2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Tahuu

On the Ice
One more month to Montreal Worlds. The biggest question mark for the US men is Vincent. His personal best from last season is 299.01. Can he get there? At nationals he got 275.23 with one quad. Taking away 20 points inflation, it's 255+. If he can regain two quads in the SP and three quads in the FS, he may be 290+. I don't see Jason can manage to get as high a mark. Shoma was nearly clean at Japan nationals with a 2-quad SP and a 3-quad FS. He got 290.57. I don't think Japan nationals were as inflated. A clean Shoma can be 290-300+ at Worlds. I think Shoma has a better chance for a World medal than any other US men except Nathan. We'll see how he is doing in Holland in two weeks.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I would agree that Shoma and Vincent, if on form, are more likely to medal at Worlds than Jason. I was glad to see Vincent do so well after being off for so long, Nathan is nothing if not a reliable and incredible competitor, and I’m thrilled that Jason seems to have turned the corner after a rough start to his season.

Tahuu

On the Ice
I would agree that Shoma and Vincent, if on form, are more likely to medal at Worlds than Jason. I was glad to see Vincent do so well after being off for so long, Nathan is nothing if not a reliable and incredible competitor, and I’m thrilled that Jason seems to have turned the corner after a rough start to his season.

Shoma is my bet for a World medal. Vincent is untested this season. Of the three with over 270s this season (Aymoz, Jason and Aliev), Jason indeed is much more likely to skate clean as his 3A seems now reliable and he has a chance for the medal.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Love this footage of Sam Mindra all smiles as he receives his Team USA jacket, along with applause and cheers:

Swipe/scroll to the two pieces of feel-good :) video.

ETA:

And here is footage of Kai Kovar happily receiving his Team USA jacket.

https://instagram.com/p/B8c4bX0J6d9/ (Feb 11, swipe/scroll)​

Sam (age 16) and Kai (almost 14) are on the entry list (on the Dutch federation site) for Junior Men for next week's Challenge Cup in The Hague.
(USFS has not yet published Challenge Cup assignments.)

Sam and Kai qualified for Nats by placing first and second, respectively, in Novice Men at Pacific Coast Sectionals.
Sam and Kai placed tenth and eleventh, respectively, in Junior Men at Nats. (Sam placed seventh in the SP.)

Congratulations to both, and good luck at Challenge Cup. :yay:

Boston show FYI for Sat Apr 18:

Max Aaron is among the cast members for the Axels for Alzheimer's fundraiser ... along with Will Annis, Polina Edmunds, Milly Murdock, Heidi Munger, Gabbie Izzo, and others.

https://www.axelsforalz.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8UgT2ZpNVP/ (Feb 8)​

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love this footage of Sam Mindra all smiles as he receives his Team USA jacket, along with applause and cheers:

Swipe/scroll to the two pieces of feel-good :) video.

ETA:

And here is footage of Kai Kovar happily receiving his Team USA jacket.

https://instagram.com/p/B8c4bX0J6d9/ (Feb 11, swipe/scroll)​

Sam (age 16) and Kai (almost 14) are on the entry list (on the Dutch federation site) for Junior Men for next week's Challenge Cup in The Hague.
(USFS has not yet published Challenge Cup assignments.)

Sam and Kai qualified for Nats by placing first and second, respectively, in Novice Men at Pacific Coast Sectionals.
Sam and Kai placed tenth and eleventh, respectively, in Junior Men at Nats. (Sam placed seventh in the SP.)

Congratulations to both, and good luck at Challenge Cup. :yay:

Boston show FYI for Sat Apr 18:

Max Aaron is among the cast members for the Axels for Alzheimer's fundraiser ... along with Will Annis, Polina Edmunds, Milly Murdock, Heidi Munger, Gabbie Izzo and others.

https://www.axelsforalz.com/

Oh man. If only it wasn’t soooooo far.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
One more month to Montreal Worlds. The biggest question mark for the US men is Vincent. His personal best from last season is 299.01. Can he get there? At nationals he got 275.23 with one quad. Taking away 20 points inflation, it's 255+. If he can regain two quads in the SP and three quads in the FS, he may be 290+. I don't see Jason can manage to get as high a mark. Shoma was nearly clean at Japan nationals with a 2-quad SP and a 3-quad FS. He got 290.57. I don't think Japan nationals were as inflated. A clean Shoma can be 290-300+ at Worlds. I think Shoma has a better chance for a World medal than any other US men except Nathan. We'll see how he is doing in Holland in two weeks.

I think this is a correct assessment. Shoma if he is regaining his je ne sais quoi is probably the fave for bronze behind Nathan and Yuzuru. But his challengers will be Vincent, Jason, and maybe Aliev, Cha and or Boyang.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think this is a correct assessment. Shoma if he is regaining his je ne sais quoi is probably the fave for bronze behind Nathan and Yuzuru. But his challengers will be Vincent, Jason, and maybe Aliev, Cha and or Boyang.

I agree

lusterfan

Final Flight

Personally, I would put Shoma in a tier of his own beneath Nathan/Hanyu, but clearly above the rest (and capable of surpassing Hanyu too if Hanyu falters). He wasn't consistent in the beginning of the season but he had his reasons. I think he will more than likely bring his game on at Worlds, especially after the confidence-boosting Nationals victory. Judges will be more than happy to lavish him with GOE & PCS.

Vincent is more of a question mark for me as we barely saw him at Nationals, but I think he would be my back-up choice for bronze if Shoma slips. Jason is lovely, but his ceiling is still pretty low ... he caps out around 280ish if he's absolutely perfect. Shoma/Vincent have quite a bit of leeway to still get that, but of course I wouldn't count Jason out since Shoma/Vincent aren't necessarily the most consistent skaters ever. Aliev, Cha, Boyang can also beat Jason's ceiling, but are more so in the Top 6 range - needing a lights out skate + mistakes from others to find themselves on the podium.

I'm curious if Jason will bring the 4T again ... I think he will need it to challenge for bronze, but I guess that's giving too much credit to the consistency of the other men :laugh2: Nonetheless, the numbers don't quite check out for Jason if others are just semi-clean.

century2009

On the Ice
Personally, I would put Shoma in a tier of his own beneath Nathan/Hanyu, but clearly above the rest (and capable of surpassing Hanyu too if Hanyu falters). He wasn't consistent in the beginning of the season but he had his reasons. I think he will more than likely bring his game on at Worlds, especially after the confidence-boosting Nationals victory. Judges will be more than happy to lavish him with GOE & PCS.

Vincent is more of a question mark for me as we barely saw him at Nationals, but I think he would be my back-up choice for bronze if Shoma slips. Jason is lovely, but his ceiling is still pretty low ... he caps out around 280ish if he's absolutely perfect. Shoma/Vincent have quite a bit of leeway to still get that, but of course I wouldn't count Jason out since Shoma/Vincent aren't necessarily the most consistent skaters ever. Aliev, Cha, Boyang can also beat Jason's ceiling, but are more so in the Top 6 range - needing a lights out skate + mistakes from others to find themselves on the podium.

I'm curious if Jason will bring the 4T again ... I think he will need it to challenge for bronze, but I guess that's giving too much credit to the consistency of the other men :laugh2: Nonetheless, the numbers don't quite check out for Jason if others are just semi-clean.

Jason needs to bring the 4T. Even if he loses his chances at bronze. He needs a quad. He for me is the lower chances to get bronze compared to Shoma, Vincent, Aliev, and Boyang.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

While I pretty much agree with you that Shoma’s the favorite for bronze and that there are quite a few guys who can potentially out score Jason, I think you’re selling him a bit short here. With the exception of a << 4T with - GOE, his Nats performances were very nearly perfect, and he scored 292. Yeah we all know US Nats scores are quite inflated, so he won’t score that high internationally. But I think they show that with an absolutely perfect performance, there’s quite a bit of room for him to score above 280. At 4CCs his GOE averaged roughly +3. Increase that to average +3.5-4 and add a couple of extra points in PCS, and he could probably score 285, even without considering any potential increases in BV for a fully rotated, landed 4T. Is it likely? Hard to say, because aside from how he skates, it depends on the judging panel (ie, whether they save higher PCS/GOE for guys doing more/harder quads). Jason’s kind of an anomaly so it will be interesting to see what happens. I do think he’s likely to attempt the 4T in the FS.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Jason has repeated 3A and 3F. He has one each 3Lz, 3Lo, 3S, 3T. There is no more triple available for him in place of the 4T. The only thing that’s better than a downgraded 4T with negative goe is a perfect 2A, maybe 2-3 points more. An airy 2A and clean skate may also help his pcs.

As a compromise to mastering a fully rotated 4T, maybe he could try landing on his toepick like Vincent does without falling to either get the benefit of the doubt from the TP or just a 4T<.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Jason needs to bring the 4T. Even if he loses his chances at bronze. He needs a quad. He for me is the lower chances to get bronze compared to Shoma, Vincent, Aliev, and Boyang.

From all accounts, Jason't 4T is fairly consistent in practice. I would expect him to land it soon in competition. And, I don't think the end game here is Bronze at Worlds this year. The End Game is an berth on the Olympic team - and perhaps a medal there - so he's going to keep working that 4T. Trying it at world's this year is another step on that road.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jason has repeated 3A and 3F. He has one each 3Lz, 3Lo, 3S, 3T. There is no more triple available for him in place of the 4T. The only thing that’s better than a downgraded 4T with negative goe is a perfect 2A, maybe 2-3 points more. An airy 2A and clean skate may also help his pcs.

As a compromise to mastering a fully rotated 4T, maybe he could try landing on his toepick like Vincent does without falling to either get the benefit of the doubt from the TP or just a 4T<.

Huh?! :confused: You do realize that all jumps (on figure skates) land on a toe pick, right?

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
From all accounts, Jason't 4T is fairly consistent in practice. I would expect him to land it soon in competition. And, I don't think the end game here is Bronze at Worlds this year. The End Game is an berth on the Olympic team - and perhaps a medal there - so he's going to keep working that 4T. Trying it at world's this year is another step on that road.

Yeah, and he only gains a few points by doing a nice double axel (his only other option) as compared to a botched quad. If we were in 2010, he could win gold with a quadless program. Not today.