only translate the word, ребром, and then on edge comes up. c ребром means with ribs because the concept of with the edge is a technical reference to skating and highly unusual for a general translator, so the translation is: in order to avoid problems with the edge. I can understand most of what is written without the translator and I think this is accurate. This strikes me as a provocative and contradictory comment but so does the relative underscoring of Japanese women in this event. They are both inconsistencies that need to be corrected. I think they may be trying to turn truth on its head instead to get another edge in scoring by pulling their next tech move in their game of political chess. I remember how Mishin tried to politick by saying that Liza was the only woman who rotated her triple axel after Mao landed some impressive early season triple axels in 2015.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
The judging was quite lenient in general but as usual not exactly the model of consistency. NHK is hardly alone in that.

As for the Russian news article. Not sure what to make of it, who writes their news articles?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Was it an opinion piece? Even Russians are allowed to have opinions.

It was a statement not an opinion. A summary of the NHK results.

Idk maybe that was their uninformed opinion why Rika didn't jump 3Lz, maybe the writer of the news article made assumptions or misunderstood something, which is easy to do.
I can sort of see why such a thing could happen.

Who knows, it's obviously an untrue statement but we do not know how it got to be there, through a genuine error, misunderstanding, uninformed assumption or blatant lie?