2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Alysa not being able to go to Senior or even Junior Worlds is a good thing actually. It lets the hype die down a bit and she can get back to working on the things she will need next season when she can compete internationally. It certainly is strange to have a winning Senior ladies champion who can't go to any world championship and who's season is over.

On a different topic: I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I thought there was no way USFSA would crown a ladies champion that young. Obviously, that was not correct.

I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but I am satisfied that the result is fair. The favored ladies opened the door a crack, and the new champion delivered a stunning roundhouse kick to blow it off the hinges. ...

Personally, I have never come out the winner when I have tried to guess what Machiavellian schemes the USFSA might have up it's sleeve. It never made sense to me that the federation would have any interest in who wins a U.S. skating competition than just, "Who skated best?"

Wjy would they want a young champion? Why would they want an old champion? Why would they want a champion with inflated scores? Why would they want a champion with depressed scores? Why would they want to prop up this guy and hold down that guy?

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
What a beautiful competition.. quite unexpected.. I'm very happy for Mariah and Ting having the "skate of their lives"... all ladies at the top were superb... :luv17:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well that sure was interesting.. I hadn't even heard of Alysa Liu previously to watching her on TV at US Nationals.. She is the future of US skating... shes up there with those little Russian girls. She deserved to win for sure. I find it quite amusing that shes even too young to enter the Jr worlds and that now shes done so shes off to Disney!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I have never come out the winner when I have tried to guess what Machiavellian schemes the USFSA might have up it's sleeve. It never made sense to me that the federation would have any interest in who wins a U.S. skating competition than just, "Who skated best?"

Wjy would they want a young champion? Why would they want an old champion? Why would they want a champion with inflated scores? Why would they want a champion with depressed scores? Why would they want to prop up this guy and hold down that guy?

There's definitely truth in what you say.

However, on the off chance that USFSA were trying to make an international case that well-rounded skaters with a mature artistic sensibility are preferable to upstart jumping bean phenoms, some might think they've shot themselves in the foot when the national champ is a 13 year old who isn't even old enough for Junior Worlds.

That said, I really don't think there was any room for leeway. Alysa skated lights out. The other skaters were just not good enough on the night.

temadd

Final Flight
There's definitely truth in what you say.

However, on the off chance that USFSA were trying to make an international case that well-rounded skaters with a mature artistic sensibility are preferable to upstart jumping bean phenoms, some might think they've shot themselves in the foot when the national champ is a 13 year old who isn't even old enough for Junior Worlds.

That said, I really don't think there was any room for leeway. Alysa skated lights out. The other skaters were just not good enough on the night.

Hannah Harrell was really overlooked. She skated 2 clean programs with 3Lz3T, no unders, not one negative GOE. I realize that she needs maturity but so does Alysa. I thought she was underscored. USFSA needs to put skaters who can perform CLEAN, difficult content under pressure at the top. I enjoy those entertaining, artistic skaters who fall and under-rotate, but they won't cut it internationally.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hannah looked rough in person in how she presented her programs. Ting was much more impressive in the rink