2019 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

Seven Sisters

Medalist
At this point I don't think it's the programs that are the issue. Their programs here were fine and well suited for them--they just bring nothing else to it beyond perfectly executed elements, and when the elements aren't absolutely perfect like tonight, the performance really falls short.

T/M did do well in the SP. I thought Vlad had much more presence then usual. I’m hoping he’s been working with Coach Trankov on bringing that out more!

neusw

On the Ice
There is something about what you said. Seeing Wenjing and Cong like that, one have to wonder if something truly personalized, a sprinkle of unsaid something, is needed for a highly skilled, talented, beautifully presenting pair to get an edge...

In a sense they are a little unlucky because in many years, beautiful classical presentation and perfect execution would be more than enough to win, but in their career so far they've had to compete with teams that can do all that but are also phenomenal artists to boot, like S/H and S/M.

Lota

Record Breaker
Well, you would know how us, the fans of Stolbova/Klimov, feel then :laugh: Just kidding, they still have plenty chances :)

Don't remind me :drama: I always assumed that they would get it together for a perfect performance at Worlds one day, and yet... oh well. :console:

I just hope that this 2nd place does not discourage them, but rather encourages them to fight even harder next year. I want them to travel, try new things, do something, anything that'll bring out a spark in their programs and performances and make them win. Both they and long-suffering fans like me deserve this :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am still sad that Peng and Jin did not get the bronze. It was wonderful to see them really perform the heck out of their program, and be so joyful about it. :(

But Sui and Han were wonderful! Congratulations to them!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sui/Han got three 10.0s for IN and I can't complain

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I'll need to watch the program again (and again) (and again), but -

I was so worried as they stepped on the ice, because there was this kind of rigid frozen look on Sui's face, and as much as we know she's an Empress, she's a fighter, we also know she cried leading up to Pyeongchang before the programs, that she absolutely feels the pressure, that she knows she can't rely on experience and confidence with this program, and -

And Han just keeps reaching for her and leads her through all of it, holds her securely through all the elements, lets her soar through the air. I never had any doubt that he was going to let her fall or fall on any of his elements himself. And when that 3S was landed and the music started to accelerate, you just could see the invisible chains start to fall off and them letting go. There was a desperation, a passion, a release and a wild joy and reach in the second half of this program and it was like their souls were twin suns evolving around each other until that last note, the supernova. I'm going to feel the gravity of this for such a long time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tim and Ashley did get credit for rotating their triple loops.

Peng got dinged for underrotating the 3S and lost some levels.

ragdoll

On the Ice
Well, to sum it up: The only pairs that really gave me something were Sui/Han and James/Cipres. Both pairs give a lasting feeling by showing emotions and true artistry and having good programmes.

smythe

Rinkside
T/M did do well in the SP. I thought Vlad had much more presence then usual. I’m hoping he’s been working with Coach Trankov on bringing that out more!

Really? Their SP was definitely the best this season, but I thought they definitely were doing it better all of last year. Maybe not as much presence, but the energy felt higher last year. The SP at this years WC felt very flat energy wise. Especially if they’re skating to rachmaninoff 2, it’s not a low energy program like some Chopins could be.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love how Natalia seems to look taller than COng when thye took group picture on the ice :laugh:

oly2018

Final Flight
I love that S/H brought back the old spin and still lost levels :laugh2: Some things never change . . .

They wouldn't be them if they didn't. At least it wasn't as bad as the 4CC one. S/H fans need to take the little wins. :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
+1.23 GOE on the salchow I think pigs are flying

Am I missing where the GOEs are up? Just came up from the Telly room and I thought I saw Vlad put a hand down on a Triple and get a positive GOE? Maybe I am seeing things...wont be the first time. LOVE S/H. Seems like a long time ago since PaulE and I watched her crash into the boards in front of us at Portland practice and he comforted her and soothed her....

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a quick post to let you know that Eurosport's 6 hour marathon of figure skating coverage is starting now with an hour of highlights from the Pairs FS.

Here is the link for the British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/d05aabd8-06c3-4f80-a7b5-c585f9cd980f

Starting with #13 Vanessa James / Morgan Cipres

Simon Reed and Chris Howarth on commentary.

Also, since I wasn't able to post about the LIVE coverage in this thread last night, I will paste the details from my Competition Reminder post in here now:

Here is the link for the archived BBC Red Button coverage on the iPlayer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-sports/47331319

Here is the link for the archived World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...pionship/4a9e27c5-a6ae-4b92-8e6e-df7289fd7a15

Unfortunately, the Pairs FS is not being shown LIVE on Eurosport's linear channels. :disapp:

HOWEVER, there will be an hour of highlights of the Pairs FS at 06:00 GMT, directly before the LIVE coverage of the Men's SP starts.

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/d05aabd8-06c3-4f80-a7b5-c585f9cd980f

Here is the Time Schedule of the Pairs FS:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/time0305.pdf

And here is the Live Scoring:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/data0305.htm

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS PREDICTIONS GAME RESULTS - PAIRS

Hello, everyone. Here go the results of the Worlds Predictions Game's first event. The podium has undergone significant changes as compared with the one after the SP. Out of 35 small gold medalists, only 3 of them were able to maintain the highest position. 103 out of 117 participants gained small medals after the SP, while after the ending notes of Sui/Han's music, there was place for "only" 77 medalists on the podium.

The final results is that we have 3 gold, 16 silver and 58 bronze medalists. Congratulations to everyone, especially to 5 participants who predicted Zabiiako/Enbert on the podium: CaroLiza_fan, Sherlock Marple, Step Sequence4, TT_Fin (correct bronze medal position) and Marius (silver medal).

The podium is as follows:

90 points

Becki
cake
casualfan
Dreamer57
figurefan0726
invisiblespiral
Jeanie19
Kittosuni
LadyB
lichi
lutz
MrECartman
Pocaguri
RoyThree
Shedi0806
StephenGfan
110 points

jenaj
KlausA
moonstruck
80 points

Alexcdj
apgold
Azcha
Baron Vladimir
baymax24
BravesSkateFan
cabres
CanadianSkaterGuy
CaroLiza_fan
Chris Cooper
DenissVFan
desertskates
dunnoww
elektra blue
FSLover17
GINO
gizmo
gonewiththewind25
hoamay254
Hyena
IndiaP12
katymay
Koatterce
LaArdilla
Ladybug89
LanaD
Maju
Maria Anna
Marin
marulia
Naaat
Nadjell
NoNameFace
noraaa
NYscorp6
okokok1777
Phireye
ragdoll
readernick
Roast Toast
ruga
Sabine
SashaJuliaSpins
satine
Seven Sisters
Shakuhachi
Sherlock Marple
Skater Boy
SnowWhite
StitchMonkey
sunnystars
taylor1
TheBallerina
TT_Fin
voolfee
Winry
Yuzuruu
Ziotic

All the results will be uploaded to the Google Spreadsheet once the general Worlds Prediction Game thread is open again.

Last edited:

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Sui/Han were magnificent tonight.
I'm in love with Boikova/Kozlovsky.
And good placement for Ryom/Kim. Though they still can do better, and I hope they will.