2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Ladies - Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Ladies - Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why don’t people complain we haven’t won a world gold medal in pairs since 1979?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... If I only could find one of Bradie with music... but as I understand it was muted everywhere because of copyright issue?

FWIW, posted yesterday on official NBC Sports channel on YouTube (none of the videos are muted for me in the U.S.):

(Disclaimer: I do not know whether these links already are posted elsewhere on GS.)

Very happy for Bradie and Alysa.

Always love Amber. (Regardless of triple axel.)

Enjoyed SPs from many other ladies.
Good luck to all in the FS -- including but not limited to Audrey, Mariah, Karen, Gabbie, Rena ...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW, posted yesterday on official NBC Sports channel on YouTube (none of the videos are muted for me in the U.S.):

(Disclaimer: I do not know whether these links already are posted elsewhere on GS.)

Very happy for Bradie and Alysa.

Always love Amber. (Regardless of triple axel.)

Enjoyed SPs from many other ladies.
Good luck to all in the FS -- including but not limited to Audrey, Mariah, Karen, Gabbie, Rena ...
Thank you. You are like our own personal Google for figure skating and even know things Google does not.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why don’t people complain we haven’t won a world gold medal in pairs since 1979?

Because it's like beating one's head against a wall? The US pair scene hasn't been that good since the days of Kyoko Ina and her partners.
I hate saying that because pairs is my favorite discipline, but until American pairs can consistently place in the top 8 or so at Worlds or the Olympics we will always be in danger of just sending one team to Worlds or the Olympics, We don't just need help with jumping, we need to know how to compete at a higher level. And not just one US team has to strive to that level. We need multiple teams to be able to skate at a higher caliber.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there not being a Junior competitive season may have been the best thing for Alysa this season because it's given her time to work on the things that needed to be worked on like speed and skating skills and how to deal with her changing body. To keep those big jumps Alysa needed to improve her speed and basic skating or she was never going to do them again when the growth spurts happened but i see improvement in both. Her jumps actually look bigger and i have no doubt that she will be trying the harder jumps again soon and landing them. She has the heart of a champion and getting Jeremy Abbott on her coaching team gives her someone to not only work on her jumps but who also had great skating skills.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

Because in the US for an extremely long time, including the prime television/publicity era of the 90s, the ladies field was treated as the premiere event in figure skating and the US ladies were generally involved in the podium hunt at both Worlds and the Olympics, for 1 or 2 spots on the podium. Then after the 2006 Worlds there has only been 1 medal for the US ladies at Worlds or the Olympics. Pairs on the other hand the US has never been a country with strong competitors for the podium, only 6 Olympic medals for the US in pairs since the 1908 Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Because the US isn’t about pairs. There have still been very strong pairs on the international scene. Meno and Sand were also close with a silver.

But you might as well ask why Japan has had only one World medal ever in pairs and never in dance. Singles is what they are all about, and where all the glory is.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Because the US isn’t about pairs. There have still been very strong pairs on the international scene. Meno and Sand were also close with a silver.

But you might as well ask why Japan has had only one World medal ever in pairs and never in dance. Singles is what they are all about, and where all the glory is.
Japan's working on ice dance slowly, but only has one pairs team. *sigh*

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Nathan in the white shirt... I swear I saw Yuma there for a second. Also, why do they have the same birthday AND SP costume?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rewatch