2019 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Mens Short Program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Deniss is a great skater, his spins are really amazing and all....and still I think it's a bit unfair that he qualified with that kind of technical content while others who were in the earlier groups didn't. One of the things that left a bitter aftertaste for me here.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I had a meeting and missed almost all final group, but re-watched Jason and...WOW. The quality level, complexity level of EVERY single move and gesture was astounding, absolutely extraordinary for me. He OWNED that program completely, with all it bears and then brings - the program brings the absolute best out of Jason, too. It is a vehicle for me that highlights the meaning of 'total package' in such important way, it stresses how important is to have an actual choreography and give it a shape/meaning in action. Jason showed since IdF that this is such a fitting concept for him, BUT he managed to grow it out into something bigger, into a STATEMENT of his skill, capability and development as a performer; for me, it is an iconic performance of an iconic, totally one of a kind program I'll re-watch many, many times.

First thing is that with that kind of program and skater Jason is/his 'brand' of performance it is for me crucial to bring out the comfortable balance between that sensual lingering feel/sexy vibe of the guitar/singer's voice and control/composure over build-up made by movement, to say the sentence before exclamation point, not force out the emotion and tension out too quickly - and this Jason, after change he made, proves that he really mastered that ability exquisitely. His every move connects with the next one SEAMLESSLY, connects with and in-between all elements, connects within the music, not even 'with' the music, but sinks so deep inside of the rhythm you cannot notice both perspectives of music & movement. Jason's advantage is definitely the way he operates musicality, how his movement organically 'agrees' with different kind of pieces he skates to - with this Two Feet one, he expresses these words, dare and edge almost threadbare-like, I can't really imagine another way to pull off this kind of vehicle & music like Jason does, he set not only a standard for himself, but for others too I feel.

Choreography blends with the music and becomes such a powerful, impactful weapon in Jason's whole body - when I see for example Vincent, I acknowledge what he executes, the difficulty, some series of movements and the music, ALL of them SEPARATELY though; with Jason and this SP, his seamless transitioning between every element and musical phrase, he makes a complete vision, a spectacle ending too soon, because I did not catch all the nuance and message carried by it. It all may look simple (and not even talking about him having only triples there), but the most difficult trait in my opinion is to showcase in best way what you have, not showing what you're lacking, the confidence in delivery of a complex wholesome for evaluation. I feel that Jason after the change became more assured about his best qualities and got more 'courageous' to show them off as his advantage, even in highly competitive surroundings - he went there with self-focus and some kind of calm energy that allowed him to captivate people by sheer force of what he produced, not the opinion about him, his BV, his competition record; it was not an attempt to convince someone I feel, but a manifesto of him being devoted to his style and identity which really amped the general impression of performance.

The way nuance works in this choreography, in motion while performed - simply outstanding, making the whole experience so...tasty, rich, multi-dimensional to witness. The kick after jump, an extension of arm going from spins, the whole transitional movement between 1st and 2nd spin, how he operates his arms throughout the choreography, the sharp finish of every pose at the beginning - these things are never forced by Jason, they just co-exist within DNA of that program for me, adding Russian split, spins positions, how his body accentuates guitar rhythm it enriches the whole picture, but never feels 'over-showy' or over-embellished. It takes a lot of control and self-consciousness to make 'cool' tricks an integral part of performance; the way choreography highlights music by jumps, spins, finishing with step sequence is one thing, but to give it that edge and make it a successful vehicle from judging standpoint/to showcase these PCS categories in all their glory, to get that GOE for quality, it's all about way Jason does it in motion. Yeah, it is a vehicle totally in his alley, but it won't work out itself magically into such score and profound impression left in people.

About lack of quads...I have my own look on that and actually allow skaters work their best with al they have to get me involved, not exactly making them technical expectations to achieve to be considered 'a good skater, a valid skater, skater worthy attention, competitive skater. What I like about Jason especially now, seeing just more confidence in caring himself, is that he owns the responsibility of what he already achieved (trying to still elevate it) and what he would like to achieve. Yes, he has not a stable quad, even this elusive one, but I am encouraged to see him trying in pace that won't belittle or reduce an impact of his already owned capabilities. I feel that both his programs this season represent what he already mastered (SP) and what his challenges are (FS). I am simply glad that he seems to find that balance and courage in both sides of the coin which possibly allowed him to produce SP performance like today's.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Rizzo makes the final flight — when’s the last time an Italian man managed that?

:yahoo: i didn't even know an italian man did it 10 years ago.

Matteo and Daniel would have me put Italy in the run for a Olympic Team medal. But they have to have a strong woman to make it happen.

we got some promising junior ladies like lucrezia beccari, but she needs to upgrade her tech and work on her confidence and jumps

And I really liked Hallam, kinda sad that he couldn't make it to the FP. But I still think that his life would make a great movie.

starring himself as...himself :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
If you aren’t doing quads you are not really doing skating in 2019!! You aren’t in men’s and you aren’t even in junior ladies! It’s just about you declaring personal war on jump progress! It must not be acceptable. You are about abolishing quads maybe?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Especially with the new rules this year, there's clearly room for those without quads (yet) but with beautiful execution and everything else - like Jason.

Nathan is my favorite, but I think saying men without quads (don't even) belong in junior ladies is not necessary.

Congrats to everyone today:luv17:

icetug

Medalist
Deniss is a great skater, his spins are really amazing and all....and still I think it's a bit unfair that he qualified with that kind of technical content while others who were in the earlier groups didn't. One of the things that left a bitter aftertaste for me here.

Are you serious? Which one of the non-qualifiers got all level 4 on spins and StSq? Jumps are 3 of 7 elements of SP, and weigh a lot, it's obvious, but you really think that a fall on 3A should disqualify at all?
Besides, Jason Brown with THE SAME TECHNICAL CONTENT is 2nd :scratch2:.

frida80

Record Breaker
He said - molodets , horosho / good job, good ?
Nathan - horosho / good

:laugh:

Nathan speaks Russian too? The things I don’t know about this guy. I guess that would make sense, they’ve been training together for almost a decade.

Ziotic

Medalist
Good vibes sent to the Canadian men and the Russian men...A Canadian man needs to get into the top 10 and a Russian man needs to hang on to the top 10.
There are too many talents in both places for just one spot :pray:

Canada doesn’t need a man in top ten if you are referring to keeping two spots. The total placement just needs to add up to 28, so 13+14 would work! The same applies for Russia and two spots, but for 3 spots it’s looking like a tall order.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Are you serious? Which one of the non-qualifiers got all level 4 on spins and StSq? Jumps are 3 of 7 elements of SP, and weigh a lot, it's obvious, but you really think that a fall on 3A should disqualify at all?
Besides, Jason Brown with THE SAME TECHNICAL CONTENT is 2nd :scratch2:.

Huh? Maybe I remember wrong, but didn't he have a messed up triple-triple combination in the short, and Jason had one? Sorry, if I got that wrong, of course he should qualify with the same content as Jason's.:pray:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan speaks Russian too? The things I don’t know about this guy. I guess that would make sense, they’ve been training together for almost a decade.

Yeah, if you've had a Russian coach that long - you definitely know molodets/horosho ... well, the probably rare times Raf would say those words:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was a very solid performance from Nathan. The scoring gap is completely justified.

He should be very proud of that, especially considering the problems with illness over the past week.

I still think his US Nats performance was better.

frida80

Record Breaker
:yahoo: i didn't even know an italian man did it 10 years ago.

we got some promising junior ladies like lucrezia beccari, but she needs to upgrade her tech and work on her confidence and jumps

starring himself as...himself :biggrin:

Well... I was still clinging to Carolina. Probably always will...

But you’re right, Lucretia has potential. She just needs a triple triple and to firm up the rest of her jumps. With some consistency, she can hold up the rear.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
After all the negativity towards Vincent I want to say that I love his gorgeous huge 4lutz/3toe. And that he obviously is working on his jumps as well as other elements. In my memory as long as I have seen him he’s done level 4 (with +GOE) spins pretty much always. He is introvert and seems nervous when he skates. But he is only 18 and I’m looking forward to following him progressing at everything for many years to come. I’m sure he’ll find his own style eventually.

Way to go Vincent!

And folks: he didn’t fall or pop! How many with quads managed that today? Nathan, Matteo, Aymoz, Nam, Lazukin, Majorov, Litvintsiv ….. who else? Brendan if the 3salchsow was deliberate :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After all the negativity towards Vincent I want to say that I love his gorgeous huge 4lutz/3toe. And that he obviously is working on his jumps as well as other elements. In my memory as long as I have seen him he’s done level 4 (with +GOE) spins pretty much always. He is introvert and seems nervous when he skates. But he is only 18 and I’m looking forward to following him progressing at everything for many years to come. I’m sure he’ll find his own style eventually.

Way to go Vincent!

And folks: he didn’t fall or pop! How many with quads managed that today? Nathan, Matteo, Aymoz, Nam, Lazukin, Majorov, Litvintsiv ….. who else? Brendan if the 3salchsow was deliberate :)

There are things I like about Vincent, and there are things he could work on. Just like all skaters.

The reactions some people have to him are way over the top. It makes me root for him even harder.

Plisskin

Medalist
Finally finished watching the top skates and left away loving Jason Brown even more. SP of the competition for me.