2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There’s no way Trusova should come close to Aliona with PCS. That’s something fans should be concerned with instead of whining about skaters being dinged for URs and time deductions.

Their PCS scores from different judging panels don't mean much. We'll only know how they compare when they perform in the same event.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We have seen everyone but Satoko now

#1 Alexandra Trusova (240 - 250)

#2-3 Rika Kihira (230 - 240) +2 I don't see Rika without lutzes beating Alyona. But those who make decisions can.

#2-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 245) Alyona's SP score below what Young You received a week ago is a joke for me. But not for someone else. Hence, who will win, she or Rika if both are clean at NHK is not obvious.

#4 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240) +0.5 Anna's big handicap is the short program. Then she depends on 2 quad lutz and saying that it is risky is an understatement.

#5 Alina Zagitova (220 - 230) -2.5 I still believe that some of the tech calls that Alina received during IdF were a one-time misunderstanding. But it is possible that it was not. If this happens again and she won't make it to GPF after NHK she will lose all the power before the Rusnats and will likely leave the ranking after the New Year. Who would think?

#6 Young You (215-225)

#7-8 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) -0.5

Bradie is no llonger the clear #1 in the US team.

#7-8 Mariah Bell (210 - 220) new Mariah is a solid skater whose tech skills were highly appreciated by otherwise extra scrupulous tech team at IdF. She is 23 - could be a new embodiment of "mature skating" now that Liza went out of favor.

#9 Evgeniya Medvedeva (205 - 220) -1

#10 -11 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215) +0.5

After recent technical calls of Russian skaters and Kaori who joined them I am curious what will happen with Satoko. We shall see soon.

#10-11 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (205 - 215) +0.5

Kaori has left my list for now. She will likely reappear after the Russian team is announced.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Given the strictness, harshness even, of GPdeFrance's tech and judging panel these scores aren't really comparable, are they?

I am all for strict and fair judging, but it has to be applied to all events over the GP, so your statistics don't get skewed.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Alyona's FS score probably came the closest to being fair I guess... around 160 is what I had hoped for.

A less strict SP should be over 80.
Or even if someone agrees with the 3A UR close to it

lzxnl

Final Flight
Alyona's FS score probably came the closest to being fair I guess... around 160 is what I had hoped for.

I think overall Alena's scores are fair. A strange UR call in the short, an uncalled UR in the free. Her score can rise to about 4.5 points more than what she got here in TES, although her PCS is actually quite fair (she's not performing these programs as well as she can, I feel. We'll have to see at NHK or GPF). 245 is a fair ceiling for her.

I'm hoping Rika's ankle heals sufficiently for a full-powered contest against Alena at NHK. It's three more weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I think overall Alena's scores are fair. A strange UR call in the short, an uncalled UR in the free. Her score can rise to about 4.5 points more than what she got here in TES, although her PCS is actually quite fair (she's not performing these programs as well as she can, I feel. We'll have to see at NHK or GPF). 245 is a fair ceiling for her.

I'm hoping Rika's ankle heals sufficiently for a full-powered contest against Alena at NHK. It's three more weeks.

readernick

Medalist
Alena vs. Rika. vs Alina at NHK will be very fabulous. If Rika isn't healed or doesn't have her 3Lz back she doesn't stand much of a chance against Alena. However, Rika with her 3Lz vs Aliona it will be a very interesting competition. Love them both, I don't care who wins just as long as they both have clean skates. Alina doesn't look like much of a threat if her edges and URs get called ( the 3Lz3Lo appears to be UR in real time) but if the technical panel is not strict she also has a similar scoring range. It still be interesting!

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Rika's PCS is also a question. It seems like the gap between Aliona and Alina could become closer, but Rika's PCS has generally been lower this season.

ec00834

On the Ice
If Alena and Alina both skate clean, I think their scores will be very close. I doubt either of them will get the strange calls they did at France. Rika without a 3lz and less PCS may be at a disadvantage but then again, it's Japan so she'll probably score very high.

readernick

Medalist
If Alena and Alina both skate clean, I think their scores will be very close. I doubt either of them will get the strange calls they did at France. Rika without a 3lz and less PCS may be at a disadvantage but then again, it's Japan so she'll probably score very high.

I don't really think so, because Aliona's BV is so much higher. Alina is also not backloading her combinations this year. However, I agree that Rika needs her 3lz to compete with Aliona, she doesn't need it to to beat Alina. ( her BV even without 3Lz is still significantly higher) She just needs to be clean

readernick

Medalist
Rika's PCS is also a question. It seems like the gap between Aliona and Alina could become closer, but Rika's PCS has generally been lower this season.

Only at Japan Open which isn't a real competition. At Skate Canada, Rika got 35+ in the sp and 71+ in the fs. Almost 3 points more than Aliona received at GP France between the two programs. Obviously, Alina will get her highest reputation PCS. She will win the PCS.

readernick

Medalist
This is true, but there has to be some conservatism in looking at Aliona's score since it was her debut and seemingly a conservative panel as well.

Yes, perhaps . But, your original statement was that Rika "had" received lower PCS this season and that is not accurate.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yes, perhaps . But, your original statement was that Rika "had" received lower PCS this season and that is not accurate.

Then I should've clarified what I was comparing her PCS to when I said "lower." That's on me for not being clear.

It's not really of interest to me just yet to compare PCS across competitions, especially when the IdF panel was more conservative. Rika is still more steps away from Zhenya-level PCS and closer to Bradie-level PCS than is preferable for her, especially considering what she was getting by GPF last year. And that was with stronger performances at Skate Canada than I've seen from her in a while.

readernick

Medalist
It's not really of interest to me just yet to compare PCS across competitions, especially when the IdF panel was more conservative. Rika is still more steps away from Zhenya-level PCS and closer to Bradie-level PCS than is preferable for her, especially considering what she was getting by GPF last year. And that was with stronger performances at Skate Canada than I've seen from her in a while.

I agree that you shouldn't compare PCS between competitions. However, you are the one who started doing so ����������... by comparing Rika's scores (inaccurately) to Aliona''s. Why do you want to stop now?

Actually, Rika got the highest PCS in the SP (more than Med) at SC . And, in the FS Rika had a slightly higher lead over Tennell than Aliona had over Mariah at GP France. I do I think both would want to score closer to the established competitor ( Alina/Med) than they did. Rika did have a stepout in her program that may have influenced the PCS, so she (like Aliona) has the potential to score higher.

Anyway, we can drop this discussion. You can believe whatever you like about PCS but I just don't like inaccurate statements. Your initial statement was inaccurate. I am very fond of both Aliona and Rika because they are the two most "full package" skaters currently imho. I hope they are both amazing at NHK

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I agree that you shouldn't compare PCS between competitions. However, you are the one who started doing so ����������... by comparing Rika's scores (inaccurately) to Aliona''s. Why do you want to stop now?

Actually, Rika got the highest PCS in the SP (more than Med) at SC . And, in the fs Rika had a slightly higher lead over Tennell than Aliona had over Mariah at GP France. I do I think both would want to score closer to the established competitor ( Alina/Med) than they did. Rika did have a stepout in her program such may have influenced the PCS, so she (like Aliona) had the potential to score higher.

Anyway, we can drop this discussion. You can believe whatever you like about PCS but I just don't like inaccurate statements. Your intial statement was inaccurate. I am very fond of both Aliona and Rika because they are the two most "full package" skaters currently imho. I hope they are both amazing at NHK

I don't really understand why you're fighting. I was saying that her PCS was lower compared to how her PCS was at her peak of last season, and I conceded that I worded it poorly per your comment (which you made multiple edited replies to, making it difficult to respond). Not everything is an attack on a skater. There is a reasonable way to have read my post to see what I meant, but go ahead and continue assuming worst intentions.

readernick

Medalist
I don't really understand why you're fighting. I was saying that her PCS was lower compared to how her PCS was at her peak of last season, and I conceded that I worded it poorly per your comment (which you made multiple edited replies to, making it difficult to respond). Not everything is an attack on a skater. There is a reasonable way to have read my post to see what I meant, but go ahead and continue assuming worst intentions.

I didn't assume the worst intentions. Honestly, Rika did not get much higher PCS last year. Even at GPF 2018, she only got 35.18 in the SP (less than at SC) and 72 in the FS. (just slightly higher than SC) and that is at the GPF were scores usually start to rise. I am sorry if my posts seem like I am fighting with you. I am typing on my phone and, as a result, my sentences are not very elegant. I don't think you meant anything bad in your original post. I just don't think what you wrote was accurate. I apologize for appearing to fight with you. I will chose my words more carefully. next time. I really only wanted to note that her PCS marks have actually not been lower than last year or in comparison to Aliona

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I didn't assume the worst intentions. Honestly, Rika did not get much higher PCS last year. Even at GPF 2018, she only got 35.18 in the SP (less than at SC) and 72 in the FS. (just slightly higher than SC) and that is at the GPF were scores usually start to rise. I am sorry if my posts seem like I am fighting with you. I am typing on my phone and, as a result, my sentences are not very elegant. I don't think you meant anything bad in your original post. I just don't think what you wrote was accurate. I apologize for fighting with you. I will chose my words more carefully next time.

Thanks, and sorry for causing the confusion that led to this.

What I was trying to get at then were the gaps between skaters at the individual competitions. Alina did skate relatively poorly at GPF last year, but that hadn't necessarily hurt her score leading up to it. And Rika got a 35.18 in the SP and a 72.40 in the FS when Alina got a 35.83 and a 72.70. That's suuuuuper close. It took a lot of work for Rika to get that close and seeing the gap between her and Zhenya at Skate Canada (even though she had the stepout, I'm not really sure she would've jumped enough to be close to Zhenya without it) doesn't send the signal that she can catch up to the top PCS-getters immediately like last year. I agree that she's a well-rounded skater that imo was underscored at Skate Canada, but we'll have to see how it turns at (hopefully) at the final with tougher overall competition than last year.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that judges are ready to lavish Rika with PCS that's reserved for Alina/Evgenia/Carolina. She didn't medal at Worlds, ended the season with a less than stellar WTT, and hasn't been consistent enough to win everything. GPF was a culmination of hype and shift in favor as Alina started to regress. Rika lost that momentum at Nationals and Worlds. She's still getting favorable PCS now (35 and 72), but with new stars, I don't see her PCS rising much more after that.

Now with Alena, she's on an upward trajectory and I can see her PCS come close to matching Alina soon. Same for Anna and Trusova, but they have somewhat of a ceiling for now. Unless Alina totally melts down, judges will always reward her with the best PCS.

Edit: What will be interesting is seeing how their PCS will be scored at NHK. Alena on an upward trajectory, Rika on home ice (not likely to affect anything), and Alina at her usual god-tier assuming she's clean - all in one comparable competition.

readernick

Medalist
I'm not convinced that judges are ready to lavish Rika with PCS that's reserved for Alina/Evgenia/Carolina. She didn't medal at Worlds, ended the season with a less than stellar WTT, and hasn't been consistent enough to win everything. GPF was a culmination of hype and shift in favor as Alina started to regress. Rika lost that momentum at Nationals and Worlds. She's still getting favorable PCS now (35 and 72), but with new stars, I don't see her PCS rising much more after that.

I think her FS could get slightly higher PCS than that (perhaps 73) if completely clean. But, basically you are right. Reputation is very important. I don't think anyone is going to get higher than 36/73 PCS until they win a World title. This doesn't just apply to Rika, it applies to the 3A, too. Aliona is truly a special skater and might be able to get past those marks without a World Title but I rather doubt it. Reputation points are very important.