Country
United-States
Alysa Liu USA
SP: I've Got Rhythm
FS: New World Symphony by Dvorak

Karen Chen USA
SP: "You Say" by Lauren Daigle

Frpm Broadmoor Open

Dvorak New World Symphony was once used by that other triple axel queen Tonya Harding back in 1989. Great choice of music and subtle reminder...https://youtu.be/sFdoiXH3cgc

Different cuts used by Alysa & Tonya

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't understand how this fits the rules. If A Star is Born isn't a musical, The Great Gatsby certainly isn't.

Maybe it's not from the 2013 film?
http://www.musichallspb.ru/en/afisha/premera-myuzikl-velikiy-getsbi
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...Gatsby-musical-Kings-Head-Theatre-London.html

Theater
The 1926 stage adaptation of Owen Davis,[107] subsequently developed, became the 1926 film version. The play, directed by George Cukor, opened on Broadway on February 2, 1926, and ran for 112 performances. A successful tour later in the year included performances in Chicago, 1 August 20 through 2 October.[108]
In July 2006, Simon Levy's stage adaptation,[109] the only one authorized and granted exclusive rights by the Fitzgerald Estate, had its world premiere at The Guthrie Theater to commemorate the opening of its new theatre, directed by David Esbjornson. It was subsequently produced by Seattle Repertory Theatre. In 2012, a revised/reworked version was produced at Arizona Theatre Company[110] and Grand Theatre in London, Ontario, Canada.[109]
Gatz, an award-winning Off-Broadway production by Elevator Repair Service, placed first in the list of best in 2010 NYC theatre from The New York Times's Ben Brantley.[111]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gatsby#Theater

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does the insta story specifically say they're using the movie soundtrack? Surely there's been a dozen adaptations of Gatsby on Broadway.

There's been a Great Gatsby opera, but I thought the musical version has only been in London. I'm super confused why A Star Is Born isn't considered a musical besides that the music is all in organic circumstances.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm super confused why A Star Is Born isn't considered a musical besides that the music is all in organic circumstances.

I believe because the characters don't sing outside of a performance-only setting.

(I haven't seen the new version. Just two of the previous films. I hear wonderful things about the new movie so I will get around to it. I just don't like the plot of the story so I haven't been able to talk myself into watching another rendition yet).

There was a good musical version of the Great Gatsby that some skater(s) used recently. (I'm thinking two seasons ago?) Can't remember who it was or what discipline or even what age group now.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wouldn't Cabaret then not be considered a musical? Unless I'm forgetting something, I believe all of the songs in it are diegetic.

Same with Chorus Line... maybe? All of the music in that was in context of an audition, wasn't it?

A little trickier of a case, since I think some of the songs were kind of characters singing during the audition... but not really prepared music for an audition... right?

Dance: 10, Looks: 3! Nobody will be brave enough to skate to that... but I would give them all the medals if they did.

So, what about Victor/Victoria? Would All that Jazz be suitable? Tricky!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure that if it was an actual, on-stage musical, then it's fine. The rest is about what movies qualify. So Cabaret, Chicago, Chorus Line ... would all be fine.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's definitely a gray area. This is why we waited all year for the ISU to clarify their definition of a musical. (It only matters what the definition is per the ISU. I mean, I would never consider disco to be swing music; but it qualified as swing during the 2016-17 season because the ISU included disco within its definition).

I'm pretty sure that if it was an actual, on-stage musical, then it's fine.

In and of itself, how do you clarify the difference between an on-stage play with a song in it and an on-stage musical? I doubt it is enough for it to have been on stage with music. I believe there would still need to be some music that is used outside of a performance-only setting. (Another poster elsewhere defined a musical as being a story in which the characters do not know they are singing. I think that's not a bad definition either). Many films that are turned into stage productions have extra songs added to the score or the soundtrack is then performed by the characters so it is more likely that if there is a stage production version then it would meet the requirements.

Wouldn't Cabaret then not be considered a musical? Unless I'm forgetting something, I believe all of the songs in it are diegetic.

I don't know Cabaret well enough to answer you as I've only seen it once. I thought there was a song in the dressing room in the stage production I saw; but I cannot replay the whole production in my brain.

Same with Chorus Line... maybe? All of the music in that was in context of an audition, wasn't it?

A Chorus Line, I have thought about. At the very least, the song with Cassie backstage would have to qualify as an out of a performance setting, don't you think? (I mean she's singing while other people are out there on the stage performing. She's singing to herself, and she's not rehearsing). Though I would agree that the fact that the songs aren't prepared for the audition probably should qualify it on its own. My understanding is that skaters are welcome to use any songs from a musical as long as the larger production as a whole is defined as a musical via the ISU's definition.

So, what about Victor/Victoria?

I've never seen Victor/Victoria so I haven't the foggiest.

Would All that Jazz be suitable?

From Chicago? Yes. Because Chicago qualifies as a musical via the ISU definition. There are other songs in it that are outside of a performance setting. Therefore, skaters are welcome to select anything from the score (though they will have to meet the beats per minute rules like always).

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It's definitely a gray area. This is why we waited all year for the ISU to clarify their definition of a musical. (It only matters what the definition is per the ISU. I mean, I would never consider disco to be swing music; but it qualified as swing during the 2016-17 season because the ISU included disco within its definition).

In and off itself, how do you clarify the difference between an on-stage play with a song in it and an on-stage musical? I doubt it is enough for it to have been on stage with music. I believe there would still need to be some music that is used outside of a performance-only setting. (Another poster elsewhere defined a musical as being a story in which the characters do not know they are singing. I think that's not a bad definition either). Many films that are turned into stage productions have extra songs added to the score or the soundtrack is then performed by the characters so it is more likely that if there is a stage production version then it would meet the requirements.

I don't know Cabaret well enough to answer you as I've only seen it once. I thought there was a song in the dressing room in the stage production I saw; but I cannot replay the whole production in my brain.

A Chorus Line, I have thought about. At the very least, the song with Cassie backstage would have to qualify as an out of a performance setting, don't you think? (I mean she's singing while other people are out there on the stage performing. She's singing to herself, and she's not rehearsing). Though I would agree that the fact that the songs aren't prepared for the audition probably should qualify it on its own. My understanding is that skaters are welcome to use any songs from a musical as long as the larger production as a whole is defined as a musical via the ISU's definition.

I've never seen Victor/Victoria so I haven't the foggiest.

From Chicago? Yes. Because Chicago qualifies as a musical via the ISU definition. There are other songs in it that are outside of a performance setting. Therefore, skaters are welcome to select anything from the score (though they will have to meet the beats per minute rules like always).

Victor/Victoria is pretty great. I'm not sure how well it has aged with some of the humour but Julie Andrews singing Jazz Hot is one for the ages.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
BTW, Chorus Line won several Tony Awards, 6 of which were for "musicals", including Best Musical. Obviously, the ISU and the Tony's don't have the same rules, but that's a pretty good indication in my opinion.

I'm also quite confident that Cabaret would qualify as a musical.

I'm not sure about the film version of Victor/Victoria, but the Broadway musical version should be fine. They definitely sing for conversation and not just performance.

pearly

Record Breaker
First thing that comes to mind with Chorus Line is I hope I get it. It's internal monologue and it's sung.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Cabaret is very definitely a musical: not all of the songs are diegetic (think of 'So What?' and 'Perfectly Marvelous' which are set outside the club environment) and all of them act to advance the story as well as developing character/theme through their lyrics and staging. It's very clear when you see it on stage rather than as a film. The songs in the most recent version of A Star is Born don't advance the narrative in the way the songs in a musical do (in a musical, the characters who sing should be at a different point in their story at the end of the song than they were at the beginning and the overall story should also have moved forward; in ASAB the songs are illustrative/reflective instead), so it's not eligible, and Baz Luhrmann's version of The Great Gatsby isn't either.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(In reply to my question about All That Jazz...)

I claim a combination of old age and plain old dunce-ness.

I meant Jazz Hot from Victor/Victoria. In my mind, what I meant was plain as day... I have no idea why I typed it out as something else.

Apologies...

The reason that was relevant to prior discussion is that (in the movie version) Julie Andrews sings it on stage... while pretending to be a man performing as a a female impersonator. It's an odd movie, and our sweet Julie isn't singing about Lonely Goatherds in it. She absolutely sizzles in that movie.