2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Ladies - Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Ladies - Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NO! No commentary! That's the beauty of the way things are.
Cool with me I can use the $10 a month for other things. Even ice network came up with Nationals commentary and they interviewed every single skater there and made it really special for them. And until last year I had the option of Skate Radio as well.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe. I’d still rather see them healthy. And Eteri’s “first place is a winner and everyone else is a looser” is not healthy.
It‘s not healthy for us mere mortals but top level skaters aren’t mere mortals and have that win at all costs mentality.

Explains why they are at the top of their profession.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel so sad for her now. I wish I could tell her she’s still got this (not this competition obviously. But “it.”)
She looks wonderful and her achievements are EPIC! She did really well tonight, the sparks are there.. I know she wants to win.. it’s in her DNA I guess but she is entitled if anyone is to rest on those laurels a bit... I am looking forward to her free skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You think if you really dug deep, you wont find some unhealthy aspects with them as well?
Probably so. But we have an embarrassment of riches among the men. If they believed only first place were worthy of praise we might only have Nathan. Which would be a tragedy. I can’t imagine someone thinking they were a loser because they came in 2nd to Nathan. Anyone who wants to call Jason a loser is going to have to fight myself and a lot of other people on this board.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She looks wonderful and her achievements are EPIC! She did really well tonight, the sparks are there.. I know she wants to win.. it’s in her DNA I guess but she is entitled if anyone is to rest on those laurels a bit... I am looking forward to her free skate
I just worry because though I was happy enough with her skate she most definitely was NOT and that makes me nervous. Real people were really cheering for her and NO ONE is there.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just worry because though I was happy enough with her skate she most definitely was NOT and that makes me nervous. Real people were really cheering for her and NO ONE is there.
I had to watch her skate after the fact I was so nervous... went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea then watched it later along with the last few skaters.. my stomach gets tied in knots otherwise
Hope she does skate tomorrow.. it is important for her to but i won’t watch til it is over ...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Karen was exquisite tonight and the best performance for me. Her jump landings are still questionable but she is otherwise splendid.

Mariah was fairly solid a bit overscored, but the most egregious one was Bradie. I like her program but there is no way that 3T was even close to rotated.

Good on Liu too placing second without her 3A but it should be first.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had to watch her skate after the fact I was so nervous... went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea then watched it later along with the last few skaters.. my stomach gets tied in knots otherwise
Hope she does skate tomorrow.. it is important for her to but i won’t watch til it is over ...
The woman is a star. She just needs to know it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It‘s not healthy for us mere mortals but top level skaters aren’t mere mortals and have that win at all costs mentality.

Explains why they are at the top of their profession.
As a former top level skater, I'll back @moonvine here b/c it's not healthy for any of us no matter our mentality.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US does not have some moral high ground over other countries. But convincing ourselves we do is very American.
No doubt we have our problems. Do you believe the answer is to add other problems to our bucket in hopes of getting a shiny shiny medal?

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
No doubt we have our problems. Do you believe the answer is to add other problems to our bucket in hopes of getting a shiny shiny medal?

where are you even getting that Eteri tells her skaters they are “losers” if they don’t come in first place or that the Russian ladies are unhealthy? If you are referring to their size, maybe they are just naturally small.
I feel like none of this stuff has ever been proven and people throw it out there just to hate on them.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a former top level skater, I'll back @moonvine here b/c it's not healthy for any of us no matter our mentality.
But you still put yourselves through it, don’t you?

And if you don‘t someone else will.

Call it unhealthy, unethical, or whatever. But the fact remains that in order to be the best, you have to make a lot of sacrifices. And let’s face it, as spectators we benefit because of that mentality.

I can’t, and won’t, condemn any athlete that has a take no prisoners approach. I love Eteri‘s school and the skating it produces. People willingly go there.

And I love that they want to be even better.

Last edited: