2019 U.S. Nats: Ladies FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019 U.S. Nats: Ladies FS

There is nothing unnatural, abnormal, or "freskish" about in-vitro fertilization. Millions of human beings have been conceived this way, and rates are going to continue to climb as the process becomes easier and more affordable.

I'm pretty sure no one would mention it if, say, Alysa's father wasn't open about it, which he is. All of his children (6 including Alysa) were conceived that way, and it's part of the the family's story and that's fine.

Casual personally wasn't calling it unnatural. They are simply wondering if the consequences of letting the information out to millions on broadcast (most of whom WON'T actually actively seek out her family history) won't attract the unneeded attention of some people who consider such a thing, as you say, "unnatural, abnormal, or freakish". It's a valid concern.

andromache

Record Breaker
THIS! I just can't help but remember Alysa's uncontrollable crying. And she was crying like a baby would, not like an adult, too!

I'm not at all worried about Alysa crying like she did. I don't think she cried like a baby. She cried like someone her age cries. We see plenty of skaters begin to cry or even sob uncontrollably after they skate. It's an emotional release that just seems to happen sometimes - this was Alysa's first ever performance in front of a giant crowd like that.

I am all for keeping Alysa's life as stress and media free as possible while she develops her skating and matures. But we don't need to read into her crying as a symptom of something negative, or say that she "cried like a baby and not an adult."

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa was crying not like a baby, but like the young teen that she is. Her reaction, though apparently startling for some, is not abnormal.

andromache

Record Breaker
Casual personally wasn't calling it unnatural. They are simply wondering if the consequences of letting the information out to millions on broadcast (most of whom WON'T actually actively seek out her family history) won't attract the unneeded attention of some people who consider such a thing, as you say, "unnatural, abnormal, or freakish". It's a valid concern.

In what world are there a bunch of people who hate in-vitro so much that they stalk children?? I have literally never heard of this.

Anyway, it's clear that Alysa's dad is open about his family, and that's not a bad thing, especially if Alysa gets more attention/more famous. He's such an important figure in Alysa's life that a lot of people are going to wonder "where is her mom?" Now we know and they don't have to deal with that going forward.

ETA: And is Alysa's father out as gay? I'm seeing it in a few other posts but I have not personally read or heard this from an actual source myself. If he has not publicly disclosed his sexual orientation, we shouldn't speculate or assume.

Last edited:
In what world are there a bunch of people who hate in-vitro so much that they stalk children?? I have literally never heard of this.

Did you read my post? Casual's concern was simply that there might be people listening to the broadcast who are deranged enough to create a hate target on her. As a child, she doesn't need that.

And in what world can there be such people? Is that a real question? Or should I really have to scour through Wikipedia to give you the most obscure examples instead of the most visible ones? Flush out the ones you wouldn't have heard of?

Anyway, I am uninterested in this topic, as is evident from my lack of participation in it till that misunderstanding occurred. I personally dislike NBC's focus on stories instead of focusing on the actual skating talent though. It makes the validity of FS as a sport lesser in comparison to its reality show aspect.

Casual

On the Ice
I'm not at all worried about Alysa crying like she did. I don't think she cried like a baby. She cried like someone her age cries. We see plenty of skaters begin to cry or even sob uncontrollably after they skate. It's an emotional release that just seems to happen sometimes - this was Alysa's first ever performance in front of a giant crowd like that.

I am all for keeping Alysa's life as stress and media free as possible while she develops her skating and matures. But we don't need to read into her crying as a symptom of something negative, or say that she "cried like a baby and not an adult."

Nothing negative about it, it was very natural, and age appropriate. For difference, compare Alysa's sobs with Medvedeva's at Olympics. (Also uncontrollable, and Medvedeva's occasion for sobbing was sorrowful rather than joyful. But still, one sounded like an adult(ish) ("a young woman"), the other a young child.)

P.S. A 13 y.o. teen IS a baby. (But don't ever tell them that.) :laugh:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Anyway, it's clear that Alysa's dad is open about his family, and that's not a bad thing, especially if Alysa gets more attention/more famous. He's such an important figure in Alysa's life that a lot of people are going to wonder "where is her mom?" Now we know and they don't have to deal with that going forward.

I agree with this. I support revealing these things whenever a skater and their team feel most comfortable doing so. The media can ask all their dumb questions about this now so they won't be a distraction later.

andromache

Record Breaker
Did you read my post? Casual's concern was simply that there might be people listening to the broadcast who are deranged enough to create a hate target on her. As a child, she doesn't need that.

There are people out there who can make a hate target out of anything. They can target her for being Asian-American or doing a triple axel or because she is a child on television and deranged people don't need a reason.

There is no prevalence of anti in-vitro violence in the United States. I cannot find any stories related to anyone being targeted for hate or violence because they were conceived via in-vitro.

Casual

On the Ice
There are people out there who can make a hate target out of anything. They can target her for being Asian-American or doing a triple axel or because she is a child on television and deranged people don't need a reason.

There is no prevalence of anti in-vitro violence in the United States. I cannot find any stories related to anyone being targeted for hate or violence because they were conceived via in-vitro.

The world is not limited to the United States, and even in the United States, there're plenty of backwards people, easily incited to hatred, towards anyone they consider unusual. I wish it weren't so.

Don't give them any extra reason to single out a child celebrity, that's all I'm saying. (If that can be helped at all, that is. If private information already got into public domain, then better get in front of it and share, so that it's not news anymore.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa Liu has a father. He is a father who by all accounts is loving and concerned about his children's welfare. He sure as heck knows his daughter better than anyone posting here :)

If Alysa's father feels it appropriate, wonderful and inspiring to share his daughter's story, that's the opinion I care about. It's the *only* opinion that matters when it comes to Alysa's story.

All else is :yawn: and :bed:

Casual

On the Ice
It's nice to live in a world where one doesn't have to have any diverging personal opinion or critical judgment because everyone agrees with each other's words and actions.

It would be even nicer to live among candy-crapping unicorns, where no one ever posts anything unpleasant on the internets. But alas, the world is a cruel place, and disagreements are aplenty.

As it is, we beat this horse to death. So lets agree to disagree. :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, Alysa's crying afterwards showed that it's great that she can't go to World's this year (she can't, right? if she could, her parents shouldn't let her), because that would have been too much, too soon - not healthy for a kid her age to have so much pressure all at once. Excitement and winning the Nationals is enough, now she needs some time to breathe.

Regardless of how talented and eager kids are, it's unfair to place too much too soon on kids.

I think after watching Alysa I'm more convinced we need age limits. A fierce and competitive 13 y.o. is still a child first, an athlete second.

Everyone matures at a different pace, but we should try to protect the kids. It's so easy to harm them permanently, not just physically, but psychologically.

Yeah watching Alysa cry after her FP wasn't your typical cry for joy from more adult skaters but it sounded like exactly what it was. A child crying and it made me feel a bit weird just how young this girl is and if this was a good thing.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Yeah watching Alysa cry after her FP wasn't your typical cry for joy from more adult skaters but it sounded like exactly what it was. A child crying and it made me feel a bit weird just how young this girl is and if this was a good thing.
I agree. She was like a little child crying.
Kind of got to me too as I think it would to most Mothers. I really hate to see a little girl and that is what she still is, put in these kind of situations. And one does not know what kind of expectations and pressure she was put under. Sadly the hype is already starting and she has not even competed in Juniors yet. We need to let her grow up at her own pace. No many overhyped young skaters never make it to Seniors for a number of reasons.

I've seen people attack Nathan just for his ethnicity during the Olympics. Knowing American media, they're going to keep reinforcing this backstory to promote her as the savior for US ladies FS for for the next 4 years. And it's going to stick in people's minds and give bullies a chance to deride her. As a guardian/parent, I would put the child's safety before my pride.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I've seen people attack Nathan just for his ethnicity during the Olympics. Knowing American media, they're going to keep reinforcing this backstory to promote her as the savior for US ladies FS for for the next 4 years. And it's going to stick in people's minds and give bullies a chance to deride her. As a guardian/parent, I would put the child's safety before my pride.

With that mindset, only the children of white, heterosexual couples should do anything that puts them in front of the public. When you're a single father, the question of "who's the mom" is bound to come up, so being transparent about that up front is probably better than having to address it when someone else uncovers the facts.