2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 674 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
This round table is only relevant for the judges present at the specific event, but doesn’t seem to have any effect on judges on subsequent events. If the results of round tables, specifically decisions of tech team, are forwarded to the team judging the subsequent event, then please provide the isu document proving that :)

They are not saying it was.

But you would have to be a very ignorant judge not to know that the inconsistent judging between different competitions is an issue

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
They are not saying it was.

But you would have to be a very ignorant judge not to know that the inconsistent judging between different competitions is an issue

Then replying to my comment with a link of that document doesn’t make sense :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
As for feeding 'conspiration theories', what about #TeamTutberidzeForProgress' proud, bold and challenging hashtag 'xDown(6-x)ToGo'? Could ISU somehow have taken offence to this proclamation and decided to knock them down a peg or two?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
There is a difference between "wuzrobbing" and "conspiracies".

We all do "wuzrobbing". My fav skater didn't the right call, her direct opponent got an easy call. She didn't finish where she should have. Unfair, I tell you, unfair:ddevil:

Conspiracy is trying to explain that through personal bias or vendetta, bias against a country, bias against a skater, without direct proof. And proof is *not* aha, the judge did X, Y, Z in the past, or the judge is from such and such a country or is such and such a skater's coach's uncle's mail person. Please:biggrin:

Trying to couch a conspiracy theory under oh, I'm just trying to figure it out, doesn't stop it from being a conspiracy theory. No, it's still a conspiracy theory, because there's nothing to figure out:laugh: You think the judge made a bad call, and maybe they did. See point A: "wuzzrobbing".

And so it goes.....

According to the GS definition, conspiracy post is "groundless claims of any sort". I've already said that. Saying e.g. that someone is receiving high PCS "just because whatever" is no less groudless claim if it doesn't say anything what you impose here. Pure asking why something happens isn't conspiracy theory, or else any question could be called conspiracy theory then.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Sinitsyna just competed at her best in JGP and made the finals. AFAIK, no new program content was shown in Riga, so no need to calibrate her program content.
But some behavioural issues suddenly became visible. Still don't know what to make of those.

I think it served as a reminder just how young these girls are and the amount of pressure on their shoulders they have.

She's still very much a young teenager who just like any other, can be hot tempered and have a "teen tantrum" when frustrated/upset.

It is unfortunate that this happened in front of cameras but she is young, she will learn to control her emotions.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
As for feeding 'conspiration theories', what about #TeamTutberidzeForProgress' proud, bold and challenging hashtag 'xDown(6-x)ToGo'? Could ISU somehow have taken offence to this proclamation and decided to knock them down a peg or two?

No not really lol... It is just a hashtag/sassy fighting talk

- - - Updated - - -

Then replying to my comment with a link of that document doesn’t make sense :)

Who said there is a document?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
And I really wasn't saying it wasn't discussion worthy. It probably needs it's own thread. I'm all for discussing edge and UR calls in it's own thread if people can be polite about it. We have had such threads and we will have them again. Accusing the ISU of being anti a certain country is not helpful or provable and Golden Skate has rules about conspiracy theories.

I love Satoko. I acknowledge she has major jump issues. If Satoko could jump like Alexandra I would be a very happy camper indeed. But alas.

When I saw Anna skate I didn't see the edge problem but then I never see edge problems. I admire those of you that do see them in real time. I do not. I also didn't see the UR in real time. I didn't watch the slow mo replay because I was doing other things at the time. I knew she had done what she needed to do to win and was impressed with her keeping it together and skating well. Anna should be happy and proud of herself.

I generally agree with this comment.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
According to the GS definition, conspiracy post is "groundless claims of any sort". I've already said that. Saying e.g. that someone is receiving high PCS "just because whatever" is no less groudless claim if it doesn't say anything what you impose here. Pure asking why something happens isn't conspiracy theory, or else could be called conspiracy theory then.

There is a big difference between saying you don't understand why someone is getting the PCS marks they do and claiming that ISU is against your country and trying to cause your skaters to lose.

All of this is beside the point ultimately.

This is the Russian Ladies thread. Let's not clog it up with arguments about what is and is not a conspiracy or edge calls or UR. If you want to talk about that start a thread or find an existing thread to discuss it. This is a thread to discuss Russian Ladies.

All of the rest of this is off topic.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
There is a big difference between saying you don't understand why someone is getting the PCS marks they do and claiming that ISU is against your country and trying to cause your skaters to lose.

All of this is beside the point ultimately.

This is the Russian Ladies thread. Let's not clog it up with arguments about what is and is not a conspiracy or edge calls or UR. If you want to talk about that start a thread or find an existing thread to discuss it. This is a thread to discuss Russian Ladies.

All of the rest of this is off topic.

It is about russian ladies. It is not the case "I don't understand why someone is getting the PCS marks they do". It is "Someone is getting the (of course undeserved) PCS marks because". And the approach to it is very unballanced. But that's everything I wanted to say about it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We had a really confusing time in the French competition thread for ladies last week when one of the posters thought Daniil looked like Ryan Gosling but kept calling him Dudakov. We were puzzled how anyone could think that Dudakov looked like Ryan Gosling. Fun times.

I was looking at the bear. But back to Russian ladies. part of me is so melancholy like I may have seen Liza skate for the last time and Evgenia is next. Too bad they can't be imported to the Ukraine, sweden, Belgium, Germany Australia, Britain or Canada et al where they would be superstars.

It is hard to read the minds of the iSU, but if I were in charge I would love those enthusiastic fan celebrations. More interest in the sport, higher attendance at events, more buzz on social media, more money for everyone! :rock:

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I was looking at the bear. But back to Russian ladies. part of me is so melancholy like I may have seen Liza skate for the last time and Evgenia is next. Too bad they can't be imported to the Ukraine, sweden, Belgium, Germany Australia, Britain or Canada et al where they would be superstars.
Why should they give up? Liza had what 3 seasons that were bad or where she didn't compete and she didn't give up, zhenya also said she wants to skate for a long time, just because they are not winning medals left and right doesn't mean they will give up on what they love most in their life. And theoretical they could change a if they wish, especially zhenya and liza but then they but i think mostly zhenyawould be hated by the Russians. Which is funny cause we have seen a few Russian who have changed the country they compete under and they got no hate at least not that I heard of it. But as a fan I would be totally ok with those 2 changingrather than give up on their career, But I doubt they will ever do it

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don' t know. What AncientPeas speculated about was a "theory," but I wouldn't call it a "conspiracy" theory. In context, a theory is just a possible explanation of events, but a "conspiracy theory" usually involves a claim that someone is up to no good, singling out a particular skater to unfairly pick on, etc.

Now, that is a convenient position. But I don't agree with its logic. There are events, facts. And there are explanations, you may name them theories. Those theories are supported by pictures, videos, and occassionally correlation analysis with the general question: "what are vested interests?" There was a thread about the national bias of judges - this bias has been proven many times so that the claim that judges know better contradicts the analysis. And to me attaching the label "conspiracy theory" to naming judges biased goes too far.

My personal view is not about "singling out a particular skater to unfairly pick on". It is exactly a possible explanation of events one of which is the consistent appointment of "Western countries only" technical teams to ladies events during this year GP series.

There are multiple theories about a plentitude of events in figure skating. They appear here at GS every day, every hour. I just hope that whoever make the decisions (and they like all human beings just cannot be unbiased) will use utmost discretion in establishing a very challenging line between "theories" and "conspiracy theories".

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I look at this whole topic like this.

It's a sport. In any sport there are lots of referee's calls. Some go your way, some go against you. Some are judgment calls that can go either way, some are diagnosed post-mortem as mistakes by the referees. The successful athlete is the one who understands this reality, takes the ups with the downs, and it's on to next week's game!

Bottom line, the job of the athlete is to to seize control of the game and remove the outcome from the hands of the referee. Anna did exactly that at Cup of China. She brought the goods; there was nothing the judges could do to deny her the victory. On to the Finals! :rock:

Let's not forget it's generally not the skaters who have issues with the judging even if they're unhappy with a certain score (apart from a few exceptions).

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
:palmf:

A conspiracy theory is exactly what you just described.
The insinuation that "western countries only" tech panels have been deliberately appointed for some supposed "anti-Russian bias" which would mean the ISU conspired to make it happen...hence, a conspiracy.

It is not even true that there have been all "Western" tech panels anyway so you start with a false premise

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wondered about this too. Perhaps the skaters have to pay their own way, and when there isn't a lot of prize money to be won, don't really bother?
that would be terrible because how can any sixteen-year-old pay her own way to another country to perform? It would be hard to imagine the parents of these kids having enough money to send their prodigy's off to competitions around the world. It's a very tough spot for the parents and the children to be in.