2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 205 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, whether someone has “magic” or “pizazz” is obviously subjective. Second, why are you commenting about Jason and Nathan in the ladies thread? Third, what do you mean by saying that “Jason scores well apparently with young girls but in my marketing class eh did not score well for like athletic gear or male hygiene products or fashion”? Did you conduct studies of Jason’s or Nathan’s or Bradie’s marketability to various demographic groups or did you read studies conducted by others (and if so, how recent are they), or are you just talking off the top of your head?

I don’t know any young girls who watch skating. I don’t know any women my age or older (50’s) who don’t love Jason. Of course that isn’t a representative sample. But I think the OP is talking off the top of his/her head.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was listening to Ice Talk and Jackie was saying Mariah’s free was one of the top 10-15 performance he had ever seen at Nationals. It is just so sad that that can’t be rewarded with the gold medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Was listening to Ice Talk and Jackie was saying Mariah’s free was one of the top 10-15 performance he had ever seen at Nationals. It is just so sad that that can’t be rewarded with the gold medal.

What is sad about that? It doesn't change that she had a fine performance. Nor does it change that she got out-jumped in an athletic competition.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is sad about that? It doesn't change that she had a fine performance. Nor does it change that she got out-jumped in an athletic competition.

I think that one of the top 15 performances in Nationals should win a gold medal. I just hate where ladies skating is going. Going to show myself out after Gracie retires. There’s no reason for the ISU to make any rules changes with skating so popular in Russia, Japan, etc.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
First, whether someone has “magic” or “pizazz” is obviously subjective. Second, why are you commenting about Jason and Nathan in the ladies thread? Third, what do you mean by saying that “Jason scores well apparently with young girls but in my marketing class eh did not score well for like athletic gear or male hygiene products or fashion”? Did you conduct studies of Jason’s or Nathan’s or Bradie’s marketability to various demographic groups or did you read studies conducted by others (and if so, how recent are they), or are you just talking off the top of your head?

Chill. !. To be honest much of what is on GS is subjective very subjective. People try to make opinons or rumours into fact. We all are guilty perhaps of that. Others skaters are just for comparision, please calm down. You are entitled to your opinions and though others may not respect your opinion I do. And yes, my class did study several skaters but perhaps your class or group might have different results. really the issue is - is there a market that identifies with you/likes you And are they strong enough to influence the market to use the you or rather the skater as a spokesperson. Michelle Kwan made millions even without oly gold. Years ago there was a soap actress who kept on losing the daytime Emmy. There was another actress who won four or five daytime Emmy's. The actress who kept on losing became rich and famous and had one of the highest tv Q ratings with other big stars at the time like Bill Cosby, Victoria Principal The actress who kept winning while respected as an actress did not get the night time movies or television roles or money that the consistent loser got. the it factor sometimes just can't be explained.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know Bradie is a person and someone's child. But yes, not everyone has the same charisma or magic. As good and solid as she is I don't think she comes off as marketable as some but I wish her well. She's pretty and a great skater but she's ot special if that makes sense. She just doesn't have that magic and not everyone can have that magic or e special or there would be no one special. Sadly in general the skaters in the US right now while top level skaters and in Natha's situation world fave. Yes, they will get some endorsemens and well paid shows but a lot of them just don't have that magic. Jason scores well apparently with young girls but in my marketing class eh did not score well for like atheltic gear or male hygeine products or fashion. Some have it and some don't. That doesn't mean they don't have endorsements but they just don't have the pizzazz of some other athletes.

The same could be said for Canada's current crop of top skaters, but that would be mean. Canada would be thrilled to pieces if Bradie, Jason and Nathan decided to skate for Canada instead of the US, pizzazz or no pizzazz.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think Bradie could be more marketable she just needs the right agent and better packaging. Her skating took a step in the right direction this season with better programs. If she gets a winning combo of programs next season things could go very well for her. So much of marketability comes down to what your agent and team make of you.

And yes, my class did study several skaters but perhaps your class or group might have different results.

I am just happy that marketing classes think highly enough of figure skating that they include skaters in the list of athletes/celebrities that they rate. :yes:

I think that the main thing that corporate sponsors are looking for is a spokesperson that matches the image that they want associated with their product. I think that historically and traditionally the image of the lady figure skater is not the glamorous movie star or the delicate princess. If they wanted that they could hire a glamorous movie star or a delicate princess, LOL.

I think the iconic skater persona is the all-American girl-next-door type. Lots of spunk. a can-do attitude, and maybe a little Tom-boy. Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill and Michelle Kwan fit the bill. Kimmie Meissner was a perfect match for Under-Armour athletic wear.

OT. In the soap opera reference you are speaking of the fabulous, the one-and-only, Susan Lucci, right? :rock: Her she is at 71.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...9413.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=1600:*

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am just happy that marketing classes think highly enough of figure skating that they include skaters in the list of athletes/celebrities that they rate. :yes:

I think that the main thing that corporate sponsors are looking for is a spokesperson that matches the image that they want associated with their product. I think that historically and traditionally the image of the lady figure skater is not the glamorous movie star or the delicate princess. If they wanted that they could hire a glamorous movie star or a delicate princess, LOL.

I think the iconic skater persona is the all-American girl-next-door type. Lots of spunk. a can-do attitude, and maybe a little Tom-boy. Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill and Michelle Kwan fit the bill. Kimmie Meissner was a perfect match for Under-Armour athletic wear.

OT. In the soap opera reference you are speaking of the fabulous, the one-and-only, Susan Lucci, right? :rock: Her she is at 71.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...9413.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=1600:*

I think of Gracie as the glamorous movie star type. No?

Ziotic

Medalist
The same could be said for Canada's current crop of top skaters, but that would be mean. Canada would be thrilled to pieces if Bradie, Jason and Nathan decided to skate for Canada instead of the US, pizzazz or no pizzazz.
As a Canadian, I can 100% say your statement is false.

I wouldn’t really care if any of them represented Canada and I especially wouldn’t be thrilled to pieces...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As a Canadian, I can 100% say your statement is false.

I wouldn’t really care if any of them represented Canada and I especially wouldn’t be thrilled to pieces...

Absolutely agree with you. Would like Canadian ladies to do better, but the US should just hang on to their own skaters; don't even think about pawning them off on us.

Foreign media are also reporting that Canadians are thrilled that Megan and Harry are going to live part-time in Canada, whereas most Canadians are actually saying, "Well, I guess it's ok, as long as we don't have to pay for their security. We won't have to pay for their security, will we?"

It takes a lot more to thrill Canadians than many outsiders realize.

Edited to add:
No disrespect to the named US skaters intended. They all get a lot of unwarranted criticism.

Hey, you already stole Keegan from us. ;)

As for markeability, Tessa Virtue is still doing all right. :yes:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hey, you already stole Keegan from us. ;)

As for markeability, Tessa Virtue is still doing all right. :yes:

Keegan is a different category; he has dual US/Canadian citizenship through his mother. Unless Canada changes its citizenship laws, we kind of had to accept his decision to skate for Canada.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Oh for sure. Worse Canada is so small it has such a tiny market it is hard to make a living with endorsements. It is so small there was really only spot for one lady to do some endorsements (Tess over Kaetlyn). But we don;t have to be mean. Poor Canada has enough skating problems/challenges.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely agree with you. Would like Canadian ladies to do better, but the US should just hang on to their own skaters; don't even think about pawning them off on us.

Foreign media are also reporting that Canadians are thrilled that Megan and Harry are going to live part-time in Canada, whereas most Canadians are actually saying, "Well, I guess it's ok, as long as we don't have to pay for their security. We won't have to pay for their security, will we?"

It takes a lot more to thrill Canadians than many outsiders realize.

Edited to add:
No disrespect to the named US skaters intended. They all get a lot of unwarranted criticism.

Thank you. That's so very true ... and the irony is that many people all over the world don't agree with a lot of the criticism toward those whom world-wide fans consider really great skaters.

Personally, I wish we would all act a little bit more like Canadians, and be more supportive of all our skaters.

It was an amusing story about Harry and Megan, too. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

OMG Mathman that photo are you sure that is a 71 year old woman???? Yes, that is the actress I am talking about. For whatever reason and some felt she wasn't talented or pretty (ah that photo suggests differently) she just had it. She had that je ne sais quoi, that magic. It is nothing against another skater. We all should look that good at 40!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe more so than some others. Anyone can be glammed up by professional hair and make-up people and wardrobe managers.

Gracie on the Red Carpet.

https://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/gracie-gold-premiere-divergent-06.jpg

Gracie the clean-cut all-American athlete and girl next door.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-G1nXLIYK...D70XnsRhSmnVhACEwYBhgL/s320/Gracie+Gold48.jpg

She looks great but she doesn't have great carriage. I know she is y oung but she does not walk the swagger in these photos. Great outfts but a beautiful confident person can wear jeans and a button down shirt and have a glow, a glamour about them.