2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Phil Hersch chimed in on Alysa yet—claiming he discovered her, perhaps?

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with Johnny. Mariah is the complete package and had she stood up on the lutz, she'd be on top of the podium. A gorgeous program from her regardless. Best of luck to her at Worlds.

musicfan98

On the Ice
I agree with Johnny. Mariah is the complete package and had she stood up on the lutz, she'd be on top of the podium. A gorgeous program from her regardless. Best of luck to her at Worlds.

Of the top 4, Mariah's performance was my favorite. Even with the fall it was choreographed really well.

bobbob

Medalist
Let's just say whoever was in charge of calling URs today either is incompetent or was in an extremely generous mood.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Okay everyone. Let’s drop the pitchforks for a second and put one thing into perspective here. Fans have been BEGGING from far and wide for a talented teenager with the potential to take USFS back to its glory days of ladies skating for OVER A DECADE. Now here’s Alysa, serving up that wish on a silver platter, and the teen vs. women debate shows up before she’s even left her seat in the kiss and cry.

I get it. We don’t want her to crash and burn from the tremendous amount of pressure placed on her shoulders, or to battle the puberty monster, or to be a 1-to-2 season wonder.

These issues, while perfectly valid, are often accompanied by an insidious form of toxic cynicism, disguised as altruistic concern, which directly contributes to the meltdown-by-pressure that we claim to fear, but also fuel.

How about we, as fans, support and encourage this young lady by consciously choosing not to take this beaten down path? Please don’t get me wrong, I fully believe that constructive criticism is both good AND necessary, when merited. However, automically panicking and writing Alysa off - simply because of the potential negative scenarios that COULD happen in future seasons - is counterproductive and disrespectful to her accomplishments this evening.

Nobody should be labelled as a has-been before they’re even given the chance to just BE.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Let's just say whoever was in charge of calling URs today either is incompetent or was in an extremely generous mood.

I am not really sure it was really a good thing for Alysa. I see USFS wanted make a statement against Japan and Russia, but I am rather worried than excited about her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not really sure it was really a good thing for Alysa. I see USFS wanted make a statement against Japan and Russia, but I am rather worried than excited about her.

The statement was made by Alysa on behalf of USFSA ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to the podium. Two veterans over the age of 20 and two exciting teens.

I'm a bit surprised that Alysa did it but she seized the moment when Bradie and Mariah fell on their lutzes.

I was most impressed with Hanna, I had seen her a couple of times before but she was the surprise pewter medalist.

And Ting almost made it, she was third in the free.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would have had Mariah above Bradie in the final washup. Mariah was just so much more fluid tonight, much more solid. Bradie made more mistakes and seemed stiff and nervous.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have had Mariah above Bradie in the final washup. Mariah was just so much more fluid tonight, much more solid. Bradie made more mistakes and seemed stiff and nervous.

The 3-3 problem absolutley holds Mariah back. It’s a shame she never developed the jump earlier in her career. It’s her only noticeable flaw I can find.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So angry I was not able to chat live with you all while the event was on!

Last Tuesday (1/15) I turned 50 and a family party and a night out with friends was planned for last Saturday and Sunday. My area was predicted to have very bad weather, so both parties were postponed until this weekend, and I had a dinner out already planned for tonight, so that means I'm missing pretty much all of the Europeans and US Nationals. I am DVRing them, but it's not the same.

I shouldn't complain, it's good to be surrounded by people who want to celebrate with me!

Anyway....back to the topic.

I would've had Mariah ahead of Bradie, Mariah's program was my favorite, and they each had one fall.

Alysa.....she's amazing with the jumps, but her program on a whole did nothing for me. I'm sure that since she has all these jumps down, that she'll be focusing on her artistry in the future and that won't be an issue.

I think it's kinda funny that both Russia and the US will not be sending their National Champions to the Worlds, because they're too young.

Felt bad for Amber Glenn, after the amazing short, she just couldn't keep it together for the long.

Mixed feelings about Starr, I wanted a higher placement for her, but after her rough season on the Grand Prix circuit, it was good to see her stay on her blades. Once she gets her consistency down, and a more difficult triple-triple combo, she'll be in a better placement.

b-man

Final Flight
Courtney is just never going to happen at Nats is she? *sigh* Shame really...because when she DOES do well she actually can challenge and be a decent international skater but because she never does well enough at domestic competition she can never really get an international career.

She's only a shell of her former ability.

b-man

Final Flight
First time seeing Sierra Venetta. Me likey! Even without the biggest technical arsenal, she is graceful and a joyful presence on the ice.

She was slow, but took her time and skated within her ability, resulting in clean jumps.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So angry I was not able to chat live with you all while the event was on!

Last Tuesday (1/15) I turned 50 and a family party and a night out with friends was planned for last Saturday and Sunday. My area was predicted to have very bad weather, so both parties were postponed until this weekend, and I had a dinner out already planned for tonight, so that means I'm missing pretty much all of the Europeans and US Nationals. I am DVRing them, but it's not the same.

I shouldn't complain, it's good to be surrounded by people who want to celebrate with me!

Anyway....back to the topic.

I would've had Mariah ahead of Bradie, Mariah's program was my favorite, and they each had one fall.

Alysa.....she's amazing with the jumps, but her program on a whole did nothing for me. I'm sure that since she has all these jumps down, that she'll be focusing on her artistry in the future and that won't be an issue.

I think it's kinda funny that both Russia and the US will not be sending their National Champions to the Worlds, because they're too young.

Felt bad for Amber Glenn, after the amazing short, she just couldn't keep it together for the long.

Mixed feelings about Starr, I wanted a higher placement for her, but after her rough season on the Grand Prix circuit, it was good to see her stay on her blades. Once she gets her consistency down, and a more difficult triple-triple combo, she'll be in a better placement.

Happy belated Bday :hb:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone else think it's extremely shady to Bradie how Johnny keeps repeating that Mariah is the most complete package of the top three (..........even though it's arguably true........)?

Mariah has a bit of Sasha Cohen in her...