2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Makemi

Rinkside
Vincent has announced a coaching change to Lee Barkell and Lori Nichol in Toronto. He will continue working with Mie Hamada.
https://www.usfsa.org/story.aspx?id=92906

I certainly didn't see this coming either! Great opportunity for Vincent though, especially since Satoko is also there and shares some of the same issues (i.e. URs). More convenient for Hamada also to have two of her students in the same place. O Canada indeed!

Speaking of coaching changes, it seems Ilia Malinin is now training with Raf? I came across a translated Russian interview with Raf and he mentioned:
For example, now I’m helping a young, talented junior from the American team. Parents were the initiators – they are the boy’s coaches. I am happy to work with him, although I understand very well that he is a potential rival to my student from Canada. When he asked, I just couldn’t refuse him, his desire to train, and his motivation were so strong, and healthy rivalry is what brings the result.

Ilia posted a video training a 4T with Raf in the background, so I think Ilia is the one Raf is referring to. If so I wonder if it's full or part time? (exciting either way!)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I’m excited to see how Vincent develops further. I’m already his fan since some years although i see he has a lot to work on. Like fixing his underrotations(stamina?), working on skating skills and performance. Even if he is an introvert I hope he can develop his own style that reaches out to the audience. I love that he's going for the harder jumps!

What’s this about 'he should leave his mother at home’? He’s just 19 years old. Actually younger than Tomoki, Camden and Alex. Could need some help adjusting to a new country. Like Medvedeva has her mom with her.

Nationals will be super exciting. My feeling is that Camden is the main opponent to Jason and Vincent. But that’s just a feeling. I don’t have statistics and don’t remember all the autumn results. And I know it’s men’s competition :biggrin:

US mens nationals times are good for Europe. Saturday and Sunday evenings. Please let there be a stream.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m excited to see how Vincent develops further. I’m already his fan since some years although i see he has a lot to work on. Like fixing his underrotations(stamina?), working on skating skills and performance. Even if he is an introvert I hope he can develop his own style that reaches out to the audience. I love that he's going for the harder jumps!

What’s this about 'he should leave his mother at home’? He’s just 19 years old. Actually younger than Tomoki, Camden and Alex. Could need some help adjusting to a new country. Like Medvedeva has her mom with her.

Nationals will be super exciting. My feeling is that Camden is the main opponent to Jason and Vincent. But that’s just a feeling. I don’t have statistics and don’t remember all the autumn results. And I know it’s men’s competition :biggrin:

US mens nationals times are good for Europe. Saturday and Sunday evenings. Please let there be a stream.

I'm interested to see if Camden can deliver a short program like he did at Skate Canada, and also to see if he can back it up with a long of similar quality.

Seems like the pieces are all there, he just needs to put them together.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm interested to see if Camden can deliver a short program like he did at Skate Canada, and also to see if he can back it up with a long of similar quality.

Seems like the pieces are all there, he just needs to put them together.

This is exactly how I feel. I've been calling him Max Junior for a couple of seasons now and I hope he can put it together like Max used to.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Speaking of coaching changes, it seems Ilia Malinin is now training with Raf? I came across a translated Russian interview with Raf and he mentioned:

Ilia posted a video training a 4T with Raf in the background, so I think Ilia is the one Raf is referring to. If so I wonder if it's full or part time? (exciting either way!)

Very interesting re Ilia and Raf. Thx for posting.

... I've been calling him Max Junior for a couple of seasons now and I hope he can put it together like Max used to.

I never will agree with referring to any skater as So-and-So Junior. :noshake:

Don't get me wrong: I love Max as much as ever. :luv17:
Because I love Camden too, my wish for Camden is to be known as Camden.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Very interesting re Ilia and Raf. Thx for posting.

I never will agree with referring to any skater as So-and-So Junior. :noshake:

Don't get me wrong: I love Max as much as ever. :luv17:
Because I love Camden too, my wish for Camden is to be known as Camden.

I should know better. I was compared to the singer Lou Rawls when I was touring and I hated it. Though I mean it as a compliment, I get it. Sorry Camden. I love your skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly didn't see this coming either! Great opportunity for Vincent though, especially since Satoko is also there and shares some of the same issues (i.e. URs). More convenient for Hamada also to have two of her students in the same place. O Canada indeed!

Speaking of coaching changes, it seems Ilia Malinin is now training with Raf? I came across a translated Russian interview with Raf and he mentioned:

Thanks for posting that clip of Ilia. I'm interested in seeing his development.

Here's a different video that looks to be from the same training session:

The Very Common 3A-Eu-3S-Eu-3S-3T combination.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gHN3ip-5g/

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow but I don't think that combo is allowed by the rules.

Oh, of course not.

It's just a 13 year old boy showing off in practice, which is why I find it so appealing.

It's endearingly cool.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh, of course not.

It's just a 13 year old boy showing off in practice, which is why I find it so appealing.

It's endearingly cool.

According to this he is 15 years old. Still cool.

I see he competes at junior nationals, not seniors.

Makemi

Rinkside

Camden certainly has all the pieces to make a run for the podium, but my money is still on Tomoki. Tomoki has under-performed in the GP but both his programs have huge potential. His 4Ts have been pretty consistent so far, just have to get those 3As straightened out. Nationals will be exciting for sure.

Actually, speaking of which here's SBS 4Ts with Camden and Tomoki :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TdSy-p0Hu/
(posted by Tomoki to which Camden's response was "Yours was better" :laugh:)

Thanks for posting that clip of Ilia. I'm interested in seeing his development.

Here's a different video that looks to be from the same training session:

The Very Common 3A-Eu-3S-Eu-3S-3T combination.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gHN3ip-5g/

Good on Ilia! I think the 3A is a new jump this season, so the fact that he can put this out is impressive. I hope he can have some good skates at YOG.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camden certainly has all the pieces to make a run for the podium, but my money is still on Tomoki. Tomoki has under-performed in the GP but both his programs have huge potential. His 4Ts have been pretty consistent so far, just have to get those 3As straightened out. Nationals will be exciting for sure.

It will sure be interesting, especially since we don’t know what sort of shape Vincent may be in or if he will skate at all. Jimmie Santee said last year’s Nationals was the best he’d ever seen Tomoki skate, and he’s known Tomoki a long time. Will be interesting to see if he can skate up to that standard.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Camden & Tomoki:). When they are strong, they are very strong; and when they are off, they are off). I would love to see them both have a strong Nationals. One nice thing about Nationals is that it will not be a brand new experience for both of them, as most events have been this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yikes, it will be an extremely(!) quick turnaround for Senior Men at Nats who are invited to selection camp for Junior Worlds.

Senior Men's FS in Greensboro is on Sun Jan 26.
JW selection camp is on Mon-Tue Jan 27-28 in Indian Trail, NC.

For comparison, Junior Men's FS is on Wed Jan 22.

IIRC/AFAIK, last year's JW selection camp in Ohio took place a full week or so after the conclusion of Nats in Detroit.

Junior Ladies FS is on Thu Jan 23, and Senior Ladies FS is on Fri Jan 24, so the ladies will have a more equal "break" before JW selection camp.

I suppose the good news is that if any skaters this year are both invited to JW selection camp and assigned to Four Continents, they would have a little bit of breathing room in between (unlike last year).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada