2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Courtney is currently in 2nd place after the SP at SW Regionals with a 51.87, landing 3F+2T, 1A, 3Lo.

Paige Rydberg leads with a big score - 65.31. She landed 3F, 3T+3T, 2A and had high GOE across all elements.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27727/SEGM022.html

Wow, just wow, at Courtney’s score. Not even 52 points? The judges are sending her a clear message.
But congratulations to Paige. She’s been struggling so much since she made her 2017 debut at senior nationals.

macy

Record Breaker
Wow, just wow, at Courtney’s score. Not even 52 points? The judges are sending her a clear message.
But congratulations to Paige. She’s been struggling so much since she made her 2017 debut at senior nationals.

yeah i think the judges have washed their hands of Courtney as of a couple years ago unfortunately, and performances like this don't help. she lost levels on everything and even had PCS over 2 points lower than Paige.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Courtney has no grace whatsoever and her jumps are wild, not going to hold my hopes for her. Amber on the other hand, if she can just get it together she would be a stunning skater. Absolutely loved her short program to Gravity last season.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
It's great to see Rachael Flatt's update on her life. I've always wondered why someone would opt for a Masters and PhD in Psychology rather than become an MD Psychiatrist?

Psychiatry and psychology are two entirely different fields. In the US, psychiatrists write prescriptions. These days, they rarely do “talk therapy”.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
For those who may have been waiting for NBC Gold to make its footage of South Atlantic Regionals available, please note that some events—including the Senior Ladies’ LP, featuring Gracie Gold’s She Used to be Mine—are available as of today, in the Replays section.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Courtney has no grace whatsoever and her jumps are wild, not going to hold my hopes for her.

Yeah, she desperately needs a jump expert to help her, although it might be too late to break her bad habits now. I can't think of another skater as talented as Courtney who has more trouble checking her rotation when she lands her triples. I suspect this might be the reason she transitioned to doing loop combos instead of toe combos, giving her a chance to use that momentum to propel her into the second jump.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I love the comment Courtney didn't even get 52 pts - well she was darn close. It is sad to see a skater who we thought and some still do h ad such great promise seem to struggle. Though she is not out of it yet and still can make Nationals. She probably has a better chance or at least equal of making it with Gracie Gold. Even if things don't work outif she is interested in skating there are opportunities on cruise ships et al. They would love Courtney.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bradie appears to have one of the American spots. I believe they have two at worlds so with Liu not eligible and Ting apparently out the obvious choice is Mariah and Karen but the door is open so anyone could skate through. A triple axel is not required at least right now in the US though it certainly wouldn't hurt.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Karen and Mariah fill a similar role (strong PCS skater with spotty tech). I do think when Karen's on, she can surpass Mariah on those marks, but Mariah has also built up a fair amount of credibility from last season.

Shani

On the Ice
I would be very surprized if Liu wasn't very high or repeat U.S.champion given the tech content. Everything else is up for grabs placement wise as both Mariah and Bradie had enough PCS to beat her if clean. Scores still show they could beat her if they are very very clean and hold their pcs. I think no-one is a lock on the world team yet until Nationals and Grand Prix season is over.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would be very surprized if Liu wasn't very high or repeat U.S.champion given the tech content. Everything else is up for grabs placement wise as both Mariah and Bradie had enough PCS to beat her if clean. Scores still show they could beat her if they are very very clean and hold their pcs. I think no-one is a lock on the world team yet until Nationals and Grand Prix season is over.

As strong as the international field is, I don't think any of the US women will grab a World spot on the basis of their GP performance. Even earning a GP bronze will be a great achievement for any of them. When Ashley missed the the Nationals podium by one spot and still got sent to Sochi, it was hugely controversial even though she had GP gold and silver that season, plus a GPF bronze. I can't see any of the US women coming close to those results this year.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

natsulian

Final Flight
With the first half of the Challenger events having concluded, here is my current ranking of our senior ladies:

1. Bradie Tennell, 200-225 - Strong technical content, improved performance skills, and a work ethic many would kill for

2. Mariah Bell, 200-215 - Great start to the season, improved jumps, newfound confidence and wants to build off of where she left last season

3. Karen Chen, 170-205 - Amazing skater with a stupendous presence, but needs to work on consistency

4. Starr Andrews, 170-195 - Improved posture, skating and performance skills, consistent triple-triple, and simply needs to grow into her programs

5. Amber Glenn, 170-190 - Great start to the season, but the challenge for her will be to put together two strong skates

I hope Megan can skate cleanly. With Ting hopefully coming back for the second half of the season, I think Nationals will be very interesting. Hanna Harrell, Pooja Kalyan, and Ting could all surprise in the second half of the season.

readernick

Medalist
Bradie appears to have one of the American spots. I believe they have two at worlds so with Liu not eligible and Ting apparently out the obvious choice is Mariah and Karen but the door is open so anyone could skate through. A triple axel is not required at least right now in the US though it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I don't think Karen is a very obvious choice. The UR problems are still very much an issue. At this time, Bradie and Mariah seem pretty safe.

readernick

Medalist
Karen and Mariah fill a similar role (strong PCS skater with spotty tech). I do think when Karen's on, she can surpass Mariah on those marks, but Mariah has also built up a fair amount of credibility from last season.

Mariah has less issues with URs. She might UR her 3-3 but her other jumps rarely get UR calls. The same can't be said for Karen. Karen is a nice skater and a beautiful spinner but those qualities just aren't enough to make up for the huge UR problem. Athis time, I think she has far lower scoring potential unless a tech panel chooses to be blind.