2019 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Mens Short Program

patchris84

On the Ice
Our commentators were saying that PJ is in love with figure skating and just loves to skate. He works as a stuntman in the movies and trains at the rink at nights. His first major international competition happens right now - world championship at the 25 years of age. It's like happy end of the "dreams come true" story. We need those happy-feeling movies, stories not about wins, but determination.
But maybe our commentators were lying. Still great plot though. Better than "Eddie The Eagle".

Thank you for the news ! Stunt in the movies, this is a profession that can be very useful in the world of skating ! :)
In any case, he has a lot of merit and I would have liked that he passes the cut. With more competitions and attention, next year maybe...

badknees

Medalist
If you aren’t doing quads you are not really doing skating in 2019!! You aren’t in men’s and you aren’t even in junior ladies! It’s just about you declaring personal war on jump progress! It must not be acceptable. You are about abolishing quads maybe?

Is there still talk of the ISU going to a tech program and an artistic program?
That might help with the debate over quads. Although that could make the debate even worse.

IMHO we need to remember the word "figure" in figure skating.
I think they need to bring "figures" back. We have lost great edges in figure skating since "figures" no longer need to be practiced.
Or how about: get rid of the silly team competition and throw in a jump competition for a separate medal, then we could go back to the overall package called Figure Skating.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I watched it again - Raf said ‘Molodets, horosho’ after Nathan got his scores, and Nathan responded, ‘Yeah’

Country
Norway
Oh wow! I just catched up with rest of the SP and oh my god that was some performances :luv17: I would also first mention the INCREDIBLE audience! Wow, so supporting. The way they went crazy with both Jason and Nathan was so fantastic! (and all the others of course!)

So where to start...

Nathans performance was so fun to watch. I love the choreo and music choice, it was something different and it suited him well! He nailed it, and the first place is well deserved.

I love love love that Jason is in second now. To be there with that huge score withouth any quads is so inspiring. And he is such a good performer, and he was overhappy and the crowd was so supporting and it was amazing :luv17: He may even have a chance of medaling, but in the FS his technical contents may not hold against the rest. But even so, he would probably be like top 5 which is a great achievement! And he is probably very pleased with his small medal. The expression on his face when he saw the score was priceless!

Of course Yuzuru also had a great performance, expect the obvious invalid element of the 2 lutz, which of course cost him a lot of points, but he performed well. His spins are really amazing, and the step sequences are good quality!

Vincents performance was also very fun! I had such fun watching it.

Matteo Rizzo continues his good performance and this placement was well deserved. He is up there, it´s so good!

Also I have to mention Deniss! He was one of my favs today allthough the jumps wasn´t there. He was so fun to watch and everything in the program was so well done! He did a top performance even with those mistakes and that is impressive! I´m looking forward to the FS, and i´m so happy that it´s on saturday and that I finally have time to see it live, and without having to get up really early! This will be so great.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
No its not. He has come from behind and won before [emoji6]

But sadly, not this kind of behind. Fernandez needed to bomb in 2017 during the FS and his scoring potential was not the same as a very consistent Chen's. The divide is also considerably larger this time.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are you serious? Which one of the non-qualifiers got all level 4 on spins and StSq? Jumps are 3 of 7 elements of SP, and weigh a lot, it's obvious, but you really think that a fall on 3A should disqualify at all?
Besides, Jason Brown with THE SAME TECHNICAL CONTENT is 2nd :scratch2:.

Deniss did a 2Lz-3T. Not the same content as Jason, and the 3A fall was not the only mistake.

Xzander

Rinkside
Just finished watching. Nathan Chen leads deservedly. However, the highlights for me were Matteo Rizzo and Jason Brown. I don't get it how Vincent Zhou got more PCSs than Rizzo...

patchris84

On the Ice
Well... I was still clinging to Carolina. Probably always will...

But you’re right, Lucretia has potential. She just needs a triple triple and to firm up the rest of her jumps. With some consistency, she can hold up the rear.

Lucrezia is able to succeed combination 3 lutz 3 toe loop. She just has to try it more regularly and consistently. I wish with you that she develops its potential. :agree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRZJzMGo6gA

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you aren’t doing quads you are not really doing skating in 2019!! You aren’t in men’s and you aren’t even in junior ladies! It’s just about you declaring personal war on jump progress! It must not be acceptable. You are about abolishing quads maybe?

Are we ever going to get to a point where we can collectively put a halt to the blatant emasculation of male figure skaters who don’t have a consistent quad ? Come on now. This has been going on for 11 seasons - possibly longer, but if my memory serves me right, Jeffrey Buttle was on the receiving end of this narrative after his 2008 world championship win, then escalating with evan Lysacek vs. Plushy in 2010.

If you aren’t doing quads you are not really doing skating in 2019!!

But there is another point of view.

Figure skating is not trampoline. When we speak of a "high tech" program, we don't just mean how many times did you spin in the air. Figure skating technique is more about what you do when your blades are in contact with the ice, and ought to be judged accordingly. (It is a sport, after all, not an aerial act.)

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
10 years? 2009, Samuel Contesti.
yeah but it was a french product, that has then find its home and better results on Italy. Its results of that season were kind of an abnormality, for Italy, who has filled a void of decades.

If we think about it, prior to Matteo, on the men discipline, Italy was dominated for almost 20 years at nationals by athletes comes from different countries.

Matteo and Daniel are representing a new generation comes from almost nothing in the discipline.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
There are things I like about Vincent, and there are things he could work on. Just like all skaters.

The reactions some people have to him are way over the top. It makes me root for him even harder.

Yup. That 4Lz 3T was as clean as they come.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Lazukin and Litvintsev and Samohin too low.

Yeah, comparing to the skaters who were skating in last groups, they are scored too low for what they produced. I agree with you (E: looking at the numbers, judges scored Nathan, Jason and Yuzuru 10 points higher in PCS, adding the fact that both Lazukin and Litvintsev had a clean program with a quad :eeking:) Thats just solidify my idea that starting order may be more important than one would have believed.

Ziotic

Medalist
So disappointed. Now we probably won't even see him on major tv. Canada is down to one man right now at this point. USA is soaring!

No, if Nam and Keegan hold their spots, Canada keeps 2 spots for next year 13+14=27, which is less than the 28 total for 2 spots.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And folks: he didn’t fall or pop! How many with quads managed that today? Nathan, Matteo, Aymoz, Nam, Lazukin, Majorov, Litvintsiv ….. who else? Brendan if the 3salchsow was deliberate :)

Brendan's 3S was definitely not deliberate. He made the chicken signal to Morozov as he came off - ie he chickened out of pulling in for the 4S. He may have been worried about no combo-ing himself.

I think he should have got more points for it. After all, the judges showered Uno in points for a deliberate, planned 3S-3T in the SP at 4CC.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, comparing to the skaters who were skating in last groups, they are scored too low for what they produced. I agree with you (E: looking at the numbers, judges scored Nathan, Jason and Yuzuru 10 points higher in PCS, adding the fact that both Lazukin and Litvintsev had a clean program with a quad :eeking:) Thats just solidify my idea that starting order may be more important than one would have believed.

No way in heck Litvintsev or Lazukin should even be within 10 points of the PCS on Jason’s SP here, I don’t care if they landed eight quads.:). And I actually enjoyed Litvintsevs skate more than I thought I would.

I think starting order is important, but comparing anyone’s PCS to Jason’s is not the proof:biggrin:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Well... I was still clinging to Carolina. Probably always will...

But you’re right, Lucretia has potential. She just needs a triple triple and to firm up the rest of her jumps. With some consistency, she can hold up the rear.

carolina is not eternal as this season has showed, in my opinion lucrezia needs another season in juniors (as probably daniel) but she (and daniel) will be pushed in seniors next year because, let's face it, we don't have anybody else who can get us 2 spots or fill them (and good bye to our 3 jwr spots)