2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As I mentioned in the Jason Brown Fan fest thread.

His SP that he performed in Sun Valley last night is "I can't go on without you" by Kaleo.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

haribobo

On the Ice
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice score)

Ilia Malinin 191.17 Atlanta Open E
Maxim Naumov 189.48 Lake Placid E
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Matthew Nielsen 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
William Annis 153.70 Detroit E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E
Joseph Klein 150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M

timdalton

Match Penalty
Although I like him I have been so baffled at Zhou's rise in PCS. I do think he has worked hard and improved but not to that level.

The U.S has an amazing group of up and coming men, who wont make their impact yet, but will in the future. Seems the program for U.S men is now quite strong, stronger than the womens. I see the U.S dance program slowing down a bit currently, but not the men.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will come back to say more, but this is really all that needs to be said.

Just give Andrew Torgashev all the PCS. ALL of it. Seeing both those programs, from center ice, 50 feet away, and the time flies by. Even in August and even with E lucevan le stelle.

Yes, I know I’m a fangirl, but I would not say it if it were not true:biggrin:

:luv17:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just give Andrew Torgashev all the PCS. ALL of it. Seeing both those programs, from center ice, 50 feet away, and the time flies by. Even in August and even with E lucevan le stelle.

I'm waiting on this after-action report!

We can always count on El for the latest in Andrew T news!

tosca

On the Ice

Andrew Torgashev coming through with the Tosca program we all finally deserve!!!! <3 <3 <3

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So a few more notes from the field (OK, a lot of notes from the field:biggrin:)

I will say God bless fancams :pray:and the folks who take them, but for Andrew, the fancams I've seen really don't capture the live experience (and I know that is true for all comps, but this seems more so).

Andrew is a skater of precision. Each hand gesture, each movement, is, well, precise. But not mechanical precise, or coach told me to do it this way precise, but meaningful. And since he choreoed the whole darn thing himself, for him, super duper meaningful.:thumbsup: And what I think may come across as over dramatic on video seems totally organic when you are watching him live, as least to me.

Of course, his strength to me has always been the step sequence, and he did not disappoint. In the SP, there is a moment where the music changes pace, from Clair de Luney to hip hoppy (I don't know, the tune is weird) but Andrew does some sort of hitch kick jump *right* at the time change which is startling in a good way. :shocked:

And jumps. He landed the darn jumps. In the FS, he landed the 4T. Wonky, lobby, but stood up on it, and added a double something afterwards. The 3A is solid in both programs. He fell, but so did everyone else.

Now, I'm a Jason fangirl and always will be, so I am *never* going to say, oh, this means Jason's at risk. Jason rules. :hap85: And I don't like those kinds of arguments anyway. I root for skaters, not against them. But if Andrew can manage to do this all year, instead of peaking in August.:hap10:

Saw Camden and Alex K., but they deserve their own post, rather than my Andrew T. novella;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you for sharing this article; Sean's discussion of his desire to continue skating competitively, and his perseverance in the face of the obstacles facing him and his coaching situation, is indeed inspiring. You should be proud.

I love that Sean pushes back against the ethos of "if you don't accomplish certain goals when you are young, you won't do it at all, and why bother continuing"

"....there is this stigma about ‘you must be young with triples by 13 or you won’t make it and should quit.’ Well, I am sorry, I have accomplished way, way, way, more than anyone ever imagined I would, and now, in the second half of my 20’s, I am .... living my dreams. .... On a brighter note, the flip side of that is I receive many messages from skaters who are “older” that just got a double Axel or triple and say that I give them hope. That right there is fuel to my flame."

"I’m still competing because I love to skate. I love the audience. I love to perform. I love that I am someone skaters look up to and I love that I, at the young age of 29, I am still healthy enough to do this sport. Yes, I need those jumps and I have actually put on eight pounds of muscle in an attempt to strengthen my body and train those jumps, specifically with the Axel. It has become the best it has been in a while. That said, there is so much more to skating than just some jumps. I feel that when I skate from my heart, and all goes according to plan, the feeling of the crowd on their feet at an international competition or at the U.S. Championships is the reason I am still here."

Sean is absolutely right, when he is on, he thrills the audience (certainly he has for me) and that is reason enough to compete and continue. And I'm glad he is:hap10:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love it when these 'older' skaters continue doing what they love: just skate. He's a bit like Sergej Voronov (though obviously a very different person) in that he continues to do what he loves, whatever the negatives thinking he's too old. No he's not. He's wonderful to watch, and he's inspiring.

haribobo

On the Ice
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice scores)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Matthew Nielsen 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E
Joseph Klein 150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M