2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 206 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Keegan is a different category; he has dual US/Canadian citizenship through his mother. Unless Canada changes its citizenship laws, we kind of had to accept his decision to skate for Canada.

Well since we have gone through the rabbit hole and are so far off topic - Canada should be grateful for keegan . Those Canadian boys seem like a great group of brothers - Roman,Keegan and Nam. They defninitely aren't like the bickering Evan and Johnny. It is fun to see how playful and fun those boys are.

princessalica

Final Flight
She looks great but she doesn't have great carriage. I know she is y oung but she does not walk the swagger in these photos. Great outfts but a beautiful confident person can wear jeans and a button down shirt and have a glow, a glamour about them.
We are a very shallow society sometimes. And Gracie has the face.

But in 2014-2016 Gracie did have quite a few sponsorship deals - She and Ashley both worked with Covergirl, Gracie was featured on the United Airlines, Gracie had RedBull, she even was invited to Japan for a makeup line there. Gracie did and does have more of the it factor that attracts sponsors. She is currently sponsored by Julep, as I know has been discussed in here and was obvious with all of the merch she was wearing. They did photo shoots and other promos right after nationals in NYC. They had a skate with Gracie at Bryant park. And Gracie's story is good. In some ways skating is hard to predict. I think that in 2016 most assumed that the 2018 Olympic team would be the same as the 2014 team. Gracie and Ashley were at their peak, and in the beginning of 2016 at Nationals and after Polina was on the rise. Even after Gracie faltered in her World Long program, I don't think anyone could have predicted the next several years in her life, and it seemed like losing Gracie, Ashley lost her fire too. I think that the competition between the two with Polina nipping at their heals and a young Karen right below her inspired Gracie and Ashley to fight harder and train harder. So Yes, Bradie and MAriah and Alysa could be the team in 2022, but also it could be a drastically different roster. It could be Gracie in the mix, it could be Hanna Harrel or Ting, it could be Amber Glenn, or it could be someone that we don't even really have on our radar right now. But if Gracie makes the team in 2022, she would be media Gold, and I wouldn't even be surprised to see a made for TV (or made for Netflix) movie of her story. Because she's got a good story. And she's got a good face and she has a good name too, made for this sport. I remember maybe it was 2016 nationals or even a few years earlier, but they showed pictures from Gracie and Ashley's social media of them in snow - kind of how I spent my christmas break, and Ashley's was sexy like a hottub in the snow in a bikini and Gracie was in this cute big sweater, and it was adorable and wholesome and 100% girl next door. So they had the brash outspoken a little wild Ashley and then they had girl next door Gracie (at least that was what was portrayed in the media, I do l know that Gracie in real like is very sarcastic.) But they had media gold with the pair and then Polina was the threat to them. Like movie/tv gold.

I think why Michelle did so much better than Tara or Sarah was that she had longevity that they didn't have. She was on the radar to go in 1994, and was training to go in case Tonya didn't. (I remember watching her on the news during all of that hoop la). And then she barely missed gold to her fellow country woman, while being at the time the greatest in the world, and then Tara retired, and we still had Michelle who was still expected to win gold where ever she went. And then four years later, Michelle was still amazing and she lost to Sarah who had a lights out skate. But Sarah was considered the 3rd on the team, and she skated an amazing skate and won gold. And that was a cool underdog story, but it can't beat Michelle's longevity in the sport. And then she petitioned to be on the team in 2006 and was granted the spot because well... she was Michelle Kwan. She didn't skate, but that is 4 Olympic cycles that she was in the media for, in contention for gold in most of them. Of course the media recognizes her. She had that "it" factor and she stayed a round. I mean I still have my Olympic Barbie that has Tara on the back, but Michelle had so much longer in the spot to establish herself and make it so that she was unforgettable.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely agree with you. Would like Canadian ladies to do better, but the US should just hang on to their own skaters; don't even think about pawning them off on us.

It takes a lot more to thrill Canadians than many outsiders realize.

Edited to add:
No disrespect to the named US skaters intended. They all get a lot of unwarranted criticism.

Seems to me Canadians were delighted to get American Deanna Stellato---at least I've read lots of positive posts about her skating pairs for Canada. Only problem is that she hasn't been released by USFS. US skaters don't get 'pawned off' by their federation.

ssffww

On the Ice
Absolutely agree with you. Would like Canadian ladies to do better, but the US should just hang on to their own skaters; don't even think about pawning them off on us.

Foreign media are also reporting that Canadians are thrilled that Megan and Harry are going to live part-time in Canada, whereas most Canadians are actually saying, "Well, I guess it's ok, as long as we don't have to pay for their security. We won't have to pay for their security, will we?"

It takes a lot more to thrill Canadians than many outsiders realize.

Edited to add:
No disrespect to the named US skaters intended. They all get a lot of unwarranted criticism.

So far as I know, we have not plans to "pawn off" any skaters on Canada or any other nations.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But in 2014-2016 Gracie did have quite a few sponsorship deals - She and Ashley both worked with Covergirl, Gracie was featured on the United Airlines, Gracie had RedBull, she even was invited to Japan for a makeup line there. Gracie did and does have more of the it factor that attracts sponsors.

A lot of Gracie's appeal was that she was at the very top of the sport at that time, so it was both her looks and athletic prowess that helped her secure those. Even in Sochi, she was promoted as a gold medal hopeful when she wasn't actually a top contender. I think if she gets a bit more traction in her comeback, she can work the underdog angle and get some sponsors behind her. At the end of the day, she is an athlete first to these sponsors so she'll need some good results soon to keep them interested.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think why Michelle did so much better than Tara or Sarah was that she had longevity that they didn't have. She was on the radar to go in 1994, and was training to go in case Tonya didn't. (I remember watching her on the news during all of that hoop la). And then she barely missed gold to her fellow country woman, while being at the time the greatest in the world, and then Tara retired, and we still had Michelle who was still expected to win gold where ever she went. And then four years later, Michelle was still amazing and she lost to Sarah who had a lights out skate. But Sarah was considered the 3rd on the team, and she skated an amazing skate and won gold. And that was a cool underdog story, but it can't beat Michelle's longevity in the sport. And then she petitioned to be on the team in 2006 and was granted the spot because well... she was Michelle Kwan. She didn't skate, but that is 4 Olympic cycles that she was in the media for, in contention for gold in most of them. Of course the media recognizes her. She had that "it" factor and she stayed a round. I mean I still have my Olympic Barbie that has Tara on the back, but Michelle had so much longer in the spot to establish herself and make it so that she was unforgettable.

I think it was because she was the Kween!

natsulian

Final Flight
Bavarian Open Entries:
- Ellen Slavicek (Jr.)
- Elsa Cheng (Jr.)

Challenge Cup Entries:
- Sierra Venetta (Sr.)
- Tamnhi Huynh (Jr.)
- Hannah Herrera (Jr.)
- Alina Bonillo (Adv. Nov.)
- Isabelle Emler (Adv. Nov.)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Bavarian Open Entries:
- Ellen Slavicek (Jr.)
- Elsa Cheng (Jr.)

Challenge Cup Entries:
- Sierra Venetta (Sr.)
- Tamnhi Huynh (Jr.)
- Hannah Herrera (Jr.)

A pity these are all skaters I don't really know.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember maybe it was 2016 nationals or even a few years earlier, but they showed pictures from Gracie and Ashley's social media of them in snow - kind of how I spent my christmas break, and Ashley's was sexy like a hottub in the snow in a bikini and Gracie was in this cute big sweater, and it was adorable and wholesome and 100% girl next door. So they had the brash outspoken a little wild Ashley and then they had girl next door Gracie .... Like movie/tv gold.

:rock: :clap:

Exactly on point. You've identified part of what made Ashley and Gracie such a sensational story. Then add to that their different strengths in skating programs. Mmmmwaaaah.:love:

p.s. there's no "Kiss" emoji in our "bank." Harumph.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Speaking of the IT factor, I think Alysa is conventionally absolutely gorgeous. Really lovely features.

She's also so fun and cute on Instagram. That bright smile is infectious. Her love of gelato, boba and food in general amuses me greatly.

I'd wager that any Olympic medal in her case will probably bring a tonne of endorsements.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, she has the cute & bubbly & comfortable in front of a camera persona. Very young Dominique Moceanu-esque.

brightphoton

Medalist
So far as I know, we have not plans to "pawn off" any skaters on Canada or any other nations.

We did "pawn off" Alexia Paganini to Switzerland a few years ago. Recently she got a strong 4th place at the European championships. She would've been a good addition to Team USA. We've lost a few members to Team China too. I wonder what we need to do to keep other countries from poaching our skaters.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Bavarian Open Entries:
- Ellen Slavicek (Jr.)
- Elsa Cheng (Jr.)

Challenge Cup Entries:
- Sierra Venetta (Sr.)
- Tamnhi Huynh (Jr.)
- Hannah Herrera (Jr.)

Don’t know the novices in challenge cup but... Sierra in Sr!! Yes!!!! Sierra said in press at nationals that her biggest dream was to represent the USA in an international competition! Well there you go. Makes me happy to see this, her long program was so so clean at nats. Best of luck to everyone.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We did "pawn off" Alexia Paganini to Switzerland a few years ago. Recently she got a strong 4th place at the European championships. She would've been a good addition to Team USA. We've lost a few members to Team China too. I wonder what we need to do to keep other countries from poaching our skaters.

It is an interesting question. Does Team China provide more funding?

Ever since I first got Icenetwork, eons ago, I’ve seen many young ladies born in the US skating for other countries. For some reason 4CCs come to mind. I always figured that their coaching team/family/themselves had decided their level of talent was such that they could skate internationally for small feds or stay in US and duke it out every year at Regionals/Sectionals to see if they could make US Nationals. (Obviously that doesn’t apply to China).