2019 4CCs: Pairs' SP | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Pairs' SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:
IMO, it looks like Moore-Towers and Marinaro have improved their connection in this program.
To me it always looks like they need a different service provider.

Very happy to see Sui and Han back on the ice. They are in it for worlds, and even if they don't win here, doesn't matter.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've never seen them (Kirsten and Michael) skate so well before. It is a bit of a surprising outcome, but they skated excellently. It was lovely to finally see Sui and Han again, and of course their skating is fabulous, but she did have a fall. I'm the most surprised that the second Chinese pair, got awarded rather high points. I really like Peng and Jin but they were a bit off, despite them doing the SBS with triples finally, and they also had a fall. I would have awarded C/L higher this time. But then, who am I? Just a watching fan.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I don't really follow Pairs so I don't know much about the technicalities but that lift from Sui/Han was GORGEOUS. It's amazing because at the beginning of the lift I thought "woooow" and then by the end I was like "WOW, WHAT? WOOOOW!!!"
Such a good program! Despite the fall, I enjoyed it the most. Their skating is beautiful! :love:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
KMT/Marinaro - I don't think they've ever skated better than that. I was not a huge fan of this program when they debuted it, but seeing it here drives home that the sort of sort romantic mood they're trying to conjure only comes when everything is this perfect and effortless-seeming. I can't imagine them staying in first place when the dust settles (and Kirsten seemed a bit baffled that they were in first at all), but they've got 5 valuable points here toward the silver medal.

Sui/Han - great to see them back, and everything looked great (that lift was phenomenal), apart from Wenjing wiping out on the side-by-side jump. That's always going to be dicey for them, I'm guessing.

Peng/Jin - I admit, I thought after they nailed the side-by-sides that it would be smooth sailing for them for the rest of the program. Their throws are usually a money element, and that looked like a painful landing.

Cain/LeDuc - the turnaround from Zagreb continues to be remarkable. Them being behind Peng/Jin depends on a bunch of technical things that would probably confuse regular observers not versed in the scoring system. This is the second straight event when Tim has UR'd that triple loop in the short; I do wonder if they'd be better served going for a simpler jump, because they'd have a small medal if they had. Not that I don't appreciate this team's commitment to doing the harder jump content even under the +5 GOE system.

Kayne/O'Shea - these two have so many qualities that could make them a Worlds top ten team. Shame about the SBS wobble.

Walsh/Michaud - they seemed a bit more cautious here than at Canadian Nationals and Skate Canada, but they're making a lot of progress overall. Good job.

Denney/Frazier - I enjoy this program a lot.

Ruest/Wolfe - shame about the side-by-sides, but their twist is getting better compared to last year, which is nice to see.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love: Kirsten and Michael. :love: Ashley and Tim. Give me performance, an emotional connection or fun, and clean, delightful skating over falls + reputation points, any day. Any day at all.

But that's me and my preferences. I'm trying valiantly (hah!) to follow my own advice. Follow what the skaters do: be gracious, move on, realize that what the judges reward isn't in their control.

Cain/Leduc were awesome today. I felt that Tim in particular performed looser, less controlled, and better than in the Nationals SP. Probably because he regained confidence from their national performances. Ashley's flapper vibes and engagement worked. What they've done since December is remarkable, and they're on track. As Brooke Castile noted, they've been skating back-to-back events all year, so this was in their plan. Pretty much what Ashley has said too. I think -- and hope --:pray: this result, while it jolted them, will fuel them for the FS and an even better performance. It will also give a look at their versatility, a completely different kind of program. They have a ferocious personality as a pair. Great team work, lovely dance-able skating.

Moore-Towers and Marinaro were simply stunning. To me, they've never been so relaxed on the ice, which to me is a result of such good training that everything moves up a notch performance wise. It's also their connection, which I've especially admired since I saw them live. Every element was perfect and beautiful today. I loved it! Her dress is perfection; that can't hurt either!

Sui and Han. Well, her star power is just dazzling, and that lift was beyond wonderful. But Han's face didn't go with it today, IMO. And it created this disconnect for me. I can understand if he was even more than usually being careful of her. That fall was very disruptive, though. Someone said her jump should have been downgraded as well; I don't know, but I know that it leaves a sort of unease when their reputation elevates them so much higher. But hey, they're Olympic silver medalists. It is good to see them recovered and on the ice again.

Peng and Jin. I adore this program, but it felt slightly off today even before the fall. Possibly from the strain of competing against S/H. I love to watch him; he's so engaging and charming; and he brings out her personality, with such tenderness and humor. Since the throws are their most impressive element usually, it was a shame to see them fall on it. Probably a matter of split-second timing being off.

Kayne/O'Shea. Good skate, good comeback. Bravo for them. It was the most Danny-O'Shea-brilliant smile I've seen from Danny since 2016.

Trennt/Michaud. I love this pair, they've got a great future. And a pretty great present day, as well!

Ruest/Wolfe. I didn't get to watch them yet and know little about them.

Denney/Frazier. They're regaining their spark. I loved Haven's landing of the throw; she gave Brandon an intense look and used the moment for character building. Fabulous lift.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Sui/Han - :luv17: The lift is so so great! Shame about the fall on the SBS :gaah:

Peng/Jin - They SBS's are a huge improvement! Not their best short this season, but I still enjoyed it.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I am concered about Sui.

Her and Han´s skating is still superb and the glory is still there. However her body has changed a bit hence the twist is not as great as it was before and there no safe triple jump anymore. Under that circumstances it will be a hard task to stay at the top level till 2022 with all her injuries.

icybear

Medalist
Crowd is really sparse. I've seen better turn outs in challenger competitions than this.

Libby96

Rinkside
Thanks for the information about the 4CC short program! I was really bummed that even though I get NBCSN and Olympic Channel, they didn’t air the pairs and I couldn’t find a livestream anywhere. I really was looking forward to the return of Sui and Han.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
I enjoyed the final group.

Moore-Towers/Marinaro - I really enjoyed that, it was really clean. MT always looks worried - she has to work on it to instill confidence with the judges.

Sui/Han - Welcome Back! With the fall, they had almost the same TES as James/Cipres at Europeans. If they skate the LP well they will be the favourites going into worlds.

Peng/Jin - It's a shame about the throw. Overall very nice.

Cain/LeDuc - I would have had them third.

waxel

Final Flight
Thanks for the information about the 4CC short program! I was really bummed that even though I get NBCSN and Olympic Channel, they didn’t air the pairs and I couldn’t find a livestream anywhere. I really was looking forward to the return of Sui and Han.

Strange schedule from NBCSN... no pairs or dance coverage that I can find. Will have to watch on NBC sports gold

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I still cant believe Sui 3T wasnt downgraded or at least called underrotated. I think that was the wrongest judges decision i saw this entire season so that's my highlight of 4C pairs SP :peace:

Libby96

Rinkside
Strange schedule from NBCSN... no pairs or dance coverage that I can find. Will have to watch on NBC sports gold

NBCSN has the free dance listed from 12:00 am to 2:00 am on Monday, February 11. My guess is that as far as pairs, we will get a 30 second snippet and mention of whichever pair wins, and that will be it. ☹️

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, I belatedly got to read our Rock Star Paula Slater's:rock: article! It's chock-full of wonderful quotes from the pairs.

I especially appreciate this brave quote from Timothy LeDuc. His words could someday help someone else work through a horribly scary episode.

The best teams come together in times of adversity and grow stronger together and we definitely did that,” added LeDuc. “What got me through was Ashley’s strength and she was remarkable through the process and our coaches as well. It helped me push through the intense fear when I started doing that lift again and they helped me to work through it and talk about it.”

https://goldenskate.com/2019/02/moo...ut-chinese-to-lead-pairs-at-four-contintents/

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Moore-Towers/Marino - That was the best I've ever seen them skate. Everything was so smooth and precise. And by far the best performance of this SP of the season. It really works when they're on like this.

Sui/Han - Definitely still a few rough spots beyond just the jump mistake, and I'm not too sure about the song. But it's great to have them back competing. I'm sure they'll be a lot more ready by Worlds.

Peng/Jin - Not their best, but I love this program. It's so fun and suits them so well.

Cain/Leduc - It's a fun program, and their confidence here at and US Nats really takes it to the next level. They'll want to look at the levels before Worlds - that will be important for them to get that 2nd spot. I'm not sure the 3Lo is worth it if they get the < call, but good for them for going for it.

Kayne/O'Shea - This program has improved, but I do wish they'd stuck with the original SP. It was fun and interesting. It was really nice to see Danny look so happy in the KnC.

Walsh/Michaud - It was a little stronger at Nationals, but a good performance for them at their first ISU Senior Championship. And I wasn't sure about this program for them went they debuted it, but it really works well.